Can i start a vegetable and herb garden thread?

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
Nice deep green leaves, SteveT. Are indicas darker green than sativas?
Not really speficic to species.

Indicates the plants have an ample supply of nutrients i, nitrogen and correct water intake.
PH problems make your leaves yellow and lighten as the plant uses them for nutrients.
This is why its normal in flowering stage for leaves at bottom of plant to start yellowing and dying.

Lack of nitrogen will make your plants a much lighter green overall.
Same thing the plant need nitrogen so it sucks it out of the leaves.

There is of course natural color variance from strain to strain as well. You can tell when a plant is lacking nutes,you will see more symptoms than just a lighter color and you can tell when your plants base color changes.

Steves plants look happy af

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr Doof

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
Not really speficic to species.

Indicates the plants have an ample supply of nutrients i, nitrogen and correct water intake.
PH problems make your leaves yellow and lighten as the plant uses them for nutrients.
This is why its normal in flowering stage for leaves at bottom of plant to start yellowing and dying.

Lack of nitrogen will make your plants a much lighter green overall.
Same thing the plant need nitrogen so it sucks it out of the leaves.

There is of course natural color variance from strain to strain as well. You can tell when a plant is lacking nutes,you will see more symptoms than just a lighter color and you can tell when your plants base color changes.

Steves plants look happy af
I've got a chemical Scientist friend that lives up in Berkley and he works at UC Berkley (he actually helped develop the Phizer vaccine) and I don't think I've ever known anyone that burns it like he does.
Anyway, he's been helping me with advice and his #1 recommendation was to get the 420 soil mix. Seems to be working.
And also, keeping the pests off it helps. Got this stuff called B Safe (works like a charm)

Reactions: santacruzin

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
i've got an indica that's going full purple.... when I get home I'll snap a shot and post her up. she's a dream, i could look at her all day long.

waiting for the right tide here.... this gets old, fast.

Here they are....

20210702_140412.jpg

20210702_140419.jpg

20210702_140456.jpg

20210702_140429.jpg

20210702_140445.jpg

Happy Plants in my Happy Place!

WeeeeeeeeeeeeeeD!

Where's Nick Chron?

:cheers:

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: afoaf and kawika

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
on a whim i added a couple of tobacco plants this year just to see how badly they would fail here in in Colorado; but, to my surprise... they THRIVE

5e5aecda-c638-4476-8790-8195739485a3.png

i just harvested all the leaves that were touching the ground and just for shits and giggles tried eating a few of the flowers. they were delicious. tasted like a cross between honeysuckle, arugala, and mild tobacco. and now my brain is buzzing like a hive of bees!!!

:jamon::monkey:

kawika

Michael Peterson status
Mar 25, 2003
Alaska/New Mexico/BCS, MX
It's been a work in progress. Wish I had pics of what it looked like when we bought the place. Just gravel spread all the way out to the property lines. We've had a cool spring/summer and stuff was late to take off. But after that last heatwave, things are popping. Here's our wasabi experiment:1.jpg
Can't remember this strain...but I bet it's good.
3.jpg

Tammy 'n Tina
2.jpg

Front garden bed
4.jpg

Side-yard goodness.
6.jpg

Morning coffee perch.
7.jpg

Plan is constantly evolving....

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Nice deep green leaves, SteveT. Are indicas darker green than sativas?
Apparently they're all the same.

Blurb:

Though previously a matter of debate, cannabis researchers have largely reached consensus that cannabis is comprised of just one species—Cannabis sativa—and this research corroborates that idea. So if you hear someone refer to indica, they’re still talking about a Cannabis sativa plant.

The team determined that the wild progenitors of cannabis have gone extinct, hence the sole presence of cultivated and feral varieties. This idea had been proposed previously, but the expansiveness of the recent research corroborates earlier findings. One previous study focused on ancient cannabis pollen and the related Humulus plant (you may know it as hops, different types of which are added to beer), which are found across Asia dating back tens of millions of years. But that study merely dated the pollen, rather than tracking how different strains of plants the around the world interrelate and crop up at different times.

Reactions: Aruka

SurfFuerteventura

Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Homies should have just come to my backyard, or any of the grows I set up for friends with my land race seed collection.

There's three strains... They were misnamed at first "scientific" cataloging.

Rhuderalis = flowers found farthest from equator that flower in short, regardless of light cycle. Very low psychoactive properties.

Sativa = should be called Indica, as it originates from India. The tall one with large internodal spaces and very thin leaves.

Indica = should be called afghani, as it originates from there. The short stubby one with the fat leaves.

1st one good for cross breeding with the others for light cycle capabilities.

2nd one good for daytime usage.

3rd one good for nighttime usage.

"The investigators only checked 110 strains."

:roflmao::shameonyou::roflmao:

If they think there's no differences, try huffing a sativa fatty before bed, see how well you sleep. Or vice versa, try huffing an indica fatty before work, see how well you function.

:crazy2:

• Haha

Driftcoast

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2002
Maybe it is one plant with lots of variety, like dogs and people.

Vice has more about it

Of the 110 genomes collected for the study, 82 were new samples sourced from field sites and commercial stores in Switzerland, China, India, Pakistan, and Peru, as well as from the Vavilov Institute of Plant Genetic Resources in Saint Petersburg, Russia. The team, which was led by Lanzhou University biologist Guangpeng Ren, also re-analyzed 28 publicly available genomes, most of which belonged to North American breeds.

“It is very difficult to obtain hemp and especially drug-type samples and feral plants” which are “ancient domesticated plants readapted to the wild environment” from “non-Western countries, due to legal restrictions,” Fumagalli noted. He added that the team “had to convince and establish collaborations with local scientists in several key countries” and rely on the Vavilov Institute “to get seeds originating from many countries where field collection of cannabis plants is difficult.”

“All in all, this took several years,” he said.

Fortunately, the team’s time and energy paid off, as the varied set of genomes tell a fascinating tale about the domestication and cultivation history of C. sativa. According to the study, two lineages diverged from wild cannabis plants about 12,000 years ago: Basal cannabis, which still exists as a feral species in China and the US today, and a second group that was probably bred as a multipurpose crop with textile, nutritional, and medicinal properties.

About 4,000 years ago, that second lineage split again into two distinct groups: hemp breeds that were selected for fiber production and marijuana breeds that were selected for the production of cannabinoids such as tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the plant’s primary psychoactive compound. The fourth lineage identified by the team is a branch of the drug-type breed that went feral and now grows south of the Himalayas. Meanwhile, the ancestral wild cannabis plant that gave rise to these four lineages has likely become extinct.

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
My 40+ years of real life experience and the fact it’s vice article tells me the researchers are missing information .

as 9’4 said 3 kinds. Different features for each.

Is this my bohter moment where I don’t believe science :roflmao:

SurfFuerteventura

Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Got strains from each of the supposedly only four original strains from my travels around, and trading through the mail with pen pals back when snail mail was still a thing. I knew from the get that with my finances I'd never set foot on all continents, so in defect, "meat" women from each to their face and other regions, nether and not; and inhale vapors from said far off foreign lands.

Have seed strains from Australia, Asia, Europe, India, the Stans (Afgha and Paki), Africa and both South and North America, as well as a surprising assortment of pacific island strains as well. Jamaican, Puerto Rican, Dominican, Cuban (believe it or not) and Bahamanian cover the Caribbean amply.

They all 100% without a doubt ever behaved as explained before.

Three varieties, behaving as expected.

The confusion, imho, comes from all the crossbreeding.

But one thing's for sure,they need more than 110 samples to cover "the entire history of cannabis".

:shaka:

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
The confusion, imho, comes from all the crossbreeding.

But one thing's for sure,they need more than 110 samples to cover "the entire history of cannabis".

:shaka:
ding ding ding

I doubt they could get access to legacy strains. I have talked about my ex wife’s uncle here before, old school grower in the SC mountains. He also has an insane seedbank that he is insanely protective over.

I have known him years and he has shared very few seed/pollen samples with me. Point being no way these researchers are getting access to guys like him who have all the old school seeds.And if they do most of those guys are giving the the goods.

they probably bought a bunch of hybrid strains from a club :roflmao:

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Here is the actual science paper (click me).

While hardly a biologist, seems like they got some decent variety to test:

1626713231976.png
1626714102488.png

A simple way to think of it is just as there is one species of apple, there are many varieties with a number of different properties. You wouldn't confuse a Granny Smith (or other baking apple) with a Ellison's Orange or the more pedestrian Golden Delicious (which actually tastes super great when you can pick it yourself off the neighbor's tree and then throw the core at your childhood friend on the other side of the creek). So one scientific species of cannabis with many varieties that have different properties and the myriad of names is in part based on appearance/properties/background stories, not actual DNA analysis?

Source

Over 7,500 cultivars of the culinary or eating apple (Malus pumila) are known.[1] Some are extremely important economically as commercial products, though the vast majority are not suitable for mass production. In the following list, use for "eating" means that the fruit is consumed raw, rather than cooked. Cultivars used primarily for making cider are indicated. Those varieties marked agm have gained the Royal Horticultural Society's Award of Garden Merit.[2]

In any case, the domestication aspect going back 4,000 years or so, once again reminds me how well integrated human civilization is twined up with this plant.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aruka