Mental Health thread

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
As a 38 year-old I can say that the women in the over 35 crowd leave something to be desired. I don’t usually throw this terminology around but, they are the dregs.
:ROFLMAO:
Amongst people I know, the guys who did the best in the marriage department seemed to marry women that they met in their late teens to early 20s.

That said, on the other end of the spectrum, I’ve gone up to about 10 years younger and it’s as though they are technology-addled. Difficult to talk to.
That could certainly be part of it, however it's always easier to relate to someone who grew up within a few years of you. Especially when you figure in the maturity gap. Similar pop culture growing up, world events coinciding with life events, etc

Reactions: bigglesworth

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
ever wipe out cause, just before the set comes, you start to sneeze sequentially, and then the last sneeze is so big that you instinctively cover your nose and mouth, then turn and paddle, inadvertently with hand covered and dropping in snot, and just as you go to pop-up you eat deck cause said hand slipped thanks to its newfound viscosity?

just curious,and yeah, asking for a friend.

:unsure:

• Haha
Reactions: Waterlogged05

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Get married before the age of 30. It will help maintain their mental health.
In real life, I know some friends who had kids in the 20s and other friends in their late 30s, 40s.

Both groups have figured out the pluses/minus of each approach.

To my eyes however, as time has gone on, the ones who had kids earlier (and maintained successful* relationship) seem to be happier. Happier does not mean richer or with more stuff or bigger house. The ones who had kids later seem to be more stressed, mainly due to money concerns, but are not ruinously stressed. I concede that I may be projecting my sense of happiness over their actual happiness.

The ones who had kids younger all say nearly the same thing: I wouldn't have the energy to raise a kid(s) in my 40s. Glad I got it out of the way.

The ones who had kids older all say nearly the same thing: I wouldn't be as financially well off if we had a kid (s) in my 20s/30s. Glad I waited, but maybe could have started sooner.

For myself, done got hitched in my mid 30s after being together for 10, and home owners for 4. Still together.

* - successful relationship means they get along with each other and actually like each other, even if they are not married (long term couple without marriage or split up after marriage) Successful relationship does not mean married and in constant state of enmity or extreme fluctuations in happiness.

PS
Remember going to a university lecture on human behavior and hearing that a piece of the puzzle of long term happiness is knowing there is something/someone out there (external to sense of self) that cares for you and/or is on your side. This seems like a no brainer but I'm always surprised that people seem to forget it or think it doesn't apply to them or think something/someone new can instantly be substituted in and have same effect or that they put all their eggs in one basket and get wrecked when the basket spills.

Last edited:

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Bars aren't such a great place to pull stable relationships.

Overnights with no name, or fake name n #, maybe.

Supermarket, in the healthy food ilses, or physical activities you enjoy. Running, hiking, camping, (never surfing!). Hanging out at the beach. Etc.

:dancing:

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Haha
Yeah, not exactly, but lol
I know. I was just being funny.

I always thought that would happen to me.

I always made sure I wore a condom.

Maybe that kid I murdered with my condom would be the light of my life now? My pride and joy?

You just have to play the ball where it lies. Lays? Is?

On a side note:re kids: The students would always ask me if I had kids and I would say no, and they would say, with a tone of pity, "Oh, I'm sorry." And then I would say, "No, that's okay. I'm fine."

So one time they asked me and I said, "Yes, I have a son, Auto Jr. He doesn't talk to me."

Students: "Why?"

Me, "Well, one time he wouldn't listen to me so I threw him down the stairs and now he is in a wheel chair."

Students: "REALLY!"

Me: "Yes, now he's out to get me. If you ever see a kid who looks like me in a wheel chair, run because he's coming to get me."

Students, wide eyed: "REALLY?"

Me: "Yes. If you see him, push him down the stairs."

Hot girl student, sitting with her arms folded: "Don't listen to him! He's so full of sh!t!"

Me: "Hey, what's your problem?"

I was thinking hot girls have to have really sensitive BS detectors cuz guys are trying to BS them to get into their pants.

I know that story seems like a tall tale but I swear it's true. I used to be so crazy in the class room. Now I am like a kindly doddering grandpa.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Mr Doof

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
so we have plans to get more people back in office, boss is asking me to help with team building activities.
I think people would very much enjoy not doing that.

just buy us lunch or something I don't want a ping pong table in the shared area

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
so we have plans to get more people back in office, boss is asking me to help with team building activities.
I think people would very much enjoy not doing that.

just buy us lunch or something I don't want a ping pong table in the shared area
Pool table would be so much better but a basketball hoop in the back works just fine.

I never cared for the company-wide team building activities. Management will get much higher morale for randomly busting out a few 12 packs on a Friday early-afternoon than making people do some outdoor retreat.

Going to be interesting with protocols regarding vaccination/masks, etc. for everyone at work along with respective backlash. Probably Thanksgiving (and more likely 2022) before anything is settled.

In middle of escrow right now on a new house; going smoothly but nothing ever set in stone until it's closed. Moving (again) is going to suck but at least it's only a few miles down the road. Need to surf while I can but hard to motivate for 3@8 swell.

Witchipoo

Michael Peterson status
Jun 16, 2010
East of Malibu
. . . I just clicked on this thread because I'm having a really hard time right now, and I guess I was hoping to read something helpful and encouraging, but after reading the posts a the top of the page . . . . jesus, fuck all of you. You think older single women are the dregs? Take a good hard look at the single men over fifty. And did I already say fuck you all? Because fuck you all.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
. . . I just clicked on this thread because I'm having a really hard time right now, and I guess I was hoping to read something helpful and encouraging, but after reading the posts a the top of the page . . . . jesus, fook all of you. You think older single women are the dregs? Take a good hard look at the single men over fifty. And did I already say fook you all? Because fook you all.
Yeah, but that is the joke.

Ugly old fat dudes judging women is funny. :dancing:

I mean it's sad too, but there is a lot of sad things in life.:cry:

But it's funny too.:)

My sister is 57 and she was the best looking of the kids so she still looks okay for 57 and she says she has fat 70 year old dudes that look like homeless Santa giving her the eye all the time, and she's like, Really? Do you think you and I are a match?

My girl friend is 55 and she still looks good but it's a hard fight and I can tell she is getting tired.

I'm like, No, babe! Don't give up the fight!

And she is like, "What about you? You fat piece of sh!t!":roflmao:

See, life is funny. :)

And sad too.:cry: