Mazatlan Hotel that tries to Run point

Bob

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2001
Oxnard
Can't remember the name of said hotel that catered to those staying at hotel by patrolling the lineup on their fish for residents. I don't want my friend to go near there, but can't remember the name. Please help if you an

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
sizzld is correct. That place is up the road a little and the spots in Mazatlan are not locked down by them.

$.02

IMHO it's a workable spot to have when the more exposed coast to the South is blown out by tropical stuff. Total trip saver for me one year. But with some of those points farther up locked down and some of the other spots bang in the city, there are a lot of options that catch much more swell with far fewer people.

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
I always wanted to do a trip there.

I was going to take a bus from TJ just for fun.
I did that about 30 years ago with some friends. It was an adventure on the bus to say the least. Bus drivers have a death wish in the name of getting to the destination as quickly as possible.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I did that about 30 years ago with some friends. It was an adventure on the bus to say the least. Bus drivers have a death wish in the name of getting to the destination as quickly as possible.
It’s not like that now.

At least not in my recentish experience.

Bob

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2001
Oxnard
That's the one! Thanks!

Reactions: sizzld1

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
How did you know to do this at 17?

Did you know people who did this?

I hung around a bunch of loosers.
Surfer Magazine. Rick Griffin and Ron Stoner. We started planning the trip at 15 but it was gonna take more than yard work money, got a gas station job.

Not many.

That’s what I found out when I got back. Everyone I knew was getting ready to go to college, living with their parents. I moved out of the family house a week after I came back, got a job in Laguna Canyon slinging mud. Surfed a bunch of empty Salt Creek.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
I took the train from Mexicali to Mazatlán in June 1973, the day after I got out of high school. Sleeper car. Memorable trip for a 17 year old.
Did similar to Guadalajara in late 80s after taking bus from TJ. Got to momentarily be part of wedding party at train station in Tepic followed by most epic of thunderstorms through mountains that ended up giving the section we were in (bench seats covered in leather in rather tired and old Chicago Pullman car) a good washing out....there was about 3 inches of water washing around the floor and draining out through a few holes when we went around turns.

This had the benefit of washing out a a fair amount of dropped trash, spilled beer, bugs, and possibly a few travelers' items.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
almost went to that one last year w a few friends... they enforce the lineup??
Yes, apparently a couple of those points they get extremely confrontational. I asked an expat whose family runs a resort in Mazatlan, and who has been living there for years, about it. He told me they were "connected" and they'd just go up the chain of command, and that you aren't winning that road game in literally Sinaloa, and to either pay up and stay with them or surf elsewhere.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Did similar to Guadalajara in late 80s after taking bus from TJ. Got to momentarily be part of wedding party at train station in Tepic followed by most epic of thunderstorms through mountains that ended up giving the section we were in (bench seats covered in leather in rather tired and old Chicago Pullman car) a good washing out....there was about 3 inches of water washing around the floor and draining out through a few holes when we went around turns.

This had the benefit of washing out a a fair amount of dropped trash, spilled beer, bugs, and possibly a few travelers' items.
The bench seats weren’t covered in leather in 1973. The sleepers were 15 years newer. We bought bench seats because they were cheap. While we were waiting to get on the train my dad walked up to a couple of college girls and told them we were young and innocent and to keep an eye on us. They invited us to their sleeper. There was alcohol involved. Thanks dad!

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
The bench seats weren’t covered in leather in 1973. The sleepers were 15 years newer. We bought bench seats because they were cheap. While we were waiting to get on the train my dad walked up to a couple of college girls and told them we were young and innocent and to keep an eye on us. They invited us to their sleeper. There was alcohol involved. Thanks dad!
the old man clueless or in the know and being the best fugging point man that ever existed?

• Haha
Reactions: SurfFuerteventura