Watching the Olympics? What's been the biggest surprise / let down?

scooch

Nep status
Jun 14, 2013
oh my bad. You meant that they are all happy ? Or are all in same sex relationships?

please do explain what you meant by “gay”
Gay as in same sex relationships. Funny cuz it was my gay aunt who pointed it out to me while we were watching some gymnastics. Wasnt meant in a negative way whatsoever. sh!t some of my favorite people in my life are gay. Gay as in same sex relationships, not gay as in happy.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Surprise:

The Chinese would allow a diver named Shitting Mao to compete without a name change.

Letdown:

She didn't have a red spot, let alone an image of Mao, on her ass.

• Haha
Reactions: Subway

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
Gay as in same sex relationships. Funny cuz it was my gay aunt who pointed it out to me while we were watching some gymnastics. Wasnt meant in a negative way whatsoever. sh!t some of my favorite people in my life are gay. Gay as in same sex relationships, not gay as in happy.
my bad scooch :cheers:

Reactions: scooch

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I enjoyed watching the Women's Girl's Street Skating. 13 year olds taking the big spills onto the concrete, dusting themselves off and doing it again.

Best looking Gold medalist and world record holder-

f7a9200e-tatjana-schoenmaker.jpg.optimal.jpg

BentoBox70

OTF status
Dec 9, 2016
South Bay CA
How long you all think skateboarding gonna remain an Olympic sport?

The $$$$$ to create those skate parks has to be crazy. Most of the action was in one small area of the park (the middle).
In the BMX competition, the athletes will use a lot more of the park.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
watched w/ my 12 yr old and we wondered how these small countries produce so many great athletes. Population of Oz: 25 mil. Pop of CA: 39 mil.

abalone

Michael Peterson status
Jan 16, 2002
Biggest surprise (accompanied by biggest laugh):
Best girlfriend from my youth calling me: "I cheered you on at so many swim meets, so give me a reality check...how long would you have been able to keep up with the swimmers in the Olympics today? You were good, I'm thinking half lap?" Once I stopped laughing, I had to deflate her impression of my skills and tell her it would be over before I left the blocks. Starting blocks were FLAT boxes in my era, and we'd wrap all 10 toes over the edge--I'm that old. Also no goggles, I'd never be able to dive in with goggles. (Felt a bit redeemed expressing that when I saw that the goggles on the blazing teen from Alaska fell around her mouth on her dive in the mixed medley relay.)

Biggest let down:
Believe me, I love to watch swimming, but the NBC coverage shows TOO MUCH swimming. Too much gymnastics. Too much drama. And I don't want to see the families watching back home in their living rooms with f'n cameras on them. Too invasive. I mean, they can't shout out obscenities or yell or be themselves. I don't care to watch them or many other background stories.

Another con: Mixed relays. Stop it already, it just makes the female athletes look bad.

YMMV.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
How is this whole shlt show worth the effort it takes to put on? Relegate the whole idea to history and let the sports that are actually sports have their own world class competitions, like the already do.
And you can miss me with that bullshlt about someone quitting being "brave". Whole world gone too soft to say "wuuuuuss!" like we should have.

HarryLopez2

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 11, 2020
Watching the water polo when it gets played on nbc. Always too much swimming a gymnastics. Having commentators drone on for a 1500m race? Show some judo!

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
I rather enjoyed watching the beach volleyball between USA and Canada this afternoon.
Both teams exhibited very fit and healthy rear ends which was a bonus to the coverage.
I don't know if any of them are Gay but if they are I don't care.
They all demonstrated their skillz on the court and it was nice to watch it play out.
I don't even know who won but who cares?
More scantly clad rumps makes this whole thing watchable. :shrug:

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
How is this whole shlt show worth the effort it takes to put on? Relegate the whole idea to history and let the sports that are actually sports have their own world class competitions, like the already do.
And you can miss me with that bullshlt about someone quitting being "brave". Whole world gone too soft to say "wuuuuuss!" like we should have.
Every party needs a pooper that's why we invited you, party pooper!

I enjoyed watching the Fijians win rugby gold.

Where's the sailing?

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Have not seen any sailing. As much as I like racing it's not really a spectator sport.

I went for a sail in a full-race Finn once, it was a pretty difficult little boat.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
Every party needs a pooper that's why we invited you, party pooper!

I enjoyed watching the Fijians win rugby gold.

Where's the sailing?
My son who races and I watched some prelims on demand. Saw the nacra 17 double handed cat foils. Crazy how Olympians have trouble controlling these. Saw one team touch down and stop right at the finish line, almost allowing the American team overtake them. Fun to watch