Some Drama with Everyone's Favorite!

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
At the end of a rolling session, does someone say “ok let’s line up for the sweaty group shot?”

i respect BJJ and have a lot of friends who love it and they are all cool, but the group shots/posts are always weird to me.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
This thread topic coincides perfectly with figuring out my daughter's future middle school options.

On another note, the Internet seems less and less like a technological advancement. I suffer no remorse at being absolutely 100% ignorant to a vast majority of what is being discussed in this thread but it is convincing me that I want to continue not surfing with people, no matter how shitty/demoralizing the waves.

Last edited:

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
This thread topic coincides perfectly with figuring out my daughter's future middle school options.

On another note, the Internet seems less and less like a technological advancement. I suffer no remorse at being absolutely 100% ignorant to a vast majority of what is being discussed in this thread but it is convincing me that I want to continue not surfing with people, no matter how shitty/demoralizing the waves.
Reading about all this drama made me think about how social media has become a societal illness and a soapbox for crazies who would never have an ear in real life.

IG was started as a platform to showcase photos. Now it's a TikTok wannabe and a limitless Twitter for the inarticulate.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Reading about all this drama made me think about how social media has become a societal illness and a soapbox for crazies who would never have an ear in real life.

IG was started as a platform to showcase photos. Now it's a TikTok wannabe and a limitless Twitter for the inarticulate.

Nailed it

Reactions: ReForest

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Interesting observation...for all the hero worship Joel does for a well-know scammer/fraudster (Miki Dora), it's interesting to see his reaction over personally getting scammed.
Yep, kinda like those who demand the most "respect" rarely give it to anyone else.

Reactions: flyinraptr

Farmer_Ted

OTF status
Jul 2, 2009

as it relates to this particular poopshow its funny to me because its known it drives joels sponsors and former sponsors mad that he wont post what hes obligated to for them but will go round and round and debate johnny down the street for hours upon hours on social media over some mindless crap

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
couple questions -

How many other "pro surfers" from California needed/wanted to obtain a black belt in BJJ?

And is Joel really a "world class" surfer? There's plenty guys on here who catch the scraps at Pipe and can also stand motionless on a log.

Joel's problems start with his dad, who has physically assaulted people for not exiting the contest site - and paid a dear price. Nat Young is also to blame for blowing smoke up Joel's ass that he was something special... on and on it goes.

This needs to be settled with a surf off between Joel and Richie - winner get the the 5K that Tudor is whining about.

twinzerfan

Michael Peterson status
Oct 26, 2006
Floriduh
BJJ is awesome, until someone kicks you in the face whil you’re on the ground.

Kazushi Sakuraba

I respect BJJ, just can stand any martial arts that constantly claim to be the best. It’s kind of like, why do you have to say it so much if it’s true?

seems a perfect fit fir Joel….

Last edited:

twinzerfan

Michael Peterson status
Oct 26, 2006
Floriduh
Spoken like a true ignorant fool.
actually, I’m not. I’ve trained BJJ under a Cyborg disciple.

but go ahead and tell me I’m wrong and that BJJ is the best, and how no one can beat it. Then go get in a bar fight, or take on a more than one guy at a time, or a half decent boxer.

Most schools don’t even have a standing take down.

It’s a great sport , and has application, but it’s not the ultimate.

You’re acting very Joel-esque and that’s fine. It’s your life….