Is Kanoa Igarishi the most uninspiring surfer in WSL history?

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
I have no awareness of any of the people you're referring to. Most likely, the surfshop owner (Larry Beck (?)) bought the boards. So, I guess we rode more for the shop then. It was a long time ago. We were kids. Maybe try to calm down a little. This is not a zero sum situation.

Last edited:

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
I could think of at least a dozen more uninspiring them Kanoa. Conner Coffin, for example, one of the most boring surfers to ever be on tour. I'd rather watch freaking Alex Ribeiro than another of Conner's turns.
This isn’t the first time I’ve thought you seem like a bit of an idiot.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
I have no awareness of any of the people you're referring to. Most likely, the surfshop owner (Larry Boehne (?)) bought the boards. So, I guess we rode more for the shop then. It was a long time ago. We were kids. Maybe try to calm down a little. This is not a zero sum situation.
Those are the people that worked for RJ, a few of them anyway. I’m still in contact with Ricky, they had to sell the place they had in Punta Mita for so long, couldn’t get down here, kids and grandkids weren’t using it... getting old. They’re out on the Ortega’s living off the grid.

I thought maybe we knew more of the same people, sorry if you didn’t take it in the spirt it was intended. I knew a Steve Boehne in HB, got boards from him early 70’s. Same guy? Probably not, you were a gulf coaster back then right?

One thing I learned hanging around the shop is that I have absolutely no talent, skill, whatever, in the design and construction of surfboards. I never made it past rudimentary ding repair, stuck some broken boards back together, you’ve been here, necessity’s the mother of invention, if not a great motivator.

45DA0762-3C95-4009-B636-073C49C000BD.jpeg
Mickey M, Billy, and Terry Martin on break outside the business end of the business. Check the knees.

Surf is booming here, you should be in Baja.

Aloha

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
I have no awareness of any of the people you're referring to. Most likely, the surfshop owner (Larry Beck (?)) bought the boards. So, I guess we rode more for the shop then. It was a long time ago. We were kids. Maybe try to calm down a little. This is not a zero sum situation.
....and the walk back.:roflmao:

sponge

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site
Yup. I knew Ricky James. Remember well one evening with Ricky and a few hundred more, hooting and drinking in the middle of the street in Hermosa when the U S of A landed on the moon.
Kenny Tilton, Larry Felker (RIP) Donald Takayama (RIP), etc were making $15.00 to $20.00 shaping per board with Jacobs surfboards in 1960. Good $$$ then I suppose when I was washing dishes for .75 cents an hour at the Hibachi Restaurant in Manhattan Beach and all the food I could cook and eat.
Kenny Tilton is Makani MacDonald's father. Rumor has it that Kenny surfed Teahupo'o in the 70s. Makani is one of the most stylish surfers I know personally. Good shaper too.

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
....and the walk back.:roflmao:
Not a walk back at all. I got free surfboards from Rick James surfboards, not from any other company. El Ogro said that Rick James never gave away any free surfboards, so I surmised that perhaps the shop owner bought them and gave them to us.

corndog

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2004
Lived, The Dream. Never got a check.
Shorts, that eventually ripped out. Mahalo Duke Boyd and HangTen Surf Wear for being there.
Paid for my surfboards (Dewey Weber & etc)
Will be 75 in a few weeks. 60 years, in the ocean. Dusty trophies, six surfboards, 2 SUP's and a few paddles, pair of swim fins. Not much, in one's life after dedicating yourself to a "lifestyle".
These "young guns" hopefully, will have something to fall back on or they'll be sleeping under the 405 taking selfies and trying for a Go Fund Me page.
I remember finding some of our original Hang Ten stuff in our warehouse, WHAT A HOOT. I contacted him in town and sent to a bunch of the tri fold wallets. Bunch here on the erBB got some also. Kanoa was a fixture at Blackies for years, one cool cat. Kio Inagak - AKA The Yellow Rat also gave him some great pointers.

Reactions: PPK96754

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
This isn’t the first time I’ve thought you seem like a bit of an idiot.

Well what you think of me ain't really my business. But if you wanna know my opinion, that was one idiot comment you just made.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Kanoa is not the most uninspiring surfer in WSL history. That title goes to Caroline Marks. More mechanical than Damien Hardman and stranger arm motions than Gary Elkerton. Every quirky turn she does looks like she rehearsed it in front of a mirror 10,000 times. Zero flow and I think in her mind she's thinking "This turn goes here" before she pulls the trigger to do anything. All too rehearsed. Is that too harsh for my fellow east coast surfer? I know that was blasphemy.

• Haha
Reactions: PPK96754

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Kanoa is not the most uninspiring surfer in WSL history. That title goes to Caroline Marks. More mechanical than Damien Hardman and stranger arm motions than Gary Elkerton. Every quirky turn she does looks like she rehearsed it in front of a mirror 10,000 times. Zero flow and I think in her mind she's thinking "This turn goes here" before she pulls the trigger to do anything. All too rehearsed. Is that too harsh for my fellow east coast surfer? I know that was blasphemy.
All true, but she is female and surfs better than either of us.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Have pro surfing styles gotten more monotonous as boards have become better/ easier to surf?

You could tell Andy, Kelly, Mick, Parko, Taj, etc apart.

kane

Michael Peterson status
Sep 30, 2003
When I seen him surfing he wasn't even better than the local rippers. Cola bros got some bombs this winter in Hawaii.

• Haha
Reactions: LifeOnMars