BSR

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
Who's been? I'll be going for a buddies bachelor party later this year, but we'll only be there for one day so I'm not going to deal with bringing my own boards.

How's the rental situation? I figure it'd be worth bringing my own fins, just need to find out what system their rental boards have.

I've heard mixed things about expert vs intermediate wave sessions. I'm a pretty average surfer and was leaning of doing a mix of the two sessions throughout the day. Mostly looking for the chance to land an air or two (ocean make rate near 0) and get some head dips. What's the erbb mind trusts experience with int vs expert?

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
I went with 9 other guys in October 2019 and rented the place for the day. Started out 70 degrees and gorgeous. Around 1pm it got stormy, windy and cold AF. 3/2 to start. 4/3 w booties, gloves and hood to end as the air dipped to 40 degrees. Wind was offshore all day on the rights and onshore on the lefts.

We rotated between the "Lowers" wave (expert i guess?)
The Air wave (meh for me)
and the Slab (fun) all day - 5 in the water at a time - split up 5 regulars/ 5 goofies.

Brought boards but looked like they had a good selection of rentals. Slaters/ DHD's, and a few Lost. I rode my Flare for the most part and IMO it was perfect for the wave.

Figuring out where to sit and stay in position is really tricky to learn. Theres a sweet spot thats different for each wave style but you'll be being pushed away from it because of the current and turbulence of the prior wave. Getting into position if your 2nd or third up is a real bitch. If youre in the spot though, barely need to paddle. If not - youll blow waves for sure. A few of the guys had been before and dialed us in. W/o them woulda taken alot longer to figure it out.

The Lowers wave will offer up a little head dip barrel on the inside of the rights and lefts but mostly youre just trying to stay in the very tight pocket. The wave is steep so if your not in the pocket - itll buck you off.

The Air wave is just pump, pump, pump - flail miserably in my experience. Resorted to just trying wallet dropper layback hacks instead of trying to get in the air.

The slab is a quick little thrill. Novelty really. After 2 or 3 youll be over it.

Things I wasnt prepared for.

Its shallow! If you fall in the slab - were talking shin deep - concrete. Split my elbow wide open on my first attempt. Coming into the inside section is the same..if you fall here your basically slip sliding on concrete like a baseball player into homebase.

Going backside is really really tricky.

Underwater sounds like a horror movie with all the mechanics doing their thing.

Its just weird - sort of feels like a wave - but then doesnt. Has alot of punch for a small setup. Lots and lots of current in that pool and if you fall on the first wave of the set, your basically going to be right in the way of waves 2 and 3 and dodging your homies.

All that said - I had fun. Wouldnt go out of my way to go back per se and the whole day was way to much surfing. like a hundred waves if not more, but if I was in the area - id book a sesh for sure.

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
Thanks for the insight. i thought the bottom had a pvc liner or something. Concrete sounds really unpleasant.

Reactions: Havoc

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Thanks for the insight. i thought the bottom had a pvc liner or something. Concrete sounds really unpleasant.
some parts of the pool are lined..but its not padding. basically white saran wrap that makes everything super slippery. The slab breaks in a section of the pool thats not lined.

youll hit bottom for sure through the day and had some people really eff up their boards from them bouncing of the bottom too.

Reactions: MathDebater

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
Sounds like renting a board isn't such a bad thing.

I think I'll have time for four sessions, I think I might go int - exp - exp - int so I can get used to it then scale down when I'm beat at the end.

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
Lol, imagine taking a surf trip here
That does not not look set on 'expert'. Expert seemed bigger to me. I was a complete kook there. Did get one real good wave frontside and one backside. It was a bitch to catch a wave - very fast and tricky on expert bc it comes up so fast. Way harder to catch than Typhoon Lagoon for example. I'd start out there on Intermediate if I had it to do over again. Of course it was practically snowing when I was there, so I was moving a little slower than usual - but still.

1620321741586.png

1620321674214.png

1620321815145.png

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
That does not not look set on 'expert'. Expert seemed bigger to me. I was a complete kook there. Did get one real good wave frontside and one backside. It was a bitch to catch a wave - very fast and tricky on expert bc it comes up so fast. Way harder to catch than Typhoon Lagoon for example. I'd start out there on Intermediate if I had it to do over again. Of course it was practically snowing when I was there, so I was moving a little slower than usual - but still.

View attachment 108946

View attachment 108945

View attachment 108947
the video makes it look ALOT mellower than it is IMO. smaller/ slower, and more forgiving but YMMV

Oct 21, 2021
i lived in texas for a year and had to check the bsr/waco pool out at least once... it was ok for a day trip but i wouldnt go out of my way to take a flight or book a hotel there. the whole surrounding area is dumpy texas brush country, not much to do. if i was gonna pay for a flight and lodging i would rather just go to baja, pr, hell even florida or calfornia.

HOWEVER for some people that are dying to practice airs or avoid crowds i guess it has a certain appeal. the people who get it dialed are PSYCHED. but many decent surfers have trouble figuring out the weird takeoff.

it took me the majority of my one hour sesh to figure it out. by the end i was getting all my waves but for the price it was like "i could have just gone to a real break and stayed out as long as i want" instead of getting herded around on an hourly schedule. the way they have you line up and get in a rotation feels like swim practice. just not the freedom and good vibes that i look for in a surf sesh.

regarding the intermediate vs advanced, its worth trying them both. i think you'll find the biggest difference is not the wave itself but rather the crowd. since the 'beginner' wave is such a shitty little ripple, there are a ton of learners who want to step up to the intermediate level but have trouble making their waves and getting out of the way afterwards. the advanced wave gets a much more serious crowd of rippers.

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
regarding the intermediate vs advanced, its worth trying them both. i think you'll find the biggest difference is not the wave itself but rather the crowd. since the 'beginner' wave is such a shitty little ripple, there are a ton of learners who want to step up to the intermediate level but have trouble making their waves and getting out of the way afterwards. the advanced wave gets a much more serious crowd of rippers.
Definitely a bid difference in crowd. I got so many "bonus waves" during my intermediate session because of people unable to catch or ride their waves. But there were very few barrels on offer at that setting.