Palisades Fire

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Went up for our weekend hike in the Santa Monica Mountains and discovered Topanga Canyon was closed and pars were evacuated.

I know Sizzld is up there. Hope you're safe and out of harms way.

Fuk, the fire season is starting already!:mad:

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
Thanks llilibel03. It was an interesting weekend up here for sure. This fire was the closest I've experienced in 8 years up here. The northwest flank was about a mile from my house as a crow flies. But the winds were light and consistent onshore, so even though we watched the fire grow from a single small plume to taking out the whole state park we never felt in danger.

We're just super fortunate that it was early in the season, the conditions were ideal for fighting the fire, and the wind was pushing the fire primarily towards uninhabited areas. And the fire fighters were incredible. For two days it was a non-stop flow of helicopters and fixed wing planes bombing in through the canyons to knock it down. That thing would be in Woodland Hills and Tarzana by now without those guys. :jamon:

I mostly took videos and I'm not sure how to post those on here, but here's a few pics for perspective. These were taken a couple hours after the fire(s) started, just as they were picking up intensity:

IMG_8630.jpeg
IMG_8643.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Aruka

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Went up for our weekend hike in the Santa Monica Mountains and discovered Topanga Canyon was closed and pars were evacuated.

I know Sizzld is up there. Hope you're safe and out of harms way.

Fuk, the fire season is starting already!:mad:
This was arson. This is not “fire season starting early.

54% of all LAFD fire responses are started by homeless people.

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
Yup. This is the third or fourth homeless related fire in the area in the last year or so. The rest were accidents I think. But now they are talking about building a homeless village at Will Rogers SB.... :socrazy:

And while this wasn't a result of fire season per se, this year's drought resulted in prime conditions for the fire to spread far faster and more intensely than what is typical for this time of year. Conditions were ideal for fighting it, they were on it early, and reacted with every resource available and still could not contain it. So yeah, I would say fire season has started.

• Haha
Reactions: Aruka and Havoc

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Yup. This is the third or fourth homeless related fire in the area in the last year or so. The rest were accidents I think. But now they are talking about building a homeless village at Will Rogers SB.... :socrazy:

And while this wasn't a result of fire season per se, this year's drought resulted in prime conditions for the fire to spread far faster and more intensely than what is typical for this time of year. Conditions were ideal for fighting it, they were on it early, and reacted with every resource available and still could not contain it. So yeah, I would say fire season has started.
Just up the hill from my mom's house. And yeah, she is pissed about the homeless village at Will Rogers as that's her usual biking/walking area. I don't know how they're going to do Junior Lifeguards there with all the derelicts. Damn, how things change. I remember doing JG there and we watched the various Baywatch girls do multiple takes jogging on the sand while raiding the catering truck and clowning Jeremy Jackson.

Firefighters did an awesome job curtailing that fire.

• Love
Reactions: One-Off and sizzld1

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise

if u build it they will come lolz.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
if u build it they will come lolz.
Field of Nightmares

There's a lot of empty space in the desert and given the squalor on most people's properties out there, well, what difference would a few extra rusted shopping carts make? By the time they realize desert varnish doesn't have any alcohol in it, it will be too late. :monkey:

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
Citizen app told locals to "hunt" down a man for starting a California fire, offered reward – but had the wrong guy
CARLA SINCLAIR 10:28 AM TUE MAY 18, 2021

The "personal safety network" app Citizen ignited a vigilante hunt for a man they identified as the suspect of a California brush fire that tore through Pacific Palisades over the weekend, burning 1,325 acres. The irresponsible app posted a photo of the so-called "suspect," started a live broadcast that asked listeners to "hunt this guy down," and "bring this guy to justice," and even offered $30,000 to anyone who caught the man. But after all that, Citizen had the wrong dude.
From Daily Dot:
Los Angeles police questioned the man and eliminated him as a suspect, the Los Angeles Times reports. In fact, the man in the photo wasn't who an LAPD officer in a helicopter had seen igniting fires.
In a statement to the Times, Citizen said that the photo being posted was an "error" and that they did not have "formal coordination with the appropriate agencies."
"We publicly posted the photo and offered a cash reward for information without formal coordination with the appropriate agencies. Once we realized this error, we immediately retracted the photo and reward offer. We are actively working to improve our internal processes to ensure this does not occur again. This was a mistake we are taking very seriously," Citizen told the Times.

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
I saw a lot of those messages on the "Nextdoor" app. Thought about going to look for the dude, not only to keep the neighborhood safe but $30k...

Even though he apparently was not responsible for this one, that guy is one of the sketchier bums making their home in the bushes of lower Tuna Canyon or nearby along PCH. He was running around for a few months last year painted blood red from head to toe and got confrontational with a bunch of residents. Talk about a weird sight to see when cruising the coast.

Sucks that he was wrongly accused, but hopefully he takes off anyway.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I wrote to the governor and my congressman and suggested a big chunk of the CA surplus be used for fire mitigation (100 year back log of controlled burns) and fire fighting equipment (tanker planes).

I don't know if they do controlled burns in the Santa Monica Mountains.

This is in or very near the area that burned. It was pretty thick.

IMG_4205.jpgIMG_4179.jpgIMG_4186.jpg

• Love
Reactions: sizzld1

~rwright~

Michael Peterson status
Apr 14, 2015
Los Angeles~California!
hmmm,
it'z 3:03 am, L.A. time,
but i am l8 to this thread,
shall i too, chime in, as i'm wide awake~ie, + caffenated,
hmmm,
hahaha...
:waving:

ok~ie-dokie!
Eric, a Pali born+raised loc,
was watchin' a hill near~by, burn on May24th,:
AK1J0390~ST1.JPG
+
AK1J0499~ST1.JPG

oh gosh, golly gee,
this fire was not thee 1 made mention of,
that 'Red' was thought to have set, which he did not do so i told him to get a lawyer, get him some $$$...
what~evz, i'm just glad that 'The Roof, it ain't on Fire'!
yikez...

Last edited:

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Hope springs eternal-
IMG_5334.jpg

I think most of the big trees in the valley will survive. The underbrush probably needed the clearing. The hillsides will hopefully grow back quickly.

Maybe someone knows what these are for? One was tied to a burned, hollowed out tree. But many others were tied to small saplings.

IMG_5332.jpg

Firebird

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 5, 2010
OC
It's a heads up warning for other firefighters in the area for a tree that could potentially fall and injure or kill someone. Not sure why they'd be tied to saplings, other than to block access to an area where there was a "widow maker".

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
It's a heads up warning for other firefighters in the area for a tree that could potentially fall and injure or kill someone. Not sure why they'd be tied to saplings, other than to block access to an area where there was a "widow maker".
Thanks. We also noticed a lot of other different colored ribbons in the area. Do you know if they ever do controlled burns in the Santa Monica Mountains? I'm guessing they don't. Too close to inhabited areas. Too much fuel.

When we hike we always bring a bag and a trash picker. Usually we get only a few pieces of trash. This time the fire exposed a ton of bottles and cans (mostly cheap beer). Seems like people just toss their trash into the bushes. We would have needed a few hefty bags to haul out all the trash we found. FKn pigs.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Thanks. We also noticed a lot of other different colored ribbons in the area. Do you know if they ever do controlled burns in the Santa Monica Mountains? I'm guessing they don't. Too close to inhabited areas. Too much fuel.

When we hike we always bring a bag and a trash picker. Usually we get only a few pieces of trash. This time the fire exposed a ton of bottles and cans (mostly cheap beer). Seems like people just toss their trash into the bushes. We would have needed a few hefty bags to haul out all the trash we found. FKn pigs.
A huge chunk of the fires in LA County are arsons for unpaid drug debts among the homeless population. Follow "streetpeopleoflosangeles" on IG. He posts a fire almost every day.

They're not going to do anything about the fuel such as cut firebreaks or use goats.