Grow Site Found by Rangers in Death Valley NP

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I thought it was pretty smart, cover the PVC with those green things. But it seems expensive and those cheap standard rubber irrigation hoses are difficult to see. There's one up there that runs forever to where there's actually water and an old tarp covering tons of starter kits etc. Looks like they ditched it years ago, maybe during the drought.
Pool noodles don't cost sh!t. PVC isn't expensive if you google plumbing/pool businesses and check their dumpsters. It's free in that case.

If I was running a grow in Death Valley, and my employers were literally the cartel, with the consequences of failure said employment provides, I'd want something that stands up to rodent chewing better than standard rubber hose, that's for damn sure. Maybe some repurposed PVC from out a dumpster, wrapped in pool noodle that's been marinated in enough rat poison to sterilize a rabbit colony 30 miles away.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Pool noodles don't cost sh!t. PVC isn't expensive if you google plumbing/pool businesses and check their dumpsters. It's free in that case.

If I was running a grow in Death Valley, and my employers were literally the cartel, with the consequences of failure said employment provides, I'd want something that stands up to rodent chewing better than standard rubber hose, that's for damn sure. Maybe some repurposed PVC from out a dumpster, wrapped in pool noodle that's been marinated in enough rat poison to sterilize a rabbit colony 30 miles away.
For the record, I find it interesting that the eco-warriors protesting logging and such have hardly made a peep towards these illegal growing operations that do a shitload more harm to the environment.

It must cut into trimming season. :socrazy:

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
This is the kind of hose I've seen at illegal grow sites (Sepse, Gaviota, Santa Barbara, Santa Ynez river). Sometimes it has a blue stripe running down the hose.

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
This is the kind of hose I've seen at illegal grow sites (Sepse, Gaviota, Santa Barbara, Santa Ynez river). Sometimes it has a blue stripe running down the hose.

20210506_182839.jpg

Yup! :shaka:

• Haha
Reactions: _____

tbuc

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jun 12, 2006
Seems like a crazy place for a grow. They have water and it may be out of the wind but
once the temperature starts to climb i don't see that type of plant making it without
some type of screening on top.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I thought it was pretty smart, cover the PVC with those green things. But it seems expensive and those cheap standard rubber irrigation hoses are difficult to see. There's one up there that runs forever to where there's actually water and an old tarp covering tons of starter kits etc. Looks like they ditched it years ago, maybe during the drought.
You can get them from dollar stores. So probably not expensive unless you need miles and miles worth.

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
This is the kind of hose I've seen at illegal grow sites (Fuerteventura, Sepse, Gaviota, Santa Barbara, Santa Ynez river). Sometimes it has a blue stripe running down the hose.
Though they do exist, and I have visited them, my garden has nothing illegal about it, as I, and only I, consume 100% of what it produces.

I grow ten times what normal people grow, because I press it for the oils. Normal return being 6 to 1, ten times the norm is not so much.

Especially, when taking into account the desert dust (kalima) killing off so many, and my seed is 100% regular... IE: 50% male is normal.

That said, they buy their hosing at the same ag supply co-op I do apparently.

:shrug:

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
My aunt's ex husband was growing in the central valley back in the day, but all his patches were in the middle of big ag fields -- corn, almonds, oranges, whatever. He was making deals with the farmers. He got busted.

• Haha
Reactions: sizzld1

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
Those plants seem pretty big for this early in the season, is that really a recent photo?
Like mentioned previously, anytime after June it would seem they'd cook even with shade covering.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Red is Telescope Peak, blue is Furnace Creek:
1620328217284.png
1620328303047.png

Now black is Jail Canyon:
1620328363029.png

And here is the view from atop Telescope Peak, looking north..a 90 degree left will take you to Hall Canyon. Walk about 150 meters north and take a 90 degree left and you will drop you into Jail Canyon:

Bonus photo of some other canyon in Death Valley with Sweetie-pie...we had to scale the side to bypass a dryfall:

PS
Since we are sharing stories, growing up, we had friends in Sherwood, Oregon, and we'd often go over for holiday festivities. Their youngest and I would go out and down to the hollow, which was marshy in summer and lake in wetter years. Getting there we'd walk a ways through farmland (now houses), which is left of the red area (and sometimes walk across the train trestle in blue that was over the hollow). The red area was wild back then, and to the right, the disused quarry was still in operation (looks like they opened a new pit):
1620330611691.png

So this one time, we're probably about 13-14, we're stomping our way through the wild with a goal of getting to the quarry for a look because, well, what else are you gonna do in Sherwood at 13-14? So we come to the edge just as it dips into the hollow and wonder how marshy it is will be, how filthy would we get if we try to cross it, and decide to walk south where it narrows a bit.

And right about here (1) or there (2), find, I don't know, a 25x25 foot square patch of pot plants:
1620331190123.png

I thought it was kind of strange to find, Scott was all, "I'm so coming back here later."

As time progressed, our families did less together, and then I discovered the fun of making my own friends and not just being friends because of family circumstances, so we didn't do much together from then on.

About 10 years later, he ended up in jail for arson, drug possession and some other things.

We met up at a funeral in Portland about 5 years back. Studio guitar guy now.

Attachments

Last edited:

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Doof, is this area at high enough elevation that it doesn't blast furnace all summer long? And/or the spring feeding that little watershed is cool enough for the plants to regulate?

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
Haha hey now. Huge development is going on north side of Fresno right now. 1000's of new and expensive homes, new beautiful communities, new schools, new hospital, and new shopping areas and winery. On the river area, they have huge plans to put new paved roads down there and nice access points. They plan to turn the whole place into one big beautiful park. Should help alleviate some of the meth vibe. :roflmao:
My wife's from Clovis. There are some nice zones especially out the four lane when you can see mountains.

PeterDj

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 11, 2018
Maybe they were trying to replicated that unique Sinaloan desert terpine profile? It seems like a stupid idea some meth head from the midwest thought of to avoid smuggling across state borders, but too broke to afford land in murder mountain.

Reactions: Mr Doof

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Doof, is this area at high enough elevation that it doesn't blast furnace all summer long? And/or the spring feeding that little watershed is cool enough for the plants to regulate?
Hmmm, I wonder......

Telescope Peak is about 11,000 feet. The day I took this photo I was with the Eureka niece, nephew, Sweetie-pie and friends from Zurich. It was 63F according to the dangling thermometer around noon. The day before it was 112 at Furnace Creek around noon (when we left to get to to the camp side for the next morning hike to the top). At night at the camp site at 8800 Ft, it was about 40-45. The days were pretty much the same weather wise.

Furnace Creek is about -165 ft elevation.

Jail Canyon at the grow site (me estimating based on photos) is at 4500 ft.

Snowmelt is where the water is coming from. Any other precipitation could result in flash floods pretty easily. In calm-ish weather, canyons do funnel cool/cold air down at night (with hot coming up during day), steep walls (time of year dependent) can offer shade.

By start of May, in main valley, temps should be 100 or so by day, 75 at night.

I don't know much about growing cannabis, but from what I've read, I think they could handle May temps at that elevation with the available water. Unsure about mid-June through Sept though. I mean, the people growing them put in a lot of effort to grow them, probably would have started them in January (mild winder this season past), and well, June harvest?

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Maybe they were trying to replicated that unique Sinaloan desert terpine profile? It seems like a stupid idea some meth head from the midwest thought of to avoid smuggling across state borders, but too broke to afford land in murder mountain.

I was thinking it was some people from nearby Ballarat or Darwin or Panamint Springs or slightly further Trona/Ridgecrest.

You can drive the mouth of Jail Canyon in most cars, some interesting ruins to explore. Further in is UP and requires some effort, which is where the pot was growing

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
I was thinking it was some people from nearby Ballarat or Darwin or Panamint Springs or slightly further Trona/Ridgecrest.

You can drive the mouth of Jail Canyon in most cars, some interesting ruins to explore. Further in is UP and requires some effort, which is where the pot was growing
He said Trona. :dancing:

From what I’ve seen in this thread those vatos are/were pendejos. Start with it’s the only green in a huge area. Is there anybody with an IQ over room temperature that doesn’t know that big brother is watching?