8 predictions for 2030

Rlacey111

Nep status
Feb 14, 2021
In 1999 Ray Kurzweil made these predictions about 2019 (I cherry-picked a few; link here):

--Computers are embedded everywhere in the environment (inside of furniture, jewelry, walls, clothing, etc.).
--People experience 3-D virtual reality through glasses and contact lenses that beam images directly to their retinas (retinal display). Coupled with an auditory source (headphones), users can remotely communicate with other people and access the Internet.
--These special glasses and contact lenses can deliver "augmented reality" and "virtual reality."
--Most people own more than one PC, though the concept of what a "computer" is has changed considerably: Computers are no longer limited in design to laptops or CPUs contained in a large box connected to a monitor. Instead, devices with computer capabilities come in all sorts of unexpected shapes and sizes.
--Rotating computer hard drives are no longer used.
--Pinhead-sized cameras are everywhere.
--Thin, lightweight, handheld displays with very high resolutions are the preferred means for viewing documents. The aforementioned computer eyeglasses and contact lenses are also used for this same purpose, and all download the information wirelessly.
--Computers have made paper books and documents almost completely obsolete.
--Students still learn together and socialize, though this is often done remotely via computers.
--All students have access to computers.
---Language translating machines are of much higher quality, and are routinely used in conversations.
--Effective language technologies (natural language processing, speech recognition, speech synthesis) exist.
--Anyone can wirelessly access the internet with wearable devices such as computerized glasses, contacts, and watches.
--Worldwide economic growth has continued. There has not been a global economic collapse.
--The vast majority of business interactions occur between humans and simulated retailers, or between a human's virtual personal assistant and a simulated retailer.
--Computers do most of the vehicle driving—humans are in fact prohibited from driving on highways unassisted. Furthermore, when humans do take over the wheel, the onboard computer system constantly monitors their actions and takes control whenever the human drives recklessly. As a result, there are very few transportation accidents.
--Most roads now have automated driving systems—networks of monitoring and communication devices that allow computer-controlled automobiles to safely navigate.
--While a growing number of humans believe that their computers and the simulated personalities they interact with are intelligent to the point of human-level consciousness, experts dismiss the possibility that any could pass the Turing Test.
--Public places and workplaces are ubiquitously monitored to prevent violence and all actions are recorded permanently. Personal privacy is a major political issue, and some people protect themselves with unbreakable computer codes.
--Computerized watches, clothing, and jewelry can monitor the wearer's health continuously. They can detect many types of diseases and offer recommendations for treatment.

I feel like most of this stuff is already here and happening.

Reactions: Bohter

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
wasn't this the same thing that started it all?
allot of people didn't seem to have a problem with this BS

Bohter

Michael Peterson status
Mar 7, 2006

Stepping stones to the big show...

Trump cornered a large % of the right with his "drain the swamp" stuff....and the possibly associated Q BS.
Now they have a convenient target painted on their backs...and are now extremist movements....
Something must be done...

And the Brexit stuff?
Haven't given it much thought....but sitting duck now comes to mind.

Just sayin....

ZZ Soft Top

Nep status
Sep 22, 2013
Manta Sonica
Professional contest surfing will still essentially be a niche sport. Some people will still be trying to make it into something popular. And there will be less than five of Kelly's wave pools around the world.

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
The one that gets me is man will populate Mars.
IMO, ain't going to happen anywhere in the near future.
Sure, we may visit, but man won't set up camp and stay.
One of the biggest obstacles is gravity, (among others minor obstacles like oxygen, and water)
Without gravity remotely close to Earth's (artificial or otherwise) humans would turn into spineless jellyfish.
Our muscles and bones would atrophy to the point we couldn't return to earth's gravity, we'd collapse like one of those old thumb toys that you push the bottom and the little doll crumbles.
Spend the $$$ elsewhere like fixing the problems we have here.

Rlacey111

Nep status
Feb 14, 2021

Sure, I wouldn't say it started with them but its the next step for sure. To be fair though, even though I think Trump is a spoiled idiot, he was one of the most attacked and widely hated presidents ever. I mean they banned him off of social media, so I don't know if you can say people didn't have a problem with him

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Just sayin....
what?

what are you saying, specifically?

all you do is make veiled allusions to some sinister plot with zero specifics and lots of
orthogonal imagery, but provide very little in the way of material or measurable claims

just sayin....

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
[I’d find predictions made 10 or 20 years ago about what’s going to be happening now way more interesting
Anyone got any?]

Read Alvin Toffler's Future Shock written way back in the 60s.
Or... If you want to really geek out, Gene Rodenberry for all you Trekkies.

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
[I’d find predictions made 10 or 20 years ago about what’s going to be happening now way more interesting
Anyone got any?]

Read Alvin Toffler's Future Shock written way back in the 60s.
Or... If you want to really geek out, Gene Rodenberry for all you Trekkies.
I read Future Shock back in the late 70's and now I have it. o_O