PU vs Epoxy question ...

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
Have a PU board that i need to retire ... ordering a new board to replace it ... can only get a epoxy blank. Been awhile since i've ridden /ordered an epoxy board. The existing PU board is 6'8" x 21 1/8 x 2 3/4. To get close to the same floatation - feel with an epoxy - should i go thinner - say 2 5/8 or is it not enough of a difference to worry about and leave it at 2 3/4?

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
Blanks aren't epoxy. The glassing is. The blank is probably EPS (expanded polysterene). Why can't you get a polyurethane blank with epoxy glassing? If not try getting it 1/8" thinner.
Shaper is unable to locate any PU blanks over 6'5" in Nica .... telling me he can only do epoxy on a 6'8". I'm ok with it .. only concern is the board feeling too buoyant.

Last edited:

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Yeah - I've learned that lesson - have been smacked on head a few times.
First thing and already said but you did not notice response epoxy is a resin and foams are : polyurethane, eps, xps, and varial. Depends on board maker not all eps/epoxy or other foam boards are made the same and if you go with someone with experience you well notice no difference with wind, float, and chatter. And can take advantage of the strength, flex, and lightness etc:shaka:

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
First thing and already said but you did not notice response epoxy is a resin and foams are : polyurethane, eps, xps, and varial. Depends on board maker not all eps/epoxy or other foam boards are made the same and if you go with someone with experience you well notice no difference with wind, float, and chatter. And can take advantage of the strength, flex, and lightness etc:shaka:
Thanks! Normally - i travel back to the states to pick up a couple of boards before the start of the season here. Things are obviously a little different these days. Decided to support a local shaper here who is up in the Popoyo area .... have seen a few of his boards - they look pretty good ... a lot of the local rippers are riding his boards - he also repaired two of my boards (snapped in half and buckled) and did a good job.