What does your surfboard say about you? LOL

JTS

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 22, 2004
Mine says “I’m old AF, I just need to catch some waves- eff busting air, fins out the back- worried about busting a hip”

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I only see the Slater, Hypto, and Firewire; is it a slideshow or something? I don't have Instagram so half of these embeds render a login/signup blurb.

Neither of the Hypto people I know fits the bill, but the Firewire is spot on, except the person in question kills polys dead in months and snapped a Merrick tuflite at Mayport on a chest high day. It was a high tide inside day at least.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
I only see the Slater, Hypto, and Firewire; is it a slideshow or something? I don't have Instagram so half of these embeds render a login/signup blurb.

Neither of the Hypto people I know fits the bill, but the Firewire is spot on, except the person in question kills polys dead in months and snapped a Merrick tuflite at Mayport on a chest high day. It was a high tide inside day at least.
Yes. Strangely longboards were left out.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Yes. Strangely longboards were left out.
Maybe Australia really is the Lucky Country?

I was gonna say strange to see a Super, a JC, and Sharp Eye, in a post where kg are used, but no Merricks or Mayhems. When everyone had a Disco, the Sharp Eyes were well-represented at the Pier, but I probably see more CI and Lost than anything else in the shortboard/alt realm.

Reactions: MathDebater

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I was gonna say strange to see a Super, a JC, and Sharp Eye, in a post where kg are used, but no Merricks or Mayhems. When everyone had a Disco, the Sharp Eyes were well-represented at the Pier, but I probably see more CI and Lost than anything else in the shortboard/alt realm.
ive seen groms (erm… genZ) mostly on sharpeye lately.

old fat guys on mayhems, millennial still-wannabe-rippers on JS.

not as many bright white CI’s as years prior.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
ive seen groms (erm… genZ) mostly on sharpeye lately.

old fat guys on mayhems, millennial still-wannabe-rippers on JS.

not as many bright white CI’s as years prior.
Sounds about right. SE so hot right now! I’m seeing more Pyzels around last couple years too- mostly good surfers too.
Who rides CIs that kids would want to emulate? I feel like even Dane is closer to my gen. Median CI fan age must be like 30. Seems like they’re leaning into it with their latest models too: fishbeer, twin pin, Devon Howard mid, mid twin, a Bobby model? That said, I’m sure the boards are still great and I’ve seen a few locals ripping on the Happy.

Reactions: MathDebater

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Are there really no more CI team riders on the WCT?

I’ve lost track of what everyone was riding but seems a lot of riders jumped ship from mayhem and CI.

Reactions: oeste858

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I wonder if there's some psychology at play here.

No pros riding CI on tour. Does this equal regular duus thinking you can't rip on those boards anymore?

But duus see a bunch of pros ripping on Sharp Eyes, Pyzels, and whatever else.........they think they can rip on them too?
Um, yeah. that's the marketing strategy behind sponsoring tour pros...
whatever viewing numbers the current WSL webcasts get, certainly those are the type of surf geeks that would be trying to work out which boards are being surfed the best.
Of course, I doubt that's still much more valuable than social media-savvy riders like Nate Flo & the Koas putting out highly-watched clips on their Pyzels. I just have a hard time believe kids and groms are really that excited to watch the CI guys (Dane, Gudangs, Parker, M-Feb, Yadin, Bobby) as some other cooler pros. Maybe there's some I'm forgetting, but their team seems relatively old. Doesn't it?

Last edited:
Reactions: jkb