Can i start a vegetable and herb garden thread?

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
The new apartment has no real yard space to mess with a garden.

There is room on the roof, but I'm afraid anything up there will be blown away. The wind pushing up the hill is intense and way stronger than a mile back where we moved from.

There is a partial shade/sun patch downstairs that the neighbor has snagged for succulents but I don't really want to mess with it, so my gardening foray has been paused.

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
rooftop patch with wind protection in your future Bob!

IMG-20210504-WA0000.jpeg

here we protect against wind, cats, rabbits, hedge hogs, mice/rats, dogs, saharan winds loaded with yucky red dust.

if one can do something on this godforsaken rock next to the sahara in the middle of the ocean, a rooftop should be a buzz!

:shaka:

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
rooftop patch with wind protection in your future Bob!

View attachment 108843

here we protect against wind, cats, rabbits, hedge hogs, mice/rats, dogs, saharan winds loaded with yucky red dust.

if one can do something on this godforsaken rock next to the sahara in the middle of the ocean, a rooftop should be a buzz!

:shaka:

Thanks.

Problem is that we;re not exactly supposed to be up there.

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
The new apartment has no real yard space to mess with a garden.

There is room on the roof, but I'm afraid anything up there will be blown away. The wind pushing up the hill is intense and way stronger than a mile back where we moved from.

There is a partial shade/sun patch downstairs that the neighbor has snagged for succulents but I don't really want to mess with it, so my gardening foray has been paused.
Don't think wind will bother them, in fact, it makes them stronger.

SurfFuerteventura

Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
got a friend in oaksterdam who pulls 40-50 lbs off a rooftop he's not supposed to have access to as well.
sea of green.
:shrug:

centrlcoastkook

Billy Hamilton status
Jul 2, 2002
If you have the patience and meticulous cleaning habits, have at it, I think any standard recipe is a good starting point.

I like to throw julienned cabbage into the saute pan after I take my chicken out and cook for 3-5 minutes. Tastes like chinese food and cleans the pan for you too :beer:
I just mailed an old friend in Seattle some of those seeds I had left over. She'll be planting them this weekend (hopefully).

I'll take some photos of the ones I started in November 2020 and post them later.

Time to start figuring out what to do with all the cabbage....anyone got a good kimchi recipe?

Mr. Doof I've followed this funny lady's recipe at least 4 times. I don't even make the porridge and it comes out great. https://www.maangchi.com/recipe/easy-kimchi

Reactions: Mr Doof

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Don't think wind will bother them, in fact, it makes them stronger.
Strong wind doesn't make all plants stronger.

Most edible plants don't thrive in lots of wind. The more I protect my plants from the SF fog wind of 50-55 degree winds, the better they grow. Tomato plants will grow in the backyard ok, but in the front by the street without the protection, forget it.

1620154338097.png

Reactions: Aruka

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
any experince with watermelon
They don't transplant very well so transplant when small or better, in the ground. They have a long growing season and if you can keep the temps at night above 65-70 you'll do much better. Needs lots (!) of space, deep soil, and you need to taper off the watering as the fruit matures.

Would bet there is far better advice out there than this than my hazy memory from trying to grow these when I lived in Corvallis.

PS
Eggshells in the compost are good idea. Plants use calcium to build strong cell walls which in turn makes a stronger plant.

Reactions: grapedrink

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
PS
Eggshells in the compost are good idea. Plants use calcium to build strong cell walls which in turn makes a stronger plant.
we just had the little annual flush where the surfline is loaded with tiny tiny shells

not sure if limpets, baby mussels, or clams...

was thinking about scooping up a bunch rinsing, pulverizing, and sprinkling on to compost pile

Reactions: enframed

SurfFuerteventura

Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
leave nature alone, you've got everything you need to make excellent compost in the trashcan in your kitchen. never throw anything organic away again, put it in the bin. chop everything down to as small a size as you can, the worms process it that much faster. the only thing many people do not put in would be citrus rinds, things that might sprout, etc... me? I throw everything in there, my worms eat anything you throw at them, the quality of the fertilizer may vary though.

check out YouTube, the "worm hole" runs deep. there's a guy in Puerto Rico who buys his worms fresh organic produce. many Aussie freaks into the vermiculite too.

good luck and enjoy the best fertilizer known to man!

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
vermiculite and perlite would be good for me around here to help aid
water retention...I lose a lot of water to evap...my herb beds are most
vulnerable to this because the breezeway they sit in gets....breezy

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
vermiculite and perlite would be good for me around here to help aid
water retention...I lose a lot of water to evap...my herb beds are most
vulnerable to this because the breezeway they sit in gets....breezy