Water (Drought) Restrictions Incoming

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
I believe we are entering a fairly long drought cycle that is the historic norm for the Southwest. Pretty sure it has been discussed here at some point before.... The modeling used to divvy up the Colorado River allotments and to size the dam and reservoir system were based on faulty data. They used data from what has now been confirmed as an unusually wet period. Based on this faulty data, we've mismanaged our most precious resource and will now suffer the consequences:
All future quiver shots will now feature brown lawns.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I believe we are entering a fairly long drought cycle that is the historic norm for the Southwest. Pretty sure it has been discussed here at some point before.... The modeling used to divvy up the Colorado River allotments and to size the dam and reservoir system were based on faulty data. They used data from what has now been confirmed as an unusually wet period. Based on this faulty data, we've mismanaged our most precious resource and will now suffer the consequences:
All future quiver shots will now feature brown lawns.
Way late in 805 laws have not existed since first drought :toilet:

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Yeah don’t the Israelis have large scale, efficient, relatively affordable desalinization plants all figured out and functioning?

Reactions: johnson7 and npsp

austard

Michael Peterson status
Nov 12, 2009
State of Grace
Is it possible to have a floating desal plant which can be shipped from port to port to follow droughts around the World???

p.s. I think Israel has an ongoing need for desal plants because of sparse rain fall being the Norm. I'm not sure what they do with the brine stream, maybe they pump it into the Dead Sea?

p.p.s. Our desal plant is in mothballs and still costs $$$millions per year as per the private contract obligations...

Reactions: Boneroni

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Desal does use a lot of electricity and does change the seawater chemistry in the vicinity of the outflow pipes, so it's not a completely environmentally perfect solution. Still, if coastal communities all invested in desal and tertiary sewage treatment with wastewater reclamation systems, it would be a huge plus.

A huger plus would be to convince agriculture to change some of their practices, but that's another, bigger battle.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Why are desal plants not an option?
$$$$$ to maintain plants cheaper and faster "band aid" to buy/steal h20 from others. I like my ole mans solution and stop wasting $$$ on amtrack buy out and use tracks to ship h20 from East or South east etc flooded states:drowning:

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
Ocean/Brackish Water Desal and Indirect/Direct Potable Reuse are totally doable and will be a requirement moving forward. The power issue is easily solvable and the brine discharge for ocean water desal is mitigatable. The costs will go up but they have to to meet the demands of a growing population with limited/shrinking resources.
All of this could be done but as noted above, the ruling class in Sacramento has more important special interests to serve.