*** Official Backpacking Thread ***

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Que es eso?
Literally covered by a blanket of stomach. Getcha a good one and they’ll carry the heavy stuff.

I think the ultimate trekking experience would be the Ho Chi Minh trail. Like the NVA did it. Your uncle ho sandles, AK, pushing a bicycle loaded up with mortar shells. Fish sauce and rice. Good weed. Throw in the B52 bombings for nighttime entertainment.

• Love
Reactions: crustBrother

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
Dig poles. Not sure what I did without them.

Not against hiking shoes or hiking in running shoes, seems like it has been a thing for a while now and I have have owned several pairs over the years I have used for day hiking. I have a super lightweight waterproof pair of Keen boots. Soft out of the box and have never gotten one blister. For that reason alone I am not switching to any new shoe until they are done. Blisters suck. Also every time I go backpacking we seem to get at least one day of weather and I am a fair-weather backpacker who waits for the good weather and bugs to chill. If I did switch to a trail shoe would have to be gortex or some other waterproof liner.

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
Too old to switch to "shoes". I've got three pairs of Salomon Quest 4D 3 GTX boots, two pairs that I bought on sale & still in the box's.
Heavy?? Yes, to the "new breed" of backpackers though I do understand the point of going "light."
Also have a "heavy" 4# Osprey Atmos 65 backpack that I also got on sale, brand new. Three MSR Whisperlight stoves, Whisperlight, Whisperlight International and WL Universal. Overkill? Probably so. And two Fancee Feast alcohol stoves and a Solo Light, wood burner stove.
Just need to get my shots and be able to travel hopefully this year. Dessert time would be neat. A run up the coast to Washington would be epic. Lots to choose from. Got to consolidate my camping gear. Need to get out before I'm using a phuggin Walker ~

Last edited:

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
Literally covered by a blanket of stomach. Getcha a good one and they’ll carry the heavy stuff.

I think the ultimate trekking experience would be the Ho Chi Minh trail. Like the NVA did it. Your uncle ho sandles, AK, pushing a bicycle loaded up with mortar shells. Fish sauce and rice. Good weed. Throw in the B52 bombings for nighttime entertainment.
Deb's niece is a Teacher in Viet Nam. Tight getting into the country right now. Food for thought though. Deb and I had planned to go until Covid jumped up and the time of year was way to hot. "Come visit, Uncle Pete."

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
I have a super lightweight waterproof pair of Keen boots. Soft out of the box and have never gotten one blister.
I stomped through and Volcano Meadow in sometimes knee deep marsh for hours, so my Keen boots (and socks) were saturated. Hiked for 2 more days with wet boots and socks and I had blisters that didn't really hurt but were more like callouses. I was still peeling off big chunks of dead white skin like 6 weeks later. Circled area is where I emerged from those trees trying to follow the creek to get to Volcano Falls, and want to revisit. That little zone was large black volcanic rocks littering still clear water with super white sand and golden trout slowly patrolling around like little sharks.

vm.jpg

San Gabriel Valley local

Michael Peterson status
Nov 14, 2002
San Gabriel Valley, CA
and I also ordered a custom dimma bivy from Borah to try out for trips with bugs/wind
and cowboy camping options when I don't need to pitch the tent...but that still seems
a bit out of reach for me as I like the feeling of having something "over" me
I've been meaning to order a custom Borah bivy with mostly mesh but some splash protection but can't make up my mind on the details. I have a Lunar Solo that I've been wanting to use, haven't set it up in my backyard yet and didn't want to try to pitch it for the first time on my recent overnight; I'm thinking it will be my go to.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Deb's niece is a Teacher in Viet Nam. Tight getting into the country right now. Food for thought though. Deb and I had planned to go until Covid jumped up and the time of year was way to hot. "Come visit, Uncle Pete."
I been 4 times. I fucking love it.

There is surf there too.

If you go to the house of someone in Vietnam for lunch they will try to drink you under the table. Constantly pouring beer in your glass.

As I stumbled onto the back of my friend's scooter after some serious lunch drinking, I said, I'm so glad a took a Ritalin before I wouldn't have been able to keep up.

I'll probably go next winter break.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I've been meaning to order a custom Borah bivy with mostly mesh but some splash protection but can't make up my mind on the details. I have a Lunar Solo that I've been wanting to use, haven't set it up in my backyard yet and didn't want to try to pitch it for the first time on my recent overnight; I'm thinking it will be my go to.
I really like the Six Moon Designs stuff

I have a Deschuttes

I want one of these:

all of his stuff is :chefskiss:

I ordered a bivy with DCF bottom that wraps up over footbox and up sides a little
for bathtub effect...side panels are argon for breathability but better windproofness,
and a top made from bug netting. it is extra long, extra wide, and has a U-shaped zip
so it flops open and will work for front or side entry tent/tarp setups

I can tie it up off my face via interior loops on a couple of my tarps

Last edited:
Too old to switch to "shoes". I've got three pairs of Salomon Quest 4D 3 GTX boots, two pairs that I bought on sale & still in the box's.
Heavy?? Yes, to the "new breed" of backpackers though I do understand the point of going "light."
Also have a "heavy" 4# Osprey Atmos 65 backpack that I also got on sale, brand new. Three MSR Whisperlight stoves, Whisperlight, Whisperlight International and WL Universal. Overkill? Probably so. And two Fancee Feast alcohol stoves and a Solo Light, wood burner stove.
Just need to get my shots and be able to travel hopefully this year. Dessert time would be neat. A run up the coast to Washington would be epic. Lots to choose from. Got to consolidate my camping gear. Need to get out before I'm using a phuggin Walker ~
I hear that! Every time I'm out for a hike or a run or just getting out of my truck and I feel a little tweak in my knees and I worry "are my backpacking days over?" Need to go now

• Love
Reactions: PPK96754
There is hope. I did 6 weeks on the AT, started in Harper's Ferry W.Va. and headed south. I started meeting thru hikers heading north. Met "Pappy" 87 years old, said he first did the AT in 1957, the year he turned 50 he did the CDT to complete the "triple crown" of AT, PCT, and the CDT. Did the AT again at 60, 70 and 80. Said he might not make it to 90 so he decided to go now at 87!

Reactions: afoaf and TheEl

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
There is hope. I did 6 weeks on the AT, started in Harper's Ferry W.Va. and headed south. I started meeting thru hikers heading north. Met "Pappy" 87 years old, said he first did the AT in 1957, the year he turned 50 he did the CDT to complete the "triple crown" of AT, PCT, and the CDT. Did the AT again at 60, 70 and 80. Said he might not make it to 90 so he decided to go now at 87!
I've been following Dixie and Darwin on YouTube who are both Triple Crowners. Crazy weather conditions that they go through. The daily up's and down's that all the thru-hikers have to tend to for themselves. I just want to visit some of the US of A's National Parks before I get too old. We have a beautiful Country that I want to see. Good on Ya, all3 for getting out there on the AT! :applause2:

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
I've been following Dixie and Darwin on YouTube who are both Triple Crowners. Crazy weather conditions that they go through. The daily up's and down's that all the thru-hikers have to tend to for themselves. I just want to visit some of the US of A's National Parks before I get too old. We have a beautiful Country that I want to see. Good on Ya, all3 for getting out there on the AT! :applause2:
Start in California. We have 9 national parks, the most of any state. Then hop to Oregon which has 5 NP, and then Washington which has 3 NP. All worth seeing in this lifetime.

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
Start in California. We have 9 national parks, the most of any state. Then hop to Oregon which has 5 NP, and then Washington which has 3 NP. All worth seeing in this lifetime.
"The Drive" up the West Coast to Vancouver has always been on my bucket list for years. Another is Utah, Idaho, Colorado and New Mexico. I love the dessert, the wide expanse and the stark contrast of it all.
Hopefully, after I get my shots, deal with my tasks at hand at home, perhaps Covid has calmed down and I'll be able to get on a plane, and do a little road trip somewhere.
Cheers! :waving:

Reactions: Aruka

HarryLopez2

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 11, 2020
I see mostly old people using poles
Is that because they’re old and making up for it with poles
Or because they’re wise and don’t give a f what they look like

Why do people use poles? Maybe o don’t know what I’m missing
For snowshoeing, it helps a lot.

HarryLopez2

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 11, 2020
"The Drive" up the West Coast to Vancouver has always been on my bucket list for years. Another is Utah, Idaho, Colorado and New Mexico. I love the dessert, the wide expanse and the stark contrast of it all.
Hopefully, after I get my shots, deal with my tasks at hand at home, perhaps Covid has calmed down and I'll be able to get on a plane, and do a little road trip somewhere.
Cheers! :waving:
Come through Central Oregon and the beers are on me!

Reactions: Aruka and PPK96754

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Shopping for a new sleeping bag for backpacking. I've not bought a new sleeping bag in over a decade and the choices now are mind blowing. Dare I say, too many choices? :drowning:

Don't know if I have many more snow camping trips in me these days, so will probably stick with 3-season rating for my new backpacking gear. But a return to Iceland lingers strong. Any feedback on newer sleeping bags?

Always feels like I spend way too many hours researching buys, but most of my stuff ends up lasting me a decade or more

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Shopping for a new sleeping bag for backpacking. I've not bought a new sleeping bag in over a decade and the choices now are mind blowing. Dare I say, too many choices? :drowning:

Don't know if I have many more snow camping trips in me these days, so will probably stick with 3-season rating for my new backpacking gear. But a return to Iceland lingers strong. Any feedback on newer sleeping bags?

Always feels like I spend way too many hours researching buys, but most of my stuff ends up lasting me a decade or more

I went to a quilt...

your universe just expanded logarithmically

the logic is that the down that you sleep on is compressed and therefore no longer insulating

(down insulates via air pockets created by the loft)

quilts also eliminate zippers and other heavy hardware

I have a 10` quilt with a false bottom on the way that is 20oz total weight

I am a side and stomach sleeper and moves around a lot...I cannot deal with mummy bags

• Wow
Reactions: Icu812 and r32