Grow Site Found by Rangers in Death Valley NP

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Good on ya. I'll give you both points .... but from a growers view .... :nana:
What about the First People's point of view? :shrug:

“We are deeply saddened and concerned with the damage that these illegal activities cause,” said Barbara Durham, Traditional Historic Preservation Officer for the Timbisha Shoshone Tribe. “The natural and cultural resources in these areas are irreplaceable and invaluable, damaging them for profit shows incredible disrespect to our homeland.”

Reactions: PPK96754 and Chocki

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
In Fresno, the San Joaquin river runs along the north side of town. On the north side of the river there is a private drive that leads to the bottom. The river bed / valley is super wide, probably 1/4 of a mile or more, although the actual flowing river part is significantly less wide. The area is divided up into a maze of dirt roads and fishing ponds. Some of them connect to the river and others do not.

One night, in the early 2000's, I was in town and took my gf down there on a full moon night. We were in my TRD Tacoma and I was ripping through the dirt maze like a lunatic around midnight. Kicked up huge clouds of dust everywhere. We were young and bored, and I wanted to find a spot to park and canoodle in the bed. :monkey: About 15m into our fun, I'm blasting through the dirt roads and I see headlights in the distance. So I stopped quickly, turned off my lights and backed up between some tall bushes.

The headlights headed right for us. Awe fuck, I thought for sure it was the local sheriff and I was going to be arrested for tresspassing. Not many people knew about this access point at the time. As the truck got closer, i could tell is wasn't a sheriff, but he definitely saw us sitting in the dark. As he pulled up to us, I fired up the truck again and pulled out of the narrow dirt road we were both on. He was facing the opposite way. The road was so narrow, I squeezed over against the bushes to let him pass.

But he had his window down, arm out, flagging me down. I could see it was an older farmer looking dude.

"What are you doing down here?!" he shouted. I told him the river was public domain (it wasn't). He said he was calling the sheriffs and that he had a gun. He asked if the growing operation was mine and told me to stay put. Instinctively, I yelled out "fvck you!" without hesitation and floored it, leaving him in a huge dust cloud. He had no way to easily flip a u-turn and I was literally doing 40-50mph on the dirt road to get out there, with my lights off! My gf was like 'holy sh!t this is crazy!' and I just told her to hang on tight. :roflmao:

We got out there. A few days later, I found out through the grapevine the sheriffs had discovered a large grow operation down there, just a few days prior. And they were watching the place closely trying to catch the growers in the act. The operation was located on a difficult to access part of the river, right where we were offroading. :roflmao:

Bayview

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 21, 2009
NJ
I put a trail cam out for a few weeks looking for wildlife and randomly got 2 guys going in late afternoon and out at night with their irrigation stuff. One thing is for sure, those 2 dum dums got completely covered in poison oak.

View attachment 108930
Classic. The stuff my trail cams catch is nucking futs. So many naked dudes hiking. Coons/squirrels/deer procreating.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
In Fresno, the San Joaquin river runs along the north side of town. On the north side of the river there is a private drive that leads to the bottom. The river bed / valley is super wide, probably 1/4 of a mile or more, although the actual flowing river part is significantly less wide. The area is divided up into a maze of dirt roads and fishing ponds. Some of them connect to the river and others do not.

One night, in the early 2000's, I was in town and took my gf down there on a full moon night. We were in my TRD Tacoma and I was ripping through the dirt maze like a lunatic around midnight. Kicked up huge clouds of dust everywhere. We were young and bored, and I wanted to find a spot to park and canoodle in the bed. :monkey: About 15m into our fun, I'm blasting through the dirt roads and I see headlights in the distance. So I stopped quickly, turned off my lights and backed up between some tall bushes.

The headlights headed right for us. Awe fook, I thought for sure it was the local sheriff and I was going to be arrested for tresspassing. Not many people knew about this access point at the time. As the truck got closer, i could tell is wasn't a sheriff, but he definitely saw us sitting in the dark. As he pulled up to us, I fired up the truck again and pulled out of the narrow dirt road we were both on. He was facing the opposite way. The road was so narrow, I squeezed over against the bushes to let him pass.

But he had his window down, arm out, flagging me down. I could see it was an older farmer looking dude.

"What are you doing down here?!" he shouted. I told him the river was public domain (it wasn't). He said he was calling the sheriffs and that he had a gun. He asked if the growing operation was mine and told me to stay put. Instinctively, I yelled out "fvvk you!" without hesitation and floored it, leaving him in a huge dust cloud. He had no way to easily flip a u-turn and I was literally doing 40-50mph on the dirt road to get out there, with my lights off! My gf was like 'holy sh!t this is crazy!' and I just told her to hang on tight. :roflmao:

We got out there. A few days later, I found out through the grapevine the sheriffs had discovered a large grow operation down there, just a few days prior. And they were watching the place closely trying to catch the growers in the act. The operation was located on a difficult to access part of the river, right where we were offroading. :roflmao:
that whole river area has a sort of meth/weedfarm/get murdered or anally raped by an old man vibe

• Haha
Reactions: Boneroni and r32

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
that whole river area has a sort of meth/weedfarm/get murdered or anally raped by an old man vibe
Haha hey now. Huge development is going on north side of Fresno right now. 1000's of new and expensive homes, new beautiful communities, new schools, new hospital, and new shopping areas and winery. On the river area, they have huge plans to put new paved roads down there and nice access points. They plan to turn the whole place into one big beautiful park. Should help alleviate some of the meth vibe. :roflmao:

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
ha, yeah I know. I actually really like woodward park. we go there quite a bit when we visit. my inlaws area sure has grown a ton since I started going up there over 20 years ago.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Classic. The stuff my trail cams catch is nucking futs. So many naked dudes hiking. Coons/squirrels/deer procreating.
I was surprised to see people where that cam was except trespassing during hunting season. There's a creepy cave at the canyon entrance and I was hoping to get a mtn lion.
I put another cam where it's sorta notorious for naked dudes/drugs/creepers/etc for security. I maxed an extension ladder and wrapped it way up in a tree and it was gone in a few days. A branch was snapped off way up so someone really didn't want whatever they were doing to be seen. I probably wouldn't have wanted to see it anyway.

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Group meetup?

Have skully put something together.

I'd love to attend, but every poster here has a restraining order against me.
At Eunice's place?

The dungeon cannot be far from there, right?

As for the grow, meh.

If it got caught, homie was more gorilla, than guerilla, yes?

:shameonyou:

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
i didnt think of death valley as a place with good water supply
guess its like a riverbed there...
think they booby trapped the place?
or just planted stuff and planned to come back in a year?

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
I was surprised to see people where that cam was except trespassing during hunting season. There's a creepy cave at the canyon entrance and I was hoping to get a mtn lion.
I put another cam where it's sorta notorious for naked dudes/drugs/creepers/etc for security. I maxed an extension ladder and wrapped it way up in a tree and it was gone in a few days. A branch was snapped off way up so someone really didn't want whatever they were doing to be seen. I probably wouldn't have wanted to see it anyway.
Sasquatch bro.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
i didnt think of death valley as a place with good water supply
guess its like a riverbed there...
think they booby trapped the place?
or just planted stuff and planned to come back in a year?
I am betting they come back much more than that. Growing season isn't generally through Nov-Feb, and I would imagine they are keeping a close eye on pests, males/hermaphrodytes, probably fertilizing the SHYTE out of it, maybe doing some pruning/trimming to get'er nice and bushy, etc.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I put a trail cam out for a few weeks looking for wildlife and randomly got 2 guys going in late afternoon and out at night with their irrigation stuff. One thing is for sure, those 2 dum dums got completely covered in poison oak.

View attachment 108930
That's a lot of pool noodles :unsure:

I always thought Lake County would be a great place for a Deliverance reboot, but sounds like this place takes the cake :drowning: :beer:

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
That's a lot of pool noodles :unsure:
I always thought Lake County would be a great place for a Deliverance reboot, but sounds like this place takes the cake :drowning: :beer:
I thought it was pretty smart, cover the PVC with those green things. But it seems expensive and those cheap standard rubber irrigation hoses are difficult to see. There's one up there that runs forever to where there's actually water and an old tarp covering tons of starter kits etc. Looks like they ditched it years ago, maybe during the drought.