Diamond tails

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Sorry for starting so many threads lately. I do that when I'm about to make a new board.

The explanation I heard that stuck in my mind is that the diamond shortens the rail line and makes the board feel shorter when on rail.

Any first hand experiences?

Reactions: Northern_Shores

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I really like diamond tails. I've ridden a bunch of different variations and honestly I can't think of one that I didn't like. Riding a Stamps Gigglebox a lot lately which has a mellow diamond squash. Nothing crazy and probably would work fine as a strait squash as well but it feels like it rolls rail to rail really nice and has a fun, loose feel. In some ways I think a diamond tail feels a little bit like a round pin in that there is always that center point in contact with the water as it rolls rail to rail which gives it that connected, smooth feeling.

Comparing a swallow and a diamond in a similar design, the swallow will have a bit more bite and drive while the diamond will be looser and quicker rail to rail.

My buddy has an NPJ middy channel bottom with diamond tail that is epic. Super fast and loose and playful for 6-8.

White Diamond was an epic boar. A true diamond tail. Had more of a faceted diamond that wasn't maybe as smooth as some of the more rounded, moderate diamond tails out there but it was definitely a riot to surf.

Hayden Loot is mellow diamond. Super smooth and easy board.

I dunno if rocket tails are technically their own thing but they feel like a diamond tail to me. I have a SMTH Drive Thru which has that type of tail and it feels very similar to a White Diamond in the way it surfs.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I really like diamond tails. I've ridden a bunch of different variations and honestly I can't think of one that I didn't like. Riding a Stamps Gigglebox a lot lately which has a mellow diamond squash. Nothing crazy and probably would work fine as a strait squash as well but it feels like it rolls rail to rail really nice and has a fun, loose feel. In some ways I think a diamond tail feels a little bit like a round pin in that there is always that center point in contact with the water as it rolls rail to rail which gives it that connected, smooth feeling.

Comparing a swallow and a diamond in a similar design, the swallow will have a bit more bite and drive while the diamond will be looser and quicker rail to rail.

My buddy has an NPJ middy channel bottom with diamond tail that is epic. Super fast and loose and playful for 6-8.

White Diamond was an epic boar. A true diamond tail. Had more of a faceted diamond that wasn't maybe as smooth as some of the more rounded, moderate diamond tails out there but it was definitely a riot to surf.

Hayden Loot is mellow diamond. Super smooth and easy board.

I dunno if rocket tails are technically their own thing but they feel like a diamond tail to me. I have a SMTH Drive Thru which has that type of tail and it feels very similar to a White Diamond in the way it surfs.
Thanks. That's kind of the greenlight I was hoping to hear. I'm going to try one.

does the Gigglebox have vee?

Reactions: Aruka

MrSteve

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 1, 2015
NJ
The magic of google ;):

The Giggle Box is a blend of 80's and 90's concepts with the refinements of today. It has a flatter deck with angular rails to keep the rail line foiled out. Lower rocker with softer contours and concaves with a touch of vee off the tail. Slight 'beak' nose. The fin area features a slight bevel/chine to keep it quick and responsive. A fuller volume board that feels quick and nimble. The name for this one came from one of the first ones I made and gave to a friend to ride...he said from the first few waves he was just 'giggling' with how fast he was going and the turns he could do so easily! ... the 'Box' comes from the flatter deck....hence, the 'GiggleBox" was born!

Reactions: Aruka

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Thanks. That's kind of the greenlight I was hoping to hear. I'm going to try one.

does the Gigglebox have vee?
yeah a little vee behind rear fin. pretty mellow bottom contours overall. i think the chine rail is the secret sauce. it's a very subtle diamond.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
D8C28397-176B-4059-BC32-DEAFD7ED40E9.jpeg
why settle? the swallow + diamond! I believe tomo calls this a gimmick tail. LOL. I don’t know quite how to describe it, other than good hold yet releases easily too. Board is meant for weak / mushy /slopey waves (Japan/SoCal) with flat rocker, wide tail, parallel rails and it’s been fun as quad, tri, twin+1.
:ROFLMAO:

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I think of diamonds as the opposite of a swallow: adds more planing area; whereas, the swallow reduces it. swallow sits lower in the water for more hold.
I would actually subtract area. But the swallow is also subtraction. I template the curve. Then cut the swallow out or in the case fo the diamond cut the corners off for the diamond. I hope the diamond will still have that bite at the corner (Gerlach said he liked swallows because he could feel the corner). But maybe the short rail line will allow for a little tighter hook?

Tomo's tail looks like a nightmare to glass. Add channels and e wings and it would be a good prank to pull on a glasser. Watch his reaction when he first looks at it.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: oeste858

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
View attachment 110733
why settle? the swallow + diamond! I believe tomo calls this a gimmick tail. LOL. I don’t know quite how to describe it, other than good hold yet releases easily too. Board is meant for weak / mushy /slopey waves (Japan/SoCal) with flat rocker, wide tail, parallel rails and it’s been fun as quad, tri, twin+1.
:ROFLMAO:
#belieber :cheers:

• Haha
Reactions: oeste858

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
work like wings only further back (pivot point)
think of them as opposite of what a swallow does
hard to see sharp diamonds mostly rounded diamonds these days
used to be a favorite tail for my single or thruster glass on boards
rounded diamond for hot doggin
rounded pin for power and speed

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I think of diamond tail like a thumb or pintail with edges instead of wings "swallow" to give you a little more grip on wave face:shaka: Currently only have one board with diamond tail. Gbuzz 5'2" x20 .25" x 2.375" quad really wide tail.

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
Diamond tail was replaced a very Loong time ago in the evolution of design
So was the square tail, pin tail, squash tail, swallow tail, etc. What is your point? Are you trying to say it doesn't haven't any utility? IF so, why not just say that?