Small(er) Bonzer Egg

kpd73

Nep status
Apr 5, 2014
Got a line on a 6'0 x 20 1/4 x 2 1/2 bonzer speed egg- pulled in nose and tail no e-wing - and was wondering if any of you fine gents or ladies may expound on the virtues/limitations of these?

Thanks!

Bman has already been consulted and thanked for his expertise.

Attachments

• Love
Reactions: Bman76

kpd73

Nep status
Apr 5, 2014
I know that video...with Machado at the end too.
Never quite determined those bonzer dims

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
I have 6'2" 21 1/4 2 3/4 mitsven b tail. It's oversized, as I could ride the same model at 5'9" or 5'10". Super fun. Will get you by in really small stuff but great top end considering its
dimesnsions

Nov 2, 2007
virtues/limitations of these?

Bonzer eggs ar a very good allround shapes. Not my favourite board for beach brakes but so good for point brakes. I prefer bonzers a bit longer than 6`0 for waves with good walls.
I would say a (good) 2+1 or even a quad egg is even a better option if your waves are not that good.

The real question is not about "virtues/limitations", it is about the feel you like on your boards. I need singles, bonzers, twins, quads and tri-fins. I like riding different boards.

Reactions: flyinraptr

kpd73

Nep status
Apr 5, 2014
virtues/limitations of these?

Bonzer eggs ar a very good allround shapes. Not my favourite board for beach brakes but so good for point brakes. I prefer bonzers a bit longer than 6`0 for waves with good walls.
I would say a (good) 2+1 or even a quad egg is even a better option if your waves are not that good.

The real question is not about "virtues/limitations", it is about the feel you like on your boards. I need singles, bonzers, twins, quads and tri-fins. I like riding different boards.
Thanks man, I'm super well versed with bonzers and ride everything from a 5'6 mini simms twinzer to a 9'6 Takayama Tommy Witt- throw a NPJ 2+1 and a JC quad fish in there and I've been around.

I have had a 6'8 bonzer egg, Russ Short, Octa, etc....but never the shorter egg.
Looking to hear from anyone who may have thrown on under their feet for some time.

Thanks for the input though, sincerely.

I would really kill for a 6'2/6'3 bonzer egg.

Anyone from Jersey to Maine sitting on one they would part with?
I'm in RI by the way
5'9 164lbs of wildly adorable

Reactions: Bman76

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I’ve got a 6’10 gh bonzegg5, always wished I had a shorter one around my height.

as a yolo, I’d bang the MC 6’0. looks like a fun bore good for more than a few different types of wave.

njsurfer42

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2006
shrouded in a 5/4
i had a 6'0"x20 1/2"x2 5/8" bonzer egg for a while...made by brian wynn in late 2009/early 2010 & found it worked amazingly well in everything i threw at it. in hindsight i didn't give it enough love b/c i quickly got distracted by other things, but i held on to it for a long while...smaller eggs definitely have their place.

Reactions: kpd73 and Bman76

kpd73

Nep status
Apr 5, 2014
Quick bump for my last chance to get a re-fill on my confirmation bias coffee here whilst seller searches for his Paypal info...

Thanks!

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
I’ve always said the small eggs were like the Swiss Army Knife of surfboards. My 6’1” 180 pound kid just had me cut a 5’11” for him. He wanted to stop switching surfboards all the time. Wanted something that would go 2’ - 12’ I love them. Had a number. MC has the design refined as hell. You won’t set the QS on fire, but open face carving, if the board is sized correctly, it will surprise you.

There’s an announcement on Malcolm‘s site that will have some relevance re custom orders for awhile. Check it out and then make your buy/no buy decision.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I’ve always said the small eggs were like the Swiss Army Knife of surfboards. My 6’1” 180 pound kid just had me cut a 5’11” for him. He wanted to stop switching surfboards all the time. Wanted something that would go 2’ - 12’ I love them. Had a number. MC has the design refined as hell. You won’t set the QS on fire, but open face carving, if the board is sized correctly, it will surprise you.

There’s an announcement on Malcolm‘s site that will have some relevance re custom orders for awhile. Check it out and then make your buy/no buy decision.
Here it is for those wondering:

Dear friends,

I will be taking a break after I finish shaping my way through our large backlog of confirmed orders. I’m looking to bring things more into balance and flip the script from a shaper who occasionally surfs to a surfer who shapes. I need to work through the burnout and reconnect with these two things I dearly love. Sincere apologies to all of you who have been waiting patiently to place your orders. We will be sure to let everyone know when we get things rolling again.

In the meantime Campbell Brothers Bonzer shaping continues in Hawai’i with Jacob @campbellbros_hawaii, in Australia @rhinolaminating and in Portugal @msd_surfboards.

Much gratitude and thanks to all of you – past and present – for your overwhelming support in keeping the Bonzer Experience vibrant and ongoing.

Peace,
Malcolm

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Pro tip, if you really want one, rotate through Ventura Surf Shop on the regular. There will still be stockers going into the racks. Don't hesitate if you see something you like.

Hmmm, maybe I need to take a long weekend drive and hope someone ignores the "too big of a bonzer" 6'10" in the racks.

• Love
Reactions: rowjimmytour