Akila Aipa's/Slater Designs' Twin release

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
I'm back top preferring it with the trailer.

Surfed it 5 days straight and I'm doing some of my best surfing I've done for a long time. The paddling issue I described has since gone away - maybe I was just a little paddle unfit as we had an epic flat spell, or I figured the board out. I'm much more consistent with it now too and it just responds incredibly to input.

If anyone is wondering "should I, shouldn't I", you need to get on it imo.
I'm curious about the FE and you're being awfully convincing

you said you got the 5'9 but could've gone 5'10? I'm about 85 kg and felt a 5'10 at my local shop, it does feel refined at it's listed thickness/volume.

Reactions: ReForest

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
Is that because you've been riding bigger waves with a lot of push?
Yea, that's definitely the case.
I don't think the F/E grovels particularly well, and while riding it as a straight up twin gives you some spice / speed and playfulness when it's grovel time, be completely honest, I'd rather whip out another board for those occasions.

My take is that it's a performance shortboard with more innate speed and nimbleness - "daily driver", without the workhorse connotation that phrase brings to mind, because it's just so much goddamn fun. Similar conditions for tomorrow, I'll take out the trailer and let you know :)

For full transparency, my lack of being impressed by it in grovelly conditions may just be down to the fact that my back is fucked, and to get the best out of a bad back situation, I need a bigger wave and a steeper takeoff to get to my feet quicker.

I'm curious about the FE and you're being awfully convincing

you said you got the 5'9 but could've gone 5'10? I'm about 85 kg and felt a 5'10 at my local shop, it does feel refined at it's listed thickness/volume.
I'm 83KG and don''t use much rubber, and yea I chose the 5.9. I'd be happy on the 5.10 as well I'm 100% sure of that.

I don't know if this sounds like bullshit - but it feels like one of those boards that you can go up in volume really easily and not notice any detrimental effects, but the flipside is also true in that you can get it too small and easy to feel that it's too small if that makes any sense?

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
I'm 83KG and don''t use much rubber, and yea I chose the 5.9. I'd be happy on the 5.10 as well I'm 100% sure of that.

I don't know if this sounds like bullshit - but it feels like one of those boards that you can go up in volume really easily and not notice any detrimental effects, but the flipside is also true in that you can get it too small and easy to feel that it's too small if that makes any sense?
yeah that makes sense

Reactions: waxfoot

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
Yea, that's definitely the case.
I don't think the F/E grovels particularly well, and while riding it as a straight up twin gives you some spice / speed and playfulness when it's grovel time, be completely honest, I'd rather whip out another board for those occasions.

My take is that it's a performance shortboard with more innate speed and nimbleness - "daily driver", without the workhorse connotation that phrase brings to mind, because it's just so much goddamn fun. Similar conditions for tomorrow, I'll take out the trailer and let you know :)

For full transparency, my lack of being impressed by it in grovelly conditions may just be down to the fact that my back is fucked, and to get the best out of a bad back situation, I need a bigger wave and a steeper takeoff to get to my feet quicker.
Unfortunately, I've been getting a lot of weak crappy waves this summer and find that it actually grovels well. You gotta work for it but working it on this board is pretty effortless.

Would definitely want the tailer in bigger strong waves. Maybe this winter I'll get to try it.

Reactions: Aruka and waxfoot

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
Unfortunately, I've been getting a lot of weak crappy waves this summer and find that it actually grovels well. You gotta work for it but working it on this board is pretty effortless.

Would definitely want the tailer in bigger strong waves. Maybe this winter I'll get to try it.
It's not so much the "working" of the board when you're up and riding - it just doesn't have that effortless glide-in to waves as you catch them, as a small wave board has that has a wider nose area.

I gave a mate of mine a go on the F/E, while I rode his on a 1-2ft day. His board was under volumed for me at 28L, but the thing just caught waves far far easier than the flat earth did, even at 4L less foam.

This was his board for reference, and meant for those kind of waves. After recovery from surgery, I'll be ordering one of these in my size!

Last edited:
Reactions: estreet and Aruka

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
Lost a fin today after the first wave. First FCS2 twin I've owned - do you guys reckon it's because there's more pressure on the fin due to larger fin area, or just bad luck?

Think I'll grub screw the next one.

hackeysaky

Miki Dora status
Dec 19, 2002
NJ
  • Wow
Reactions: waxfoot

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
Lost a fin today after the first wave. First FCS2 twin I've owned - do you guys reckon it's because there's more pressure on the fin due to larger fin area, or just bad luck?

FCS2 - first session my wife lost a Machado keel fin. Larger surface area. I don't believe in FCS (let alone FCS2 with no screws), and certainly now we put in the grub screw to ensure her fins stay put. That's just me. I know Griffin will disagree, and I 100% understand why. But I'm a Futures guy.

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
Ah well, grub screws are in now. Looks like I'll be using the MR Twin (unused second-hand buy in the fin wallet) instead of the Power Twin for a while :D

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020

Bummer Waxy. I saw Akila comment on the live video yesterday. hehe. Shouda put da screw in brah! :cool::shaka:

• Love
Reactions: rowjimmytour

hackeysaky

Miki Dora status
Dec 19, 2002
NJ
TLDR for my cross-linked post above: I'm quite convinced that the boxes distorted under load enough for the fins to slip out, even with the rear grub screw. The only solution I can devise is to use longer screws and slightly recess where it lands on the fin with a drill, giving it even more purchase into (rather than against) the fin tab.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Ah well, grub screws are in now. Looks like I'll be using the MR Twin (unused second-hand buy in the fin wallet) instead of the Power Twin for a while :D
My step up has fcsII only board but use grub screws for my quad custom fiberglass two tab set no issues so far. My two twins have: AO fcs fusion w/ TA twin fiberglass no issues and it2win future w/ FU it2win fiberglass no issues.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
TLDR for my cross-linked post above: I'm quite convinced that the boxes distorted under load enough for the fins to slip out, even with the rear grub screw. The only solution I can devise is to use longer screws and slightly recess where it lands on the fin with a drill, giving it even more purchase into (rather than against) the fin tab.
Have you tested this while distorting the fin with your hand?

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
Did you have a grub screw in the front??

Reactions: rowjimmytour