Can i start a vegetable and herb garden thread?

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I just mailed an old friend in Seattle some of those seeds I had left over. She'll be planting them this weekend (hopefully).

I'll take some photos of the ones I started in November 2020 and post them later.

Time to start figuring out what to do with all the cabbage....anyone got a good kimchi recipe?
If you have the patience and meticulous cleaning habits, have at it, I think any standard recipe is a good starting point.

I like to throw julienned cabbage into the saute pan after I take my chicken out and cook for 3-5 minutes. Tastes like chinese food and cleans the pan for you too :beer:

Reactions: sussle and Mr Doof

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
If you have the patience and meticulous cleaning habits, have at it, I think any standard recipe is a good starting point.

I like to throw julienned cabbage into the saute pan after I take my chicken out and cook for 3-5 minutes. Tastes like chinese food and cleans the pan for you too :beer:
heh, i made sauerkraut last year, which is stupidly simple, and then never ate it, which is no surprise coz i never it keep it around anyway. i consider it a major triumph if my cabbage plants can beat the cabbage worms to maturity. and yes, diced/sliced cabbage has all kinds of great uses besides, like sauteing, salads, slaw etc etc.

Reactions: grapedrink

sussle

Oct 11, 2009
great thread, love to see all the different ways people grow food. have been a square foot gardener for years. clockwise, this is spinach, pak choi, red romaine, dill, sweet onions, green lettuce, more dill, cabbage, and rainbow chard in the middle

sq ft.jpg

HarryLopez2

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 11, 2020
I just mailed an old friend in Seattle some of those seeds I had left over. She'll be planting them this weekend (hopefully).

I'll take some photos of the ones I started in November 2020 and post them later.

Time to start figuring out what to do with all the cabbage....anyone got a good kimchi recipe?
https://www.maangchi.com/recipe/easy-kimchi

Very similar to other's I have tried. Couple of changes I've made:
- if you can't get salted squid, I've used salted shrimp paste, or just a bit of anchovy paste, or just not used anything salty.
- dried Korean Gochugong pepper flakes were better for me taste wise vs. jarred Gochugong paste.
- while Napa cabbage is called for, have used cucumbers. Leafier/softer is better for fermenting kimchi.
- Eating this fresh, for a few days after, is also so good. Different tastes/textures, but still good.

Reactions: Mr Doof

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA

One of the four cabbages out front:

1618865933417.png

Seemed to have really taken off in the last two/three weeks.

This is the other one out front:

1618867364695.png

I need more yard. :(

Last edited:

SurfFuerteventura

Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
I'll classify this as an herb.
Humboldt Pound Cake, feminized Indica.
The first time in over 30 years planting my own.
Will keep a progress post as things progress.

View attachment 108521
20210427_130433.jpg

You don't have mice, or cats, around?

Even caged, I've lost 5-6 already. Little fookers lop the heads off like, well, like what they in fact are, fresh green sprouts!!!!

:roflmao:

I got 4 autos, the other 16 are regulars (unfeminized).

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
View attachment 108548

You don't have mice, or cats, around?

Even caged, I've lost 5-6 already. Little fookers lop the heads off like, well, like what they in fact are, fresh green sprouts!!!!

:roflmao:

I got 4 autos, the other 16 are regulars (unfeminized).
I hear ya!
This is my second attempt, I germinated 10 about 3 weeks ago from seeds a couple of buddies gave me.
Farkn' pill bugs ate them.
I went to a dispensary for more seeds last week.
I keep these in a cage off the ground in 1 gal pots, once they are big enough I'll transfer to grow bags and cage them.
I'm only going to do a couple. BTW, that 420 soil mix is the bomb.
Good luck on the girls!

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
If you don't need the portability, instead of buying a growbag, see if you can find some bedding or old wool blankets from the local Goodwill that you can repurpose into what is more or less a raised bed. Just need to be a long rectangle that you can stitch* together to form a circle, then fill with soil. Can use any cast-off textile, but stay away from the big rolls of rugs which are often treated.

You end up with something like this:
1619558577784.png

* - Could probably use a bit of wire or coat hanger to "sew" up the ends.

PS
The cabbage leaves are pretty big now...I'm kinda surprised how they have taken off in the last two weeks.

Reactions: grapedrink

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
^ - Where are the baby tomato plants?

If you can find a better place for them to grow, transplant them now, build tomato cage, feed and water, and you'll be set.

Tomatoes like lots of sun and regular deep watering (they have pretty deep roots in the right soil).