Killed my dog today. (NSR)

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Euthanasia always makes me think of BryanLamb.

Thus, "killed".

IMG_20210417_200247_209.jpg

Just going to leave that right there. The End.

The beginning?

It's such a long strange story.

Went surfing one morning way back when. Took my little dog Susi (another rescue, from the pound) with me, and my old green DANIEL'S tanker, which now hangs in the ceiling of PARADISE, the same local surf shop where I bought her on installments... The longboard.

On the way, we saw a white pitbull curled up on the side of the road. Being so close to Majanicho I figured she was from one of the fisherman shacks there, which struck me as strange cause they normally have ankle nippers who clam well, not fighting dogs.

We surfed. Had so much fun. Then on the way home, the white pitbull was in the middle of the road. Trying to get hit. Lunging at the passing cars. When I blocked the road, the VW van coming head on did the same. We blocked the road. She had treats, but a van full of dogs. I took the "problem". Put my little surferette under the longboard, and tokd her to be HYPERsilent. (We have a bond, communicate, even have our own language... it's a long story.) She did as told. I put the pitbull in front. Sitting on the nose of the board. She just seemed psyched to have treats and didn't care about anything else.

Being a holiday, August 5th, Virgen de la Peña, a huge local holiday, everything on the island was closed. I took her to the local police to see if they could read her chip, so I could find her owner. She was in such a horrible state I will spare you the gory details because it would surely put you off humanity for the rest of your days.

They laughed. The local cops thought it was funny that I would bother with what they considered "road kill". It took some serious "encouraging" to get them to even use the chip reader. There wasn't one. But they encouraged me to call the local vet on Monday. I did. Him being our neighbor, he told me to bring her by immediately. As soon as he saw her wounds he said, "this one was left for dead". He assumed, by the cut without stitching on her side and badly healed, infected partially, that they'd ripped her pups from her. Her nipples were infected as well, from lactation without puppies to suckle.

He told me to take her home, despite me pleading to put her out of her misery right there. Two days he said... If she survives, bring her back and we'll treat her. She did.

That was ten years ago...

IMG_20210417_192713_211.jpgIMG_20210417_192713_252.jpgIMG_20210417_195755_604.jpgIMG_20210417_200247_177.jpgIMG_20210417_200247_166.jpgIMG_20210417_195755_708.jpgIMG_20210417_195755_612.jpgIMG_20210417_195755_686.jpg

Attachments

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
A big part of my soul has died today.

Despite the 3 dogs and 2 cats left, the house seems empty.

She's been such a huge parr of my life for the past ten years.

Even the neighbor, who's little ankle nipper was the first of her many "grabs" is balling his eyes out crying over this one.

She was one of the few success stories that make life worth living.

I will not ever again tell the stories of her abuse. I researched that too. I will only honor her from her birth, when I found her, to her death.

Screenshot_2021-04-17_191712.jpg