Dave Prodan (WSL Podcast) interviewing Pam Burridge is everything that is wrong with the WSL

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
It's really comical.

DP - could you make an interview anymore vanilla?

So fckin' boring.

Maybe about 0.5% of surfers worldwide would have been interested in the direction you drove the conversation.

Do the people at WSL HQ listen to that and say "BOY, this is some GREAT content we're putting out!" ?

BTW, when Pam said she just got out of the water, she was telling you that she had just gone surfing.

You didn't need to ask her 10 minutes later if she had surfed at all that day.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
did you listen to bassy interview ian cairns? I thought that one was pretty good.
Yes.

After hearing him several times, Ian is great.

There are a lot of reasons not to like him, but I really respect his rawness.

anything wsl sponsored is pretty lame.
Precisely.

that fanning/ross one is horrid
I figured that.

I never listened because I enjoy Mick's surfing too much.

Reactions: Maz

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
Prodan's a smart guy and a very capable interviewer, but I'm selective with the episodes I listen to. I chose to skip this one just based off the episode description alone.

did you listen to bassy interview ian cairns? I thought that one was pretty good.
This was an excellent one. Characters like Ian resonate with me.

that fanning/ross one is horrid
I like to acknowledge the WSL for addressing the fact that they all are "the wall of positive noise" and trying to be more controvercial, but choosing two people who are effectively shills for the organisation itself isn;t the way to do it.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
The only people who appreciate the wall of positive noise are the people at the WSL who built it.

The fact they thought it was a good idea to build it shows just how very far off the mark they are.

It's kind of mid-boggling really.

How does an organization continue to make such terrible choices?

Further

The last STAB Cusp podcast sounded like Stace and Jersey Mike were auditioning for the wall of positive noise. They were both dying to be Andrew Stark's p.a.l.

Reactions: afoaf

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
It's really comical.

DP - could you make an interview anymore vanilla?

So fckin' boring.

Maybe about 0.5% of surfers worldwide would have been interested in the direction you drove the conversation.

Do the people at WSL HQ listen to that and say "BOY, this is some GREAT content we're putting out!" ?

BTW, when Pam said she just got out of the water, she was telling you that she had just gone surfing.

You didn't need to ask her 10 minutes later if she had surfed at all that day.
The problem here is not the WSL. The problem is listening to pro surfers talk.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I disagree.

Some yes, others no.

Some need a good interviewer.

For the majority of the podcast DP asked silly superficial questions about where she grew up, then had her rambling on about contest results from the early 90s.

What sh!t.

It took him to the very end of the contest to ask her a superficial question about what she thought in regards to heavier waves being added back to the women's tour. There are so many questions that could have been asked relating to this topic, which I find very interesting especially in regards to the incentives in women's pro surfing now vs then.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Dave Prodan's The Lineup has its moments.
Dave's first attempt at podcasting was great! It was fun, analytical, engaging... It's a shame he had to shut it down whether it was because it was too much work or because the powers that be shuttered it.
The Lineup is a very watered down version with no segments, just talking.

Reactions: sponge

Clayster

Miki Dora status
Oct 26, 2005
You mean the kids who dropped out of school at age 12 to be home schooled can't give a good interview? I wonder what the problem could be? Is there any surfer on the tour that has a high school degree from a SCHOOL, much less a college degree?

It's complete BS. The whole system is a wreck. WSL needs to seriously change.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
You mean the kids who dropped out of school at age 12 to be home schooled can't give a good interview? I wonder what the problem could be? Is there any surfer on the tour that has a high school degree from a SCHOOL, much less a college degree?

It's complete BS. The whole system is a wreck. WSL needs to seriously change.
Is Ace Buttchug still on tour?

Im told he can read.

• Haha
Reactions: casa_mugrienta

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Ace's parents are professors, I think. Explains a lot.

I doubt anybody on tour has taken any college credits, much less graduated.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Ace's parents are professors, I think. Explains a lot.
I'm not sure how that explains generic, bland surfing.

I'm trying to remember any image or clip of Ace stands out in my mind...NOPE.

I doubt anybody on tour has taken any college credits, much less graduated.
Derek Hynd (master's in economics)
Scott McCranels (spread out a college >>>dental school career while on tour)

I'm sure there's others.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
You don't have to go to college or complete high school to be a good interviewer or interviewee.

I'm sure pretty much everyone steering the direction of the WSL at this point has a high school degree and more than likely college degree...That actually might just be part of the problem.