Semi-famous Surfer Real Estate Thread

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
I have a feeling people will be protesting/rallying for "stimulus packages" whenever petty "tough times" go down. You've got a generation of 18-20somethings, and a good portion of them with an intro to the real world being free money, and these days, if you want to be elected, you gotta please these kinds of people.
Ok boomer.

• Haha
Reactions: bluemarlin04

Ranga

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 31, 2008
Probably.

But I also think there is a few making lots of money and a lot barely making any.
Real Estate Agent is the preferred defacto career choice for people that have no idea what to do with their lives but know they want to make money. Most have zero education, little-to-no business acumen, and limited (if any) support - mostly a stack of biz cards and an atta boy. 90% of real estate transactions are showing a house, auto-filling a Mad-Libs contract, sending it docusign, calling a home inspector and waiting for a commission check. Good ones are worth it, but that's like 2% of the agents out there.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
word of advice, don't use a friend or even someone you know well. it's a business transaction. Don't mix it.

My realtor was hands off pretty much the whole process of looking, just had his semi cute and very friendly employee find us a house. When it came time to put in offer and negotiate he stepped in and didn't fvck around.

LelandCuz

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 21, 2011
Lahaina
A semi-famous erbb surfer now has a piece of dirt near the waves in Nicaragua. No word yet if he plans to erect a house or billboards.

• Haha
Reactions: Subway

McHatin

Nep status
Apr 11, 2010
You can throw a rock out here (Central Florida Coast) in any direction blindfolded and hit a realtor

There are more realtors than there are buyers, so that tells you all you need to know. Some definitely using a subtle “sex sells” approach to get an edge

LelandCuz

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 21, 2011
Lahaina
You can throw a rock out here (Central Florida Coast) in any direction blindfolded and hit a realtor

There are more realtors than there are buyers, so that tells you all you need to know. Some definitely using a subtle “sex sells” approach to get an edge
Around here (Maui) the realtor's problem isn't a lack of buyers, it's a lack of sellers. As crazy as the market is everyone assumes prices will only go up and if you sell you'll never own a place on Maui again.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I have a feeling people will be protesting/rallying for "stimulus packages" whenever petty "tough times" go down. You've got a generation of 18-20somethings, and a good portion of them with an intro to the real world being free money, and these days, if you want to be elected, you gotta please these kinds of people.
I have a nephew in that age range. The kind of hustles that him and his friends are into are mindblowing and make most of us look like friggin plebians. I think they saw the writing on the wall with the older millennials getting screwed by the last crash, student loans, worthless degrees etc

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Real Estate Agent is the preferred defacto career choice for people that have no idea what to do with their lives but know they want to make money. Most have zero education, little-to-no business acumen, and limited (if any) support - mostly a stack of biz cards and an atta boy. 90% of real estate transactions are showing a house, auto-filling a Mad-Libs contract, sending it docusign, calling a home inspector and waiting for a commission check. Good ones are worth it, but that's like 2% of the agents out there.
It's also a lifestyle job because of the flexible schedule. However you are also at the mercy of when your clients are available which is probably mostly on weekends. Probably a lot of time wasted with tire kickers.

iMO tough times are looming with Redfin and other transfer services that charge a 1% commission. I don't like the idea of selling my house through a realtor and having to hand them $30-40k of my equity just for schmoozing. I don't see the value.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
A semi-famous erbb surfer now has a piece of dirt near the waves in Nicaragua. No word yet if he plans to erect a house or billboards.
The billboards in this country all used to have the president and his wife (the VP) posted on them. We saw them burning in 2018. Now they are all blank lol

met a few of the local Rico’s last night, the Nicaraguan elite so to speak, and they have already suggested I get into various businesses with them :shrug:. Call centers, teak and mahogany plantations, fruit export...imperial subway?

ringer

Tom Curren status
Aug 2, 2002
Huntington Beach, California
The billboards in this country all used to have the president and his wife (the VP) posted on them. We saw them burning in 2018. Now they are all blank lol

met a few of the local Rico’s last night, the Nicaraguan elite so to speak, and they have already suggested I get into various businesses with them :shrug:. Call centers, teak and mahogany plantations, fruit export...imperial subway?
Keep your money in low-fee index funds, for now.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
That’s where it is, that and home equity. No I think these guys want access, and if the deals we were discussing are legit, I’m intrigued. I made it very clear I have no money to invest, and what I am saving, I’m saving to build a home here. But I have access to the us market in ways their families may not.

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
word of advice, don't use a friend or even someone you know well. it's a business transaction. Don't mix it.

My realtor was hands off pretty much the whole process of looking, just had his semi cute and very friendly employee find us a house. When it came time to put in offer and negotiate he stepped in and didn't fvvk around.
i dread the day we ever sell....we know so many realtors, have many realtor friends, will invariably ruffle all their feelings by not using them when the time comes.