Is surfing as dangerous as ocean swimming?

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
I think most everybody has had those "lost my board on a giant day, barely made it in through huge shorebreak and currents and washed in and kissed the sand" moments. Anybody that hasn't had one of those moments, needs to have one. It helps you appreciate life a lot more when you escape from the grasp of King Neptune.

Black

OTF status
Jan 1, 2015
UK
These may or may not be dangers but..

I've never split my nose open ocean swimming
I've never broken fingers ocean swimming
I've never bounced off the seabed ocean swimming
I've never received sundry cuts ocean swimming
I've never been hit in the head ocean swimming
I've never shredded my feet on rocks ocean swimming
I've never (and most painful of all) torn a muscle in my leg ocean swimming

If worried about currents or covering ground quickly, wear flippers.

TheEl

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 31, 2010
Surfing at venice breakwater these days is probably on par with being a roman gladiator in terms of danger. :bricks:

I was into doing buoy swims for a bit. There was definitely a 'safety' barrier I crossed in my mind once I got a bit further than the surf lineup. It took a couple swims to get over it. I think it's perfectly safe.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
I used to snorkel around the reefs between Cayucos and Big Sur quite a bit. Tons of cool little nooks and kelp beds to explore in this stretch. Always wondered how many times I was swimming with the landlord and didn't know it.

Haven't seen anyone snorkel this zone in years although I know some still scuba dive around a certain spots in San Simeon and Big Sur.

LelandCuz

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 21, 2011
Lahaina
There's reefs on the north side of Kauai where the current flows so strong in the shallows that you can swim hard and stay in the same spot, over sand and only about 4' deep, and only a few yards from the beach. Couldn't get safer than that.
Baby Beach in Maui's Sprecklesville is popular for that. It's like a water treadmill.

HarryLopez2

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 11, 2020
Loved ocean swimming, the no flip turns make the experience way better. Probably the most nervous swims were out to the Mokes and back. Especially that last stretch going out where the water gets darker blue.:shark:That and the swim from Diamond Head around Black point. Not sure why, but just felt creepier.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I think most everybody has had those "lost my board on a giant day, barely made it in through huge shorebreak and currents and washed in and kissed the sand" moments. Anybody that hasn't had one of those moments, needs to have one. It helps you appreciate life a lot more when you escape from the grasp of King Neptune.
I also think everyone has said the, "Lord, just let me live through this one and I will never ask for anything ever again" prayer while getting caught inside a big one...

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
What about the two wave hold down.......thank god my leash didn't break.......go in and kiss the sand moments?

elcalvo

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2004
NE
Missing swimmer

Coast Guard searching for missing swimmer last seen off Crane’s Beach

The Coast Guard is searching for a missing swimmer who was last seen Friday morning off Crane Beach in Ipswich, MA.
At approximately 9:30 a.m., Ipswich police were dispatched to Crane Beach after park rangers located a backpack and cell phone the beach.
Officers determined that the bag belonged to a 28-year-old Ipswich man and identified a car outside the gate as belonging to him as well.
Police talked with the man's friends, who said he planned to swim to Plum Island. Police believe, based on the location of his car, that the man arrived prior to the park opening at 8 a.m.
The name of the missing man was not released.

Wind is complicating the search efforts and water temperature is about 45 degrees, Ipswich Chief of Police Paul Nikas said.
“We hope to find the individual safe on land somewhere. He could be stranded on a sandbar. There are a lot of sandbars in the Ipswich estuaries. That is what we are hoping for at this time,” Nikas said.
The swim to and from Plum Island is about a mile each way, but “swimming in these conditions is not recommended at all,” Nikas said.
“These waters are dangerous. You make one mistake with water, it is unforgiving,” Nikas said.
Nikas said the man’s family said he was on his high school swim team and a former lifeguard, but he was wearing a bathing suit, not a wetsuit.

First responders from the Ipswich police and fire departments, Massachusetts State Police, as well as U.S. Coast Guard assets including two boats, a helicopter, a plane and the Quincy Police Marine Unit are involved in the search for the man. The Massachusetts Environmental Police also have provided equipment to support the search effort.

Nikas said the search would continue until dark and resume in the morning, if needed.

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Swimming in the Ocean?

Sure!

Always take my 10" blade strapped to my calf though. Often think, what happens if that's where you get "hit" first?

:dancing::drowning::roflmao::poke:
:shark: