The Mosquito Coast (1986)

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019
Starring Harrison Ford

Has anyone seen this ? I'm watching it now - wondering how the director / writer forecasted our present moment so well and has never been recognized for it.

This movie is amazing.

Reactions: hal9000

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Paul Theroux....

his nephew is starring in the prestige TV remake

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
Loved it when I saw it as a kid. IIRC it got horrible reviews back then, and totally get why. If it had been a lower budget B film with unknown cast it would have had better reviews, IMO. People could not handle Han Solo being that psycho.

I should watch it again.

Reactions: $kully

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019
haha. i mean it's kind of bad and corny overall but it's a great watch.
a lot of misguided idealism throughout - @$kully i just googled it and streamed through like putlocker or 123streaming or one of the crime ones.

'Allie Fox was as timely and recognizable in the early ’80s as he is in the early 2020s. In all of his iterations, the character joins a long tradition of American contrarians and idealists, optimistic tinkerers and revolutionaries, paranoiacs and holy fools. Like a lot of Americans, he thinks everyone else is the problem and that he has all the answers. It’s that unique yet recognizable mix of inventiveness and repugnance that makes Allie Fox such an indelible American character. Way back when, his creator loved putting words in his mouth. Since then, actors like Ford and Theroux have been eager to put on his clothes; critics have wrestled with his unlikability; and readers and viewers have fallen for his infuriating charisma.'

Last edited:

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
I like that movie, I think its one of his best.
Did you (or others) read the book before you saw the movie? The book is great but I can’t see the story in the condensed form necessary for screen.

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
American contrarians and idealists, optimistic tinkerers and revolutionaries, paranoiacs and holy fools. Like a lot of Americans, he thinks everyone else is the problem and that he has all the answers. It’s that unique yet recognizable mix of inventiveness and repugnance that makes Allie Fox such an indelible American character.
who does this remind me of that posts here:unsure:

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III

'Allie Fox was as timely and recognizable in the early ’80s as he is in the early 2020s. In all of his iterations, the character joins a long tradition of American contrarians and idealists, optimistic tinkerers and revolutionaries, paranoiacs and holy fools. Like a lot of Americans, he thinks everyone else is the problem and that he has all the answers. It’s that unique yet recognizable mix of inventiveness and repugnance that makes Allie Fox such an indelible American character. Way back when, his creator loved putting words in his mouth. Since then, actors like Ford and Theroux have been eager to put on his clothes; critics have wrestled with his unlikability; and readers and viewers have fallen for his infuriating charisma.'
Exactly. He's a cult leader who only had just enough charisma to scam his family.

The film (and book of course) was way ahead of its time, but the film specifically.

Imagine a Norwegian version with Anders Breivik as Allie. It would win all sorts of awards now.

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019
Exactly. He's a cult leader who only had just enough charisma to scam his family.

The film (and book of course) was way ahead of its time, but the film specifically.

Imagine a Norwegian version with Anders Breivik as Allie. It would win all sorts of awards now.
lol - he could barely convince his family... he and his wife 'had a bond!' since childhood.

either way - the fantasy is nuts but I kind of see the appeal, this is like a darker version of what I expect to be a pretty common fantasy of a simple / idealistic lifestyle run up against the reality of society and competition for resources/ideas.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
my fantasy is more swiss family robinson than mosquito coast

there are certainly parts of mosquito coast that I identify with

I'd like to think I've got the megalomania thing under control...

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019
my fantasy is more swiss family robinson than mosquito coast

there are certainly parts of mosquito coast that I identify with

I'd like to think I've got the megalomania thing under control...

i like the swiss family robinson vibe - the shipwreck part has me hesitating on adding it to my fantasy li