Hatchet fins ....

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
Seems to be the latest craze or the marketers would have you believe. Single fin hatchet fins have been around for awhile but now seeing them for twins and quads. True Ames - has a twin fin hatchet set - Wayne Rich Nightmare Keels and now Futures is selling a quad set from none other than Dan Thompson. The theory seems to be that the critical part of the fin sits deeper in the water - more drive, thrust, smoother, etc. Curious to hear thoughts, reviews, etc ..... are they legit or another gimmick to pry us of our $$$?

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Depends on the design.

The ones I've tried have tended to have a smaller base than normal fins and because of this, they feel like they lack drive. However, when there is punch to the wave, they do feel really good in turns. There's an accelerated slingshot effect out of turns that can be pretty addicting.

The one's I'm most curious to try right now are the FCS H4's and the NVS Taylor Knox twins. Normal fin base and a less exaggerated hatchet design.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I don’t love the powerdrive ones I’ve used (quad/tri). could be the material was not stiff enough = too springy (unpredictable), so I only liked them in small/soft waves- opposite of what JKB said. Think the twins might work better instead of keels where the surface area is more similar.

Reactions: flyinraptr

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
Outside factual physics
Yes, the hatchet fin should have reduced drag due to the reduction of the base. A large part of the total drag is the 3D junk where the fin is perpendicular to the board. Believe it or not, but a too small radius has more drag.

What they do offer though is increased area away from the disturbed flow where fin meets board. Which means more efficiency, which could lead to increased lift with good design. I think this means they work good once engaged, board on rail, but may not help with the initial engagement.

Drag, Oh what a drag. Guess what, that drag is what one can feel as drive. No drag no drive, simple equation. How much do you want to trade off is the real 64$ question.

There are other design factors to consider, durability. I had a board with cutaways based on the Hoey (Jeff Johnston?) designs. Nightmare, all three glassons failed due to high stress and small base.

Reactions: sizzld1 and JDJ

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I’ve been using a Greenough power blade on my 6’8 vaquero and I like it better than the fin Marc put in it and the 4A i used on it.

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
had a couple rode them primarily as 2+1s on longboards in the 90s we used to use those squirrels too. Johnny Rice has a version for longboards.

Fins-Greenough Paddles.JPG

Aleutian Juice-2.JPG

Aleutian Juice-4.JPG

Aleutian Juice-3.JPG

Fins Squirrels.JPG

Fins-Johnny Rice.JPG

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
I’ve been using a Greenough power blade on my 6’8 vaquero and I like it better than the fin Marc put in it and the 4A i used on it.
Or is it your subconcious telling you to like it better after how much you paid for the fin? :nana:

J/K I liked the powerblade much better than the Greenough high speed flex fin I had in my Vaquero edge.

• Haha
Reactions: ghostshaper

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Probably some of the best fins I've ever ridden. I cant say "the best" because standard template fins have a strong place in the fin quiver... but definitely stand out fins that give an incredible amount of thrust, drive and control that ordinary standard template fins dont. The keel hatchets are my favorite over the 5 fin set. The hatchets feel like the G10 epoxy and the fin design work great together and provide an incredible amount of thrust. I dont think I've felt like i was going that fast as i did on the keels...

The thruster set up and quad set up feel great... but i like a standard fin for more up and down surfing and doing turns. But i sold my AM fins and rode the powerdrive fins and had a blast with them in that hydroshort.

Obviously some of you will think my opinion in bias, but try them out for yourself. I've spoken with a few different people that have ridden the 5 fins setup and they have all agreed that the fins work. I even saw Tyler Warren post some pics on his story with the powerdrive fins as a thruster within the past week or two.