Malcom Campbell Alpha Omega Twin ride report....UPDATE!

Oct 21, 2020
Curious on sizing. I’m looking at a 5’8” x 19 7/8 x 2 5/8 in a shop. Looks like a big board. Would this fit better in a short board quiver or is it a one board quiver/ hybrid shorty? Possibly have it entirely wrong and it just feels like a twin. I have new ci fish in 5’6” for comparison and I’m a light weight, 5’6” and 140lbs. I’m guessing the 5’4” described in another post might be a closer fit for me and I should order custom. Thanks for the review

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Curious on sizing. I’m looking at a 5’8” x 19 7/8 x 2 5/8 in a shop. Looks like a big board. Would this fit better in a short board quiver or is it a one board quiver/ hybrid shorty? Possibly have it entirely wrong and it just feels like a twin. I have new ci fish in 5’6” for comparison and I’m a light weight, 5’6” and 140lbs. I’m guessing the 5’4” described in another post might be a closer fit for me and I should order custom. Thanks for the review
Well look at the dims on mine and I’m 195 lbs.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
MC likes thick rails and volume on retro boards ie: AO, Russ Short, Bumblebee, etc...I am 5'8" 170# my custom AO is 5'8" 19 5" 2 375" has good float and catches waves fairly easy but does not grovel.well under waist unless wave has some power.

thekadvang

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 29, 2013
i think we're central
that would be huge for you. i weigh 155 and am the rider of the 5'4" mentioned above and it feels great for me. good paddler for such a small board and catches waves fine

IMO this could be a "one board quiver" if you surf good/clean waves all the time. not great in chop/bad waves

Reactions: rowjimmytour

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Duffy and anyone else with experience.

have you found an upper limit to these boards and what They can handle? When getting fin set up, did Campbell recommend glass ons or was that not a topic that came up?
I believe the limit is what you are comfortable in on a hpsb and glass ons never came up I said I wanted fcs fusion after confirming no past issues with AO and fcs. If you get glass on channels flow outside of fin closer with boxes little different path.

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
Nice. I ride twins in just about anything I’ll surf my HPSB in. I’m pretty set on ordering one in the next few weeks. Although it looks like they’re booked up as of mid January so hopefully that changes.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Nice. I ride twins in just about anything I’ll surf my HPSB in. I’m pretty set on ordering one in the next few weeks. Although it looks like they’re booked up as of mid January so hopefully that changes.
The blank and glassing is the hold up between GWS and MC they crank out the shape fast. One thing to be mindful is MC leaves some foam on rail.

Reactions: manbearpig

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
I’m definitely leaning toward more volume these days. I figure I’ll try to reach out in a few weeks regardless. Hopefully get on the next batch when they start up again if I get in early.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Definitely swallow tail, maybe a bump if they recommend.
Ewing really loosens the tail or a least it did on my 8' bonzer 5 fin pintail log. I specially appreciate the extra tail with out bump on my AO slippery soap and reason why I went my height for extra rail. The AO I found has small sweet spot for back foot right over twin cluster with fins around 11"from tail. I also had a 7'1" MC semi gun 5 fin bonzer swallow tail with pulled in tail and had nice grip in wave face making turn.

Reactions: manbearpig

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Right on. Maybe I’ll skip the bump. I want this to be more of an upper end twin so hold will be a good thing.
Do you like the MR style template or more modern upright small tip twin fins with your current pin tail twin? I am old and like the carve glide of MR template and AO comes with TA twin set in glass which imo works great.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Right on. Maybe I’ll skip the bump. I want this to be more of an upper end twin so hold will be a good thing.
Response to all your questions...

I “sized” mine by looking at it at the shop and thinking “this will probably work” and bought it.

The size I got works just fine.

Ive ridden it up to head and half down the line barreling point break and so far I’ve found the bigger it gets the better the board goes

I ordered one for bigger surf, 6’4 x 20 3/4 x 2 11/16 round tail with wing. I sized that because the only “upper limit” I ran into with my 5’10 was paddle power.

I got the wings because the 5’10 has them.

5’10 came with glass on fins.
6’4 ordered with glass on fins.

TA twins.

GWS said water flows better with the combo of bottom contours and glass on fins and that the bottom is modified a little for removable fins.

Being that the 5’10 has glass ons I wanted the 6’4 to match it.

My 6’4 is in the black hole of the glass shop currently.

I like the bump. I think it helps with bite.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Response to all your questions...

I “sized” mine by looking at it at the shop and thinking “this will probably work” and bought it.

The size I got works just fine.

Ive ridden it up to head and half down the line barreling point break and so far I’ve found the bigger it gets the better the board goes

I ordered one for bigger surf, 6’4 x 20 3/4 x 2 11/16 round tail with wing. I sized that because the only “upper limit” I ran into with my 5’10 was paddle power.

I got the wings because the 5’10 has them.

5’10 came with glass on fins.
6’4 ordered with glass on fins.

TA twins.

GWS said water flows better with the combo of bottom contours and glass on fins and that the bottom is modified a little for removable fins.

Being that the 5’10 has glass ons I wanted the 6’4 to match it.

My 6’4 is in the black hole of the glass shop currently.

I like the bump. I think it helps with bite.
Duffy do you have wings or bumps or full on ewing with fluted channel?