Mason Ho on Morning of the Earth twin

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
"Many are making one of the worst designs ever made , recently

Lots of Yammering "
i dunno why people are so keen on weird sh!t other than marketing.

there are so many proven, very functional designs out there.

rather than playing with weird sh!t I think most people would get so much more out of their surfing by working with a shaper to dial in boards, riding variations of the same stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: Havoc

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006

rather than playing with weird sh!t I think most people would get so much more out of their surfing by working with a shaper to dial in boards, riding variations of the same stuff.
Eventually you get bored riding the same (similar) thing year after year, decade after decade. You see one pro after another retire and immediately start playing with alternative stuff. Tough to get more out of your surfing if you get jaded and quit. I have one dabbling pro that I have been cutting the same file (with small dimension changes) for probably 6-7 years? In some ways that's smart. You're never having to adjust to the board. It's all muscle memory. But how boring. IMHO.

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
Depends what you characterize as a weird design. A high rockered, single concave thruster with too little volume could also be considered a pretty odd equipment decision for most days and ability levels. Whereas a reasonably proportioned twin or twin keel is a tried and true design. Not all of those boards are weird asyms

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Mason is an uncommonly good surfer. He has access to uncommonly good waves. Take board videos with a grain of salt. What you see on your screen may not translate to your real life. :waving:

Dont know if you seen the clips but he’s not surfing high performance. there’s no uncanny airs, huge finners or big power fades, its just beautiful surfing. He looks like he’s having so much fun. Most of what he’s doing we can all do, but it looks different on that board.

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018

I often feel like I get into a bit of a slump with my performance shorties. I feel that I'm able to reset my surfing, when i jump on something very different than the standard 5.10 ish, 19 1/4 ish, 2 9/16 ish 3 fin board.

If I just mix it up with variations of the "ish" above it does not yield the same result as surfing my Rasta Torus twin for example, in conditions you'd not usually associate with such a board.

I used to do the same thing when I used to race downhill mountainbikes. The DH bike is like a sofa and you can trust it to grip for days, and get you over sh!t you're not supposed to ride out of. When I used to get into a bit of a slump where I feel slow, I'd whip our the hardtail and ride the same gnarly tracks to tune up my base skills, instead of relying on all that suspension to do my work for me. I think the same applies to surfing.

Last edited:

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise

but but but kool aid….

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
I often feel like I get into a bit of a slump with my performance shorties. I feel that I'm able to reset my surfing, when i jump on something very different than the standard 5.10 ish, 19 1/4 ish, 2 9/16 ish 3 fin board.

If I just mix it up with variations of the "ish" above it does not yield the same result as surfing my Rasta Torus twin for example, in conditions you'd not usually associate with such a board.

I used to do the same thing when I used to race downhill mountainbikes. The DH bike is like a sofa and you can trust it to grip for days, and get you over sh!t you're not supposed to ride out of. When I used to get into a bit of a slump where I feel slow, I'd whip our the hardtail and ride the same gnarly tracks to tune up my base skills, instead of relying on all that suspension to do my work for me. I think the same applies to surfing.
u just outflexed greg griffin bra