Anyone tried a P180??

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
I’m looking at picking up a used P180 to cover me for prone pump and winging...

Got the 120, 140, 210 now.

what’s it like?

steamroller

Michael Peterson status
Dec 23, 2007
48U - Green River, WY
YES!!!...Review please!....i wanted to get one but alex said no...im too fat 242lbs/109kg and ill just break it ...would just be a waste of money but ive seen lighter guys pump it for days

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
Hey Steamroller, I’ll put some time in and let you know.

I took it out for a wing but it was super marginal so I couldn’t launch. Actually had a sh1tty time on my 210 and a 6m wing ...la combo which delivers the goods as low as I want to go. I should’ve gone fishing.

A 60kg mate took it out though and slayed. It looked fast and he said it pumped ridiculously well. Basically in the realm the 140 speedwise but with a huge glide ratio.

Maybe some useful info....I bought it off a DW sup guy who knows what he’s doing and prob weighed about 75-80kg. He said it was too hard to consistently paddle up, but once he did it was airborne till he made a mistake.

Reactions: grendel95 and Hdip

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
Looking forward to your review. I have been having some really low wind attempts lately with 6m wasp and the GL240. Have got up a few times where I was surprised ...but it always ends the same, eventually coming off foil on the turn or in a hole, and then a looooonnnnggg slog back. Low wind winging is a fun novelty, but sometimes more work than fun (unless there's surf to play in).

Anyways, I am treating low wind wing as pump conditioning training ... get on foil, luff the wing, then pump as long as you can. Or point upwind and pump -- pretty incredible how much higher upwind you can go, nearly directly upwind.

Reactions: ghostshaper

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
Looking forward to your review. I have been having some really low wind attempts lately with 6m wasp and the GL240. Have got up a few times where I was surprised ...but it always ends the same, eventually coming off foil on the turn or in a hole, and then a looooonnnnggg slog back. Low wind winging is a fun novelty, but sometimes more work than fun (unless there's surf to play in).

Anyways, I am treating low wind wing as pump conditioning training ... get on foil, luff the wing, then pump as long as you can. Or point upwind and pump -- pretty incredible how much higher upwind you can go, nearly directly upwind.
what's the minimum amount of wind you need w/ your 6m wing? I'm thinking about getting a wing soon.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
To learn I say you need 15+. 20 MPH, would be better. If you have a high volume board, your weight in KG+10 and you know what you're doing you can get up and riding in 10 MPH. The board seems to make a huge difference.

I have not successfully done it so maybe I'm not the best one to answer though haha.

Reactions: ghostshaper

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
With a very floaty very light shortish board and the GL210 my 6m has a bottom end of around 10kts. That isn’t that much fun, I can’t really crank up wind and have to keep bearing away as the wind drops.

12kts-15kts is the butter with my setup. It’ll go alright up to maybe 18 then I’m on the 4m and the smallest foil I can fly.

Feb 10, 2019
anyone know anything about the PNL185? Is that the the NL version of the P180?
really curious to hear your review of the P180. I'm keeping an eye out for a used one just to try it - there is a guy local to me who goes out in the surf on one and pumps around like crazy.

Reactions: Clamsmasher

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
really curious to hear your review of the P180. I'm keeping an eye out for a used one just to try it - there is a guy local to me who goes out in the surf on one and pumps around like crazy.
I think my mate is about to get one so I’ll let you know.

steamroller

Michael Peterson status
Dec 23, 2007
48U - Green River, WY

This too!...i really.want to hear about the PNL185!...thanks

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
I got some wind today...just enough to run the P180. I did a couple of kms in maybe 6 reaches.

Its pretty quick and efficient, I really need more wind to push it to top speed but it was going upwind well at the very bottom end of my 6m‘s range. It felt similar in speed to the 140 which is pretty impressive for a big wing.

Due to the lack of wind I was playing it safe to avoid bobbing around at the mouth of a port with large schools of bait. I did depower and sling into a couple of lumps that run north. It has serious glide and the pumps very well. I’ll have to tweak my rig a bit, I didn’t feel like it was optimal for the P.

Really want to prone this thing.

steamroller

Michael Peterson status
Dec 23, 2007
48U - Green River, WY

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
I am trying not to be juvenile and call this the PeNiLe 185, but now that I've seen it, just can't seem to unsee it. Sorry, but there it is. :poop: :trout:

PS just to add some substance to my dumb joke....lately I have been using the GL240 quite a bit winging, as the winds have been light. It rises with near nothing and very easy to pump. Last night wind came up a bit so I switched back to NL160 ... interesting that my tried-and-true go-go now felt sticky at first, in comparison. But then once up, the turning and liveliness felt amazing. I haven't used the P180, but I bet the effect would be similar.

Last edited:
Reactions: grendel95