How Not to Park Your Boat

hackeysaky

Miki Dora status
Dec 19, 2002
NJ
I'd like to join the classic hull/Ocean Runner party.

Whaler.jpg

The Bimini top drives me a bit nuts (much prefer unobstructed 360 access) but wife and two of my kids are fair skinned so it gets us on the water more often/longer, particularly on hot summer days.

'nuff room to fish with my partner off the bow.

Sienna with bluefish.jpg

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
Surf looks fun. Guessing some dredging is needed at this inlet.

Jeez. Cardinal rule. Learn a lesson from this any of you non-boaters. 1. Go into the waves at a slight angle if at all possible. 2. Don't let a wave overtake you from astearn. Shoots what a dummy.
<<Update>>Read the Youtube comments. Looks likely he was turning to avoid running over the surfers - whiche he would have done if he'd kept going out. Had kids in the boat - only one with life jacket.
Shoots, what an idiot.

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
Jeez. Cardinal rule. Learn a lesson from this any of you non-boaters. 1. Go into the waves at a slight angle if at all possible. 2. Don't let a wave overtake you from astearn. Shoots what a dummy.
<<Update>>Read the Youtube comments. Looks likely he was turning to avoid running over the surfers - whiche he would have done if he'd kept going out. Had kids in the boat - only one with life jacket.
Shoots, what an idiot.
How'd you like to have been out there surfing amidst all this?

LelandCuz

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 21, 2011
Lahaina
Beach Launch Gone Wrong.

In some places is "ski boat" a term for any small motor boat, like how people in western states call sneakers "tennis shoes"? I ask because that's clearly 2 engines on a twin hull. It's a little fishing boat that no one would ever water ski behind.

Reactions: Norm'

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
I always loved watching idiot weekend warriors take bass boats through our breachway in Rhode Island. Never went well. You

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
I'd like to join the classic hull/Ocean Runner party.

View attachment 105730

The Bimini top drives me a bit nuts (much prefer unobstructed 360 access) but wife and two of my kids are fair skinned so it gets us on the water more often/longer, particularly on hot summer days.

'nuff room to fish with my partner off the bow.

View attachment 105732
Nice! That is a killer classic BW. This may be blasphemy but I actually prefer Bimini Tops to T-tops on boats less than 25 feet. They're just in the way on smaller boats. I'll never have a T-top on my 23 Mako and my father's Key West that he keeps in Florida has a Bimini on it. The beauty of a Bimini is you can take it down or take it completely off the boat in seconds. Bimini also gives you better sun protection than a T-top ever will. Lastly, friends don't let friends put those instant T-top in a box contraptions on their boats. If you're gonna get a T-top do it right and it isn't going to be cheap.

twinzerfan

Michael Peterson status
Oct 26, 2006
Floriduh
Nice! That is a killer classic BW. This may be blasphemy but I actually prefer Bimini Tops to T-tops on boats less than 25 feet. They're just in the way on smaller boats. I'll never have a T-top on my 23 Mako and my father's Key West that he keeps in Florida has a Bimini on it. The beauty of a Bimini is you can take it down or take it completely off the boat in seconds. Bimini also gives you better sun protection than a T-top ever will. Lastly, friends don't let friends put those instant T-top in a box contraptions on their boats. If you're gonna get a T-top do it right and it isn't going to be cheap.
where I live in Florida, there’s loads of low bridges that you can’t get unde with a hard top at high tide. Bimini topped boat go whenever they want. I second the shade aspect as well. All our boats in the Bahama have bimini tops as well.

those cheap t top kits are disaster waiting to happen

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
where I live in Florida, there’s loads of low bridges that you can’t get unde with a hard top at high tide. Bimini topped boat go whenever they want. I second the shade aspect as well. All our boats in the Bahama have bimini tops as well.

those cheap t top kits are disaster waiting to happen
I can dig the 'get around the hull' aspect of having a TTop when navigating a fishing rod, but they generallly provide so much less shade than a bimini. Plus of course, the low bridge aspect. We have 7 foot tides here in Charleston regularly, and a few sketchy underpasses when it's real high. I'll keep the bimini.

twinzerfan

Michael Peterson status
Oct 26, 2006
Floriduh
Yeah, fishing with bimini top can be a pain. You can drop it of course, but then you have a chance of tripping over it, lol

i am looking for a 17’ jon boat nowadays. Simple, low maintenance, but definitely will need a top of some kind when not fishing