Five for Toby in San Diego

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
lovely greg, I always see a lot of larger fellow dims, do you have any pics of something slimmed down for a toothpick like me?

I think those flat bottoms would be really fast in Texas slop?

Reactions: MathDebater

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
Surfed with Clyde early this morning. Asked if he still got boards from you @griffinsurfboard. Said it’s been awhile. Told him rumors are you’re coming to Oahu in August. He said he might reach out to you to get a board.
Clyde is a pretty amazing person

I'm not making customer boards this time , I will be with some shaper friends and a couple of pros

Fun visit with friends like Clyde on this first trip after the covid tragedy

Reactions: teeroi

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
lovely greg, I always see a lot of larger fellow dims, do you have any pics of something slimmed down for a toothpick like me?

I think those flat bottoms would be really fast in Texas slop?
6'2" x 18 1/2" x 2 3/8" for a home board builder on Maui

Wanted all the fin setups

IMG_9385.JPGIMG_9393.JPG

IMG_9408.JPG

IMG_9406.JPGIMG_9403.JPG

First ride

I did and it was a joy. First ride was at honolua bay @ "subs". its behind the cliff, can't see it from the camera view when they run the contests there..always less crowded. anyway head to head and a half, clean conditions. it's a right, and the drop is the steepest part of that wave. the rest is sometimes a nice wall or it's a mushball, sometimes turns into a thick slabby thing but haven't surfed there enough to determine when that is. inconsistent in wave quality but plenty of waves. rode it as a thruster - back of the side fins lined up with the mark on the foam. there was definitely a difference compared to my kazuma board with fcs made thruster fins. did a frontside cutback that felt real good. no slowing down through the second half of it. something i rarely feel with boards under 6 feet, but i believe its the rail line and fins working in unison. sometimes with some of the boards i make, i feel it 'sticking' through a turn..i attribute this to the rail shape fighting the fins, and my own poor form/technique. none of that though. as long as my back foot was far back enough, turns were fully controlled. just lots of speed on every wave i caught. lots of operator error on the mushier waves. i bodyboarded strictly since i was a teenager, up until 6 years ago, so i still have alot to learn. big and mushy is hard for me. still happy with the turns that i did complete. today i got it in waist to chest ironwoods. fast and punchy mostly closeouts, im lucky to get a turn in on these waves. but i did get a few backside carves that felt great. all in all im very happy with it so far. definitely something going on with this 'tucked edge' and the fins. seems to be working well for my skill level and style of surfing. I will be riding it exclusively for a while n switching up the fin configuration for the next session.. unless it goes flat..my noserider is alway on my rack.. :)

Next E mail

Stoked with how the 5 fin worked . From my minimal swaylocks education, the 5 Fin spreads the area of a center fin out toward the rails to harness more of the waves energy. I like to think I’m more informed than the general population just cause I lurk/read swaylocks stuff but like always surfing is a very subjective thing. seems like it coincides with the fact you say it holds in a better wave and loose with a smaller mushier wave . Was expecting it to feel stiff and if my back foot was too far forward it did kind of. But if anything it’s forcing me to get that back foot far back for turns where it should be . Pure fun so far.