Surfer dies at Rincon following collision with another surfer...

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
100% this. The cool part is ive never went for a trail run or rock climb and came home in a bad mood. That was becoming the the norm with surfing
I rode dirt bikes for a long time. Loved fixing and tinkering with them ever since my dad rescued an old bike from the dump for me when I was 12. I never did have a bad ride where I was unhappy and more pissed after riding. No competing for resources. Just find some open OHV land and rip the throttle open.

Maybe I'll revisit the hobby. Riding with my kids would be cool.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I guess, It seems unlikely that a light shortboard can do that kind of damage. He also could have hit head on bottom?
I’ve broken my nose, ear drum and have knocked unconscious by my own (short) boards. Friend of mine shattered his jaw duck diving a shortboard.

• Wow
Reactions: surfwhere
Dec 17, 2019
Kind of curious, why not move to a place that is less crowded surf wise if you and your family are willing to move such distance? Was cost of living the only driving force? I guess I’m just a bit perplexed at Tennessee being the choice, although Nashville is a fun city. There’s a bunch more places on my list that are cheaper before I’d even consider TN though.
i thought long and hard about another coastal town outside of ca but wasnt really finding anything that checked all or most the boxes i had. cost of living was a big force but not all. we wanted somewhere with cool outdoorsy stuff but also near a big city as im really into sports,concerts,etc you get in a big city. pretty much narrowed it down to charlotte and nashville, came out to nash first to check it out and loved it. schools in our area are top notch(got young kids),cost of living is great, people are really friendly, lots of stuff to do, area is beautiful, weather isnt horrible. it made me feel like i made a good decision when i read an article a month ago that tenn was number 1 state people were moving to. kinda long winded but that pretty much sums it up

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
it's weird. as bitter as I am, if I spend 3 days away from the coast the first thing I want to do is get in the water when I get back.

i guess it's about how much you prioritize surfing and actually truly love it.

Same.

When I busted my eardrum I was out 9 months, was told there was a good chance I wouldn't surf again. The saltwater baptism when I could finally surf again left me ecstatic.

Even a month out of the water gives me a dopamine rush getting back in, even if it sucks.

One thing is it seems there's a law of diminishing returns with surfing, too much surfing and you start surfing poorly and the sessions go sucky. A certain place in SD that's never good has been really good over the past month or so and I've been surfing pretty much 4 days a week and I'm at that point right now. Prob need two weeks off, generally come back surfing way better.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I’ve broken my nose, ear drum and have knocked unconscious by my own (short) boards. Friend of mine shattered his jaw duck diving a shortboard.
Dislocated my jaw last winter, board hit me hard enough to split the length of (heavily chiseled) jaw line. Popped up in a pool of red. My face took on the appearance of elephant man and I was basically sucking food through a straw for 3 weeks. I got off lucky I cannot imagine shattering the thing.

Dec 17, 2019
This. Bunch of low T dadbods bitching about crowds and justifying their lack of water time. They need to step up their protein intake, squat and deadlift numbers, and get their T levels up so they get that fire in their belly back that got them in the water in their teens and twenties.

If not, beat it kooks
are you what they would consider an 'internet tough guy'?

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
Bunch of bitter old grumps up in here.

Good riddance. This winter has been one of the funnest I’ve ever had surf wise.

RIP to subject of this thread.

Reason #67 why I don’t surf Rincon.
Reason #68 why I don't surf Rincon. It was good as it gets with hardly anyone on it back in the early 80's. Mid-week special back then trading waves with Davey Smith at rivermouth. Wut-the-fuk happened??
Glad to have been able to score it when it was still fun.