Stab Cares

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
According to leading intellectual Nassim Taleb localism is a solution, not a problem.

It's probably akin to democracy in the sense that Winston Churchill referenced in his famous quote:
‘Many forms of Government have been tried, and will be tried in this world of sin and woe. No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed it has been said that democracy is the worst form of Government except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.…’

Show me something that works better than localism.

Anyone read Jed's article?

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I read the article. Some of it rang pretty true. Some of it sounded like self justification. It's hard to be a legitimate regulator when you're a part the surf industry, me thinks.

To be a hardcore local regulator type takes a big toll on most people. I've seen a few of the older generation around here take it to the extreme and it's inevitably led to big problems for them. Fights and court appearances. Restraining orders. Eventually it's like they don't even care about surfing, just about making sure the wrong person doesn't get a set wave on a good swell. The increase in territorialism often coincides with a decrease in their own skill as a surfer. That combination is very toxic and I've rarely seen someone maintain their position as enforcer and aging kook for long without having a breakdown or quitting surfing altogether.

Somewhat fortunately we don't have any premier waves locally. It's all sand bottoms so sometimes it gets good but mostly it's just marginal. For me it's not worth trying to regulate a cold ass random mushy beachbreak. When it's good and there are a group of us locals out we do usually keep things pretty orderly. At some point the crowds will probably get to thick to maintain any semblance of order and hopefully I will have the grace to accept it for what it is. Having to talk to someone about their behavior in the lineup doesn't bother me too much and usually if I'm calm about it the person responds well. The only time I get upset anymore is when someone is being a total nightmare and battling or dropping in on the few remaining old timers or the local women.

I travel up and down the coast to surf the better spots that are fairly localized. I actually really appreciate that sort of lineup. I've put in my time most of the spots and the locals know me so I don't get hassled for no reason but I'm not expecting the best set waves unless I get lucky or the crowd is light. I've definitely made mistakes and been chewed out etc. but for the most part the vibe is orderly and mellow as long as you behave. I would much rather deal with scary loggers and fisherman vibing me than the free-for-all chaos of so many lineups on the west coast where it seems skill and local status are meaningless and getting waves is just about being the a-hole on the biggest board.

I think some spots will hold out longer than others due to the self regulating nature of the winter ocean but seeing spots like Ocean Beach SF looking packed on big days makes me think it really can happen anywhere.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
The guys not exactly wrong. Nothing worse than going out to surf and coming in pissed off about some dumbass transplant who snaked you on a foamie.

I no longer yell at people. I just burn them repeatedly and simply ask them "What are you going to do about it?" if they confront me. I blatantly burned 4 different wavestormers in one day last winter and not one of them ever tried paddling for a wave I was going for after that. It seems to work ok and most of the time they get the hint to quit being dicks.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
I remember growing up in Hawaii and seeing people getting slapped around in the lineup. I remember a few spots there were some people who you didn't dare paddle battle with because it wasn't going to end well for you. And groms were at the bottom of the pecking order. I only started getting waves because the locals knew my Uncles.

Now I just shake my head when I see some 11 yo rich transplant kid paddle battle some 50 yo Uncle like he's doing nothing wrong.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Lead by example and trust the crowd my fkn ass. It's worth not hassling right after catching a wave so the subset of people who notice that sort of thing notices you. But the crowd following your lead? LOL. Don't count on it.

Reactions: Aruka

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
According to leading intellectual Nassim Taleb localism is a solution, not a problem.

It's probably akin to democracy in the sense that Winston Churchill referenced in his famous quote:
‘Many forms of Government have been tried, and will be tried in this world of sin and woe. No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed it has been said that democracy is the worst form of Government except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.…’

Show me something that works better than localism.

Anyone read Jed's article?
I love the idea of being anti fragile, but NT seems like kind of a nut job to me, like he's got a chip on his shoulder for some unknown reason.

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
I love the idea of being anti fragile, but NT seems like kind of a nut job to me, like he's got a chip on his shoulder for some unknown reason.
he has a very disagreeable temperament.

by and large though, his arguments have plenty of merit and he's prepared to argue them on their merits.

Reactions: afoaf

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Not too many pros but lots of grifters near me playing this role. Banking on the tourist season, encouraging people to come, cater to them but then bitch about what their local has become.
We have a a$$ clown like this here who inherited his dads business and adult kearner status in line up but takes pictures of all local "C" rippers and runs website with pics of all local spots. Yet on social media someone exposes one of the right point breaks already full blown crowd cries to mods to take down.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
he has a very disagreeable temperament.

by and large though, his arguments have plenty of merit and he's prepared to argue them on their merits.
I followed him on Twitter for a while.

I remember some of his arguments relied on very narrow frames.

His unnecessary bluster came off as leakage to me.

But I'm a very friendly man by nature.