Surfings' Olympic Debut

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
Any "sport" that requires judges for scores should not be in the olympics. Bowling belongs there more than surfing.
gymnastics, figure skating, the list goes on. you could argue that ball sports are "judged" too, a baseball umpire can certainly be :poop: many fans like to whine when "their" team is the victim of a bad call.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
gymnastics, figure skating, the list goes on. you could argue that ball sports are "judged" too, a baseball umpire can certainly be :poop: many fans like to whine when "their" team is the victim of a bad call.
Umpires and refs are different, they mete out justice when rules are broken, and make judgement calls on questionable things, eg, did the guy have the ball before the foot touched the bag or did she step over the line. Tennis has line judges. Anyone can play baseball without umpires though and soccer without referees because there is a measurable achievement.

You can't have a gymnastics contest (or surfing or ice skating) without a judge providing a score.

Clayster

Miki Dora status
Oct 26, 2005
I'm a John fan and I don't think he should be back so soon. If it's small, which it most likely will be, he's going to have a tough time against the Brazzos even if he wasn't coming off of ACL surgery. Maybe the injury wasn't that bad. I just don't have a good feeling about this.

Carissa. Go girl!
I was thinking the same thing about Florence. That's awfully soon to return from ACL surgery, unless it was a minor injury. Undoubtedly, he was out of the water for a month or more afterwards, and probably won't be in his best form. Too bad for him.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
no balls but who calls strikes? :shameonyou:
The catcher can call strikes. The players can all agree it was a strike or a ball.

Baseball is a little different because it's the only sport (well, and cricket I guess, I dunno shite about it) that has an offensive position (pitcher) on the defensive team (fielders).

But you are splitting hairs.

My opinion is if a judge is required to provide a numerical score, it should not be in the olympics.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: LifeOnMars

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
The catcher can call strikes. The players can all agree it was a strike or a ball.

My opinion is if a judge is required to provide a numerical score, it shout not be in the olympics.
don't think that would work out too well, have you seen the politics section? :bricks:

you're entitled to an opinion, doesn't make it correct.

judged sports have been a part of the olympics since their beginning in ancient grease, if they didn't belong they'd be long gone by now

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
I like watching gymnastics and figure skating. It fact, I couldn't imagine the olympics without them.
I think they've come up with a pretty decent scoring system.

But, IMO that would NEVER work for surfing. Conditions change, every wave is different and there's lulls. Can you imagine if new ruts were randomly created in the ice for each skating run? Or if the vault spring were a different tension every time and the competitors didn't know ahead of time? The randomness aspect takes out any possibility for establishing planned level of difficulty

McHatin

Nep status
Apr 11, 2010
Typhoon season there is nuts.

Many spots, nooks, and crannies light up and they need to be flexible for the venue. The locals know, and for this occasion, will probably be glad to help.

Bob

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2001
Oxnard
Surfing doesn't belong in the Olympics period.....full stop. Surfing in the Olympics is worthy of the same scorn as Jimmy Slade's wave pool reality show on ABC.
Ha, that's pretty much what I say about professional surfing.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
don't think that would work out too well, have you seen the politics section? :bricks:

you're entitled to an opinion, doesn't make it correct.

judged sports have been a part of the olympics since their beginning in ancient grease, if they didn't belong they'd be long gone by now
Judged events (I'm talking about judges providing numerical scores) were introduced 400 years after the first olympics. Apparently it was for heralds and trumpeters.