Surfer dies at Rincon following collision with another surfer...

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Learning how to do proper cut backs and airs is a survival skill. As soon as you throw massive spray and nearly take someones head off, everyone gets out of your way. Back paddlers deserve to get burned. Problem is they are usually douchey kids with their day who is a cop protecting them. If you are on a wavestorm or any kind of foamy, you do not have any priority ever. Just keep your mouth shut or it will be shut for you. Sharpen the nose of your short board to ensure anyone who sits beneath you get speared and remembers it. Welcome back to the 90s.
Hell yeah! Although, I got head high and pretty clean Rincon on a Friday in 2018, and got a ton of waves. Crowd was minimal even with the morning wind and swell. Don’t worry, near-full herd immunity will occur someday hopefully soonish , and mankind’s ability to simply forget even the weirdest of times will kick in, and lot of those crowds may ease a touch as people give up on surfing when called back to some sort of office time. And its gonna be even more wildly Expensive to live within an hour of the coast. But even still, im looking and making moves abroad for the same reasons. Its frickin cold, crowded and/or flat here, Nica will play a big role in my second half

Last edited:

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
instead was laser focused on me instead of where he was going and turned 90 degrees that put him on a trajectory directly at me.
THIS is what pisses me OFF~ some goons try and buzz to be cool guy..or others do the "drunk looking at the cop flashlight" thing and zone in on the guy paddling instead of the line.....FUG! do all you can and yet idiots STILL find a way into a wreck. paddles traight for the foam? hey...look! puto is somehow slowing his paddling and trying to fade! hey....im paddling full on sideways to give the wavestorm the face....why can't he take his eyes off me and why is he not trying to get to his feet!?

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
People are just idiots and lack the experience and or the skill and do stupid sh!t. True in all manner of life. how Many lives are claimed by automobiles every year? A lack of “present moment awareness” as my father would say. The war hero genius anarco-libertarian father. He called a lot of things right about modern humanity

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
So can we all agree

1) You paddle for the whitewater, not the shoulder. Always. (unless you are completely out of the rider's way)
2) Everyone gets caught in the wrong spot as a paddler sometimes, that's why the rider shouldn't be running anyone over if he can avoid it, often he can but sometimes he can't
3) If the rider is in the barrel he has no responsibility toward the paddler. Way too complicated.
4) If you get in the way of the rider you apologize.

If for some reason you can't comply with the above at said spot then you shouldn't be out there.

Maybe signage like you sometimes see in other countries would help with this?

Buuuuuut I guess we don't want to hurt anyone's feelings. Surfing is now about being diverse and inclusive.:giggle:

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I don't think it's about not wanting to hurt feelings.

I think when the crowd gets to a certain size you just loose any chance of having order.

Reactions: Boneroni

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
I’ve done me some grouse shooting.sporty, and delicious
I don’t doubt it. I’ll pm you some iguana recipes for your new home away from home. Tell the yoga people it’s like chicken.

Back to the chase, in no specific order, I blame:
78F6CAC9-2880-4D0D-B00F-F5B2FCD5CDF7.jpeg
A292CE1D-B9AD-4ED2-988B-11C97833A9E0.jpeg
What a fvckin character
E4BA393F-1597-492F-AF03-E2FDB12AAC3B.jpeg
83D884F0-98EC-4EC4-9094-2D77CCDC4B9B.jpeg
Ed’s market one block up, other side of the street. Ed’s bread and a chocolate milk, 25 cents.

And for OT
91B5E470-9C68-4510-9449-4E4EC8AECB77.jpeg

Attachments

Apr 6, 2015
Enjoyed the rants, but any new news on how this poor fellow died? Story is baffling - the other guy got a fin to the head, but the rider died? How? Clearly he was a long boarder, so maybe his own board hit him somehow? He's not likely to have hit his head on a rock at Rincon, unless it was tiny.

Judging by the pics he wasn't an adult learner. Left a family and friends. Tragic and bizarre.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
So can we all agree

1) You paddle for the whitewater, not the shoulder. Always. (unless you are completely out of the rider's way)
2) Everyone gets caught in the wrong spot as a paddler sometimes, that's why the rider shouldn't be running anyone over if he can avoid it, often he can but sometimes he can't
3) If the rider is in the barrel he has no responsibility toward the paddler. Way too complicated.
4) If you get in the way of the rider you apologize.

If for some reason you can't comply with the above at said spot then you shouldn't be out there.

Maybe signage like you sometimes see in other countries would help with this?

Buuuuuut I guess we don't want to hurt anyone's feelings. Surfing is now about being diverse and inclusive.:giggle:
They have a sign like that at the top of the steps at The Hook in Santa Cruz, and that place is a total shitshow just like Rincon.

Reactions: Ifallalot

bonzer5fin

Duke status
May 9, 2006
your mom
many stories about how the accident happened. the end result is a family man, a surfer, is dead. think about that. it could have been any one of us. shut the fvck up with your "code" or your "right" way of surfing. this was a fluke and it's getting so bad out at easy to ride spots, and even here, that this is a very possible outcome for any of us who surf in california. RIP to a fellow surfer. that's it.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
many stories about how the accident happened. the end result is a family man, a surfer, is dead. think about that. it could have been any one of us. shut the fvvk up with your "code" or your "right" way of surfing.
I think it's helpful to have an after action report after things like this - a "post mortem" if you will.
this was a fluke and it's getting so bad out at easy to ride spots, and even here, that this is a very possible outcome for any of us who surf in california.
Not me. When I surf, I wear my GATH surf helmet, a mouthpiece, and my COVID mask. It looks a little sumthin like this:
1615295082649.png
Anyone else remember that thread from a couple of years ago that steamroller made, posted a picture of himself running down someone who wasn't paddling for the shoulder hard enough?
If you see steamroller coming for you, give him a thumbs up and remember to duck dive. Obviously this means you can't ride a mid-length.

• Wow
Reactions: casa_mugrienta

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
many stories about how the accident happened. the end result is a family man, a surfer, is dead. think about that. it could have been any one of us. shut the fvvk up with your "code" or your "right" way of surfing. this was a fluke and it's getting so bad out at easy to ride spots, and even here, that this is a very possible outcome for any of us who surf in california. RIP to a fellow surfer. that's it.
THIS

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
many stories about how the accident happened. the end result is a family man, a surfer, is dead. think about that. it could have been any one of us. shut the fvvk up with your "code" or your "right" way of surfing. this was a fluke and it's getting so bad out at easy to ride spots, and even here, that this is a very possible outcome for any of us who surf in california. RIP to a fellow surfer. that's it.
Good point.

But we are all still here and discussions like this (hopefully) help prevent more of these incidents.

Reactions: flyinraptr