*** Official Backpacking Thread ***

Iceman

Phil Edwards status
Apr 1, 2002
NorCenCal
Too old to switch to "shoes". I've got three pairs of Salomon Quest 4D 3 GTX boots, two pairs that I bought on sale & still in the box's.
Heavy?? Yes, to the "new breed" of backpackers though I do understand the point of going "light."
Also have a "heavy" 4# Osprey Atmos 65 backpack that I also got on sale, brand new. Three MSR Whisperlight stoves, Whisperlight, Whisperlight International and WL Universal. Overkill? Probably so. And two Fancee Feast alcohol stoves and a Solo Light, wood burner stove.
Just need to get my shots and be able to travel hopefully this year. Dessert time would be neat. A run up the coast to Washington would be epic. Lots to choose from. Got to consolidate my camping gear. Need to get out before I'm using a phuggin Walker ~
I've had the same boots for 6+ years. Never given me blisters and kept my feet pretty damn dry even when trekking through some snow. I like the higher boots just for the sake of protecting my ankles and not getting as much debris inside. These boots are relatively light anyway so they don't feel like overkill. I've had heavier ones in the past that are way too stiff and heavy - darn tough but a pain to walk in and not as comfy.

Let's go to the desert!

Icu812

Nep status
Jun 23, 2013
WEST of 101
When I was 13 we drove up to Berkeley and went to Ski Hut for backpacking gear and climbing gear (Chouinard carabiners were the best). Got the ankle-high Pivetta suede outer boots, best boots I ever had. I have Asolos now and they're pretty good too. They're sorta mid-high tops but they're light and I like a little protection for my ankles.

TheEl

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 31, 2010
I upgraded my bag last year. Picked up a western mountaineering summerlite. Really like it so far. Way lighter than my previous bag and just as warm.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I wouldn't zenbivy for backpacking; too heavy

they are part of a rash of companies that have middling products that are almost
ultralight and well-marketed, but that you'll also wind up replacing in pretty short
order if you're serious about dialing in your kit

for car camping, I'd look at the fancy exped self-inflating mattresses

I've considered a cot, too, but with a cot, you loose a lot of heat from below

the exped DeepSleep or MegaMat are straight luxury

Reactions: Aruka

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
I picked a shape & got a 3 season bag, and a not so cold rated one for summer warm nights so I don't wake up dripping in sweat (both "long" versions), and wear full body Smartwool 250s if it's cold and 150s if it isn't. I think picking the shape (like afoaf noted about mummy bags) is most important.There's a million of them and a million articles telling you to buy this one and that one, pros/cons, down vs synth so beware o' paralysis of analysis. Ask yourself how you like to sleep (or if you really GAF about it that much) and then pick one.

Last edited:

littlewave

Michael Peterson status
Nov 15, 2009
Orange County
I wouldn't zenbivy for backpacking; too heavy

they are part of a rash of companies that have middling products that are almost
ultralight and well-marketed, but that you'll also wind up replacing in pretty short
order if you're serious about dialing in your kit

for car camping, I'd look at the fancy exped self-inflating mattresses

I've considered a cot, too, but with a cot, you loose a lot of heat from below

the exped DeepSleep or MegaMat are straight luxury
UL snob alert!

• Love
Reactions: afoaf

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Hate to DOX, but it turns out afoaf is Ray Jardine.
1614878279139.png

I laugh at UL guys when they’re freezing their asses off, eating sh!t food and being eaten alive by mosquitoes.
I have definitely been cold before.

kids are gone for over a week in April. I'm thinking of Grand Canyon or maybe AZT....or portions of Hayduke

I *think* you could do a Zion traverse at that time of year, but it would be cold and it's only 50 miles total
distance which is kind of short.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
kids are gone for over a week in April. I'm thinking of Grand Canyon or maybe AZT....or portions of Hayduke
I wouldn't mind trying this. Doing Mt. Wilson (14 miles, 4200 foot climb) a couple times would be a good prep. Some day...if my body doesn't fall apart first.

Reactions: afoaf

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
the trip I just did in los padres was good. Grand Canyon is def on the list.

I'm looking for places without permit pressure with off-trail routes.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
the trip I just did in los padres was good. Grand Canyon is def on the list.

I'm looking for places without permit pressure with off-trail routes.
You should try Machu Pichu via the Inca Trail. It will blow your mind.

View attachment 105980

I have definitely been cold before.

I *think* you could do a Zion traverse at that time of year, but it would be cold and it's only 50 miles total
distance which is kind of short.
I recommend the AZT Grand Canyon trip. I did Sunflower (NE of Phoenix) to Flagstaff over two weeks in April then southbound Utah to Flagstaff through the GC over a couple of weeks in Oct. Lots of elk, bison on the Northside of the canyon, not really a lot of desert but ponderosa pine forest and being a AZT "thru hiker" is about the only way to do the GC without getting permits a year ahead of time. THAT Brewery in Pine is only a 1/4 mile from the trail and a great stop along with plenty of beer in Flagstaff. "I'm only hiking to my next beer. Sometimes it takes 4 hours, sometimes 4 days."

Reactions: PPK96754