Un-official 2021 Tropical action thread

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Seemed a little less consistent and a bit more walled. I liked the side-texture yesterday. Seemed like it was easier to get a pocket and get a long peeler for ground covering railings and pockety schwackings. Today the offshore was kind of straight off and it walled it out a bit. The ones that tapered great yesterday kind of walled and bent away. More of a cram a turn or two in and straighten out. If I could have blended the sideshore yesterday and the offshore today it would have been real good.

More crowded, too. Saw some guy and his buddy paddle out, basically make it to the lineup, a guy who had been out a while had a right come to him, goes, hilariously whoot hoot screech calls the immediate arrival off; got completely and utterly torched in spite of just obvious groomed orderly line and commitment, takeoff, etc.

Still enough of an impact zone/foam-man's-land to cut the log problem. Seemed like the ones that did make it out didn't last long, either got one and got caught or just got caught.

Reactions: Mr Doof

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Didn’t end up surfing today. Wind was wonky and weird and I had a lot of work to deal with, and of course as soon as I got on a 330 train into the city for the client thing, the wind went north and my beach breaks started firing, naturally

ill make up with a double tomorrow

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011
Folly late today was about as good as it gets. Seems a good dose of south windswell from that tropical storm mixed in with Larry's groundswell and it was offshore, sunny, overhead a frame peaks everywhere after Mindy went well offshore. Looked like a fun NW/SW combo at HB but with 80 degree water.
Folly is one of the most fun waves I've surfed when it's on...Would drive down from UNCW on the S swells when the wind wasn't right in ILM. Kinda like a shallower Carolina Beach. Glad ya scored :shaka:

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
This morning it was pretty much maxed out at the end of my street. Not many guys making it through the impact zone and of those who did get out the back very few going for it. A handful of gems ridden by the top guys around. This guy gets points for the worst wipeout I saw.

Capture.JPG

These two foam board warriors thought they'd give it a go......and even get the goPro footage. :roflmao::drowning::roflmao:

Capture3333.JPG

Last edited:

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
How long does it take to get outside in these conditions?

View attachment 116099
Zero if you know what you're dong. Wade out into the whitewater, wait for the last wave in the set to wash in, dry hair scoot out the back. These Cape Verde storms that turn out past the islands, unless your board can't be duck dove, it's usually not bad unless you get hit by the first wave of the set, right on the button, and there's a set behind it.

Unless the perspective is messing with my vision? It doesn't have the nearshore trough/broad outside sandbar look where you might get 60+ yards of roiling soup look to it.

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
it was and is pumping here. overhead backhand pig dog tubes all morning. Few hours of work, and getting right back on it for the low tide afternoon/evening sesh. Y....E.....W
pics or it didn't happen :shameonyou:

surfadelphia

Nep status
Nov 15, 2010
This morning it was pretty much maxed out at the end of my street. Not many guys making it through the impact zone and of those who did get out the back very few going for it. A handful of gems ridden by the top guys around. This guy gets points for the worst wipeout I saw.

View attachment 116081

These two foam board warriors thought they'd give it a go......and even get the goPro footage. :roflmao::drowning::roflmao:

View attachment 116082
I checked that out in the morning, watched guys getting smoked on denied on the paddle out and surfed a closer to shore wave further north. Got smoked but at least the paddle was easy.
Last afternoon/evening was a lot more fun

Reactions: mundus

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Kinda lame for me today, painfully long lulls and mostly closeouts. Plus heart was not into it, stoked for everyone who scored. Yesterday was the pick for me.

Last edited:

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
i may have pics when Bob goes through the 3000+ photos he shot this morning. I know i had a good long barrel (before it pinched me) right in front of him. I said "Hey Bob dija get it?!" and he shrugged and said "man i've taken so many pics in the last 60 seconds alone i have no idea!"

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
On a hunch this AM, took my son and surfed a not very accessible and highly fickle SCarolina sandspit point on the dying embers of Larry's swell. Waist high, offshore breezed longboard perfection. Some of our rides were probably a quarter mile long with only a couple of friends out. I'd never taken the grom there and he was flat out amazed. Pretty damn good noodle armed father/son session to wind down one of the best local runs of swell I've seen in quite a long time.

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
After several days of big closeouts in SC NC, ran up to AC NJ on Friday and caught really nice clean shoulder-high sets this morning at that really fun left in front of that pier :waving:

Salvaged my whole Larry experience :cheers:

Reactions: potato-nator