Tail rocker

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
bananas rule!

I got one
got continuous rocker too because in a rush we bagged the flat sheet with wood skin blank upside down on our rocker table and put the wood skinned bottom curve on the wrong side. looks like a half hearted smile

shane herring

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
That looks like average tail rocker for a good-wave board, but a fukton of nose rocker. For comparison mo Bourton Reef Swallow has 4 7/8" nose rocker and 2 7/8" tail rocker.
on a 6' or thereabouts? That's extreme tail rocker. We were talking about tour boards. Proton is an old design though. This design almost as old but standing the test of time.

Considered to be a high rockered board (nose + tail). Listed as amongst the quiver of tour surfers Lakey Peterson and Sage Erickson.

Rook15.png

• Haha
Reactions: LifeOnMars

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
2.5" tr on a 5'11"

DHD

MF DNA

(4) Reviews
The Mick Fanning DNA is a high performance board designed at the peak of Mick's competitive surfing career. With a single to double concave through the fins, it has plenty of drive. It features the signature MF rocker which combines smooth entry rocker with a nice amount of tail kick for plenty of speed.

“In the Quiky pro he’ll probably ride the new rocker, which is basically his board with a lot more nose rocker and a lot more tail rocker, sort of bent in the middle a little bit which has allowed him to get a lot more tricky in the lip.”

Mick’s frontside carve is one of the most iconic turns in surfing today. Is there anything about these designs that really cater to that kind of on-rail surfing?

I think a lot of it has to do with the tail lift. The tail lift is 2 1/2″, which is a lot. Most boards, especially in California, are about 2″, maybe up to 2 1/4″. So Mick’s boards have a fair amount more than that, which helps him really lean on that tail and get that board to wrap around. He knows that’s his money turn, and that’s why all of his boards have developed with that turn in mind.

With lots of tail lift and a single-to-double concave, Mick was able to maintain control in the powerful French walls. Photo: Miller
With lots of tail lift and a single-to-double concave, Mick was able to maintain control in the powerful French walls. Photo: Miller

Reactions: waxfoot and Mr J

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
How are they measuring rocker

Generally speaking it seems "HP" AUS boards are so much more pedestrian than than "HP" shapes coming out of CA. Including the boards that many guys on the CT are riding.

Friendly rockers and rails, normal volumes for guys that surf a lot.

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
Proton is Silly looking at 2 1/2" TR - possibly 2 3/4

Huge difference when looking at both
Some pro boards are de-tuned for the general public. Even when the dims are representative the pros are reputed to be having all sorts of custom tweaks. Rusty said he moderated the Keg rocker on the retail dims.

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
[/QUOTE]
I think a lot of it has to do with the tail lift. The tail lift is 2 1/2″, which is a lot. Most boards, especially in California, are about 2″, maybe up to 2 1/4″.
... .
That's a boardcave review. 2 1/2" sounds reasonable.

However just from looking at the CI website we know that the statement "most boards, especially in California, are about 2" is not true (HPSB shapes).

Reactions: casa_mugrienta

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
5'8" with 2 1/2" tail Rocker

Grab Rail cutbacks instead of out into the green full power back into the lip- whitwash type
Catching rails coming off the top and back down due to loss of speed
Holding back on your pressure during turns to control its overturning nature

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I can't tell just by looking at the pictures. I can stare at it and get my imagination to tell me either way. If I actually had the file I might be able to make a judgement.
They just re-did their website and ALL boards now say staged rocker. I’m going by memory.

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
The Protons Dane was riding were more extreme than what went out to the general public. The DFR was even more extreme. The first version of what became the Proton came out of my shop. It was a John Bohning shape. I thought it was a mistake. The DFR was nutty. Someone brought me Dane's personal and I refused to look at it. I have moral objections to straight up copying someone else's board. So, he brought me a laundry list of numbers to make a file for. I looked at the rocker and told him he obviously couldn't handle a rocker stick. He'd fvcked something up. Tail rocker was somewhere around three inches. He was in a shop across the driveway, I walked over there in disgust to see how bad he had screwed up the tail rocker number. He had not screwed up the tail rocker number. (RIP John) But both the Proton and the DFR, from what I saw, were made less extreme for average surfer consumption.

And for a certain generation of surfers, grab rail cutbacks have nothing to do with the board design. It is considered a stylistic move. I don't think I have ever seen Dane ride ANY board that he did not grab the rail on.

At 1:57 you can see Dane riding what went on to become the Proton. The points at the rocker apex were almost homed, which is unheard of.

Last edited: