Tomo MPH

Oct 30, 2019
for the 3 tomo boards that I've tested against the formula ( el tomo, OB1 and hydroshort ) the "magic number" of 110.26 works a bit better than 106.5 ..... anyway, it tends to be a pretty good quick estimator - long discussion of this elsewhere (instagram probably)

a wildly incorrect formula would be ( L * W * H ) * time_of_day = your volume.

• Haha
Reactions: ReForest

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
for the 3 tomo boards that I've tested against the formula ( el tomo, OB1 and hydroshort ) the "magic number" of 110.26 works a bit better than 106.5 ..... anyway, it tends to be a pretty good quick estimator - long discussion of this elsewhere (instagram probably)

a wildly incorrect formula would be ( L * W * H ) * time_of_day = your volume.
1j9mml.jpg

internet-serious-business.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: j_mac and ReForest

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Volume is so weird. I rode one of JKB's old boards that was like 22L or something crazy, that i would never think of riding, and it worked fine. I was extremely surprised.

Reactions: jkb

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Been riding my Revo. One of the best boards ever. Just wish that I wasn't getting older because a 5'5 is a hassle.
I cant wait to try one. I almost ordered one, but I think i'm gonna wait and see what board Firewire/ Slater Designs releases for 2021.

I have a feeling the Revo might be his next model to be released.

I have an Omni squash prototype that was never released but it looks like it has a Gamma style tail (probably Kelly's suggestion). I think the Revo is an updated Omni squash but with Tomo's version of a squash which is more akin to the SKX or Hydroshort style tail.

A Revo in Helium tech with the right dimensions could be a really fun board!

Reactions: JDJ

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I'd be surprised. I don't think the chopped noses sell as well anymore as his more-elliptical ones. Kinda feels like that design moment has passed and I see less and less around now

Reactions: Goodfish and sh3

spjones123

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 24, 2005
Agree on the Revo, super fun. But I don’t think it has anything to do with an Omni or any other model. His own website says it’s just an updated Evo. The most common complaint was how short you had to ride the original, so he just made it two inches longer at the same volume.

I got my 5’8 at the stock 5’7 width and thickness to try and stretch it out even a touch more.

Reactions: oeste858 and JDJ

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I'd be surprised. I don't think the chopped noses sell as well anymore as his more-elliptical ones. Kinda feels like that design moment has passed and I see less and less around now
Idk... I personally like the blunt nose of the Omni and Cymatic. For HP surfing I prefer the Hydroshort nose, but i think there is a still a place for the blunt!

Agree on the Revo, super fun. But I don’t think it has anything to do with an Omni or any other model. His own website says it’s just an updated Evo. The most common complaint was how short you had to ride the original, so he just made it two inches longer at the same volume.

I got my 5’8 at the stock 5’7 width and thickness to try and stretch it out even a touch more.
Interesting. I havent had a chance to ride one yet. How does it feel compared the Evo? Similar?

Jan 4, 2019
Lisbon, Portugal
I felt that with my Cymatic, comming from the Evo, Omni, Nano, I felt the urge to have a more traditional shape and sold it..

Now I'm going back to grab another Evo (best board I had) and the Hydroshort..

Agree with ReForest, there is always space for the blunt, I also like the blunt nose on the Omni and Cymatic.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I feel like the Hydroshort is the best high performance board design Tomo has made thus far. I have 4 of them. :ROFLMAO:
5'5" in LFT, 5'5" in Helium, 5'6" rountail from AUS, and the new 5'6" in Kiteboard (aka Cinder block) tech.
You have a 4 hydroshort quiver within your Tomo quiver?!?

Looks like RK is taking GMM2 fin recs from @oeste858

http://instagr.am/p/CLk7kx4land/
bro, he probably saw me rippin out there on mine. what a poser. LOL
Have you tried it yet??

Jan 4, 2019
Lisbon, Portugal
I feel like the Hydroshort is the best high performance board design Tomo has made thus far. I have 4 of them. :ROFLMAO:
5'5" in LFT, 5'5" in Helium, 5'6" rountail from AUS, and the new 5'6" in Kiteboard (aka Cinder block) tech.
Roundtail sounds good!! What differences do you feel?

I'm curious about the hydronaut for barrels, but its overkill for me as I don't surf that wave range.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Roundtail sounds good!! What differences do you feel?

I'm curious about the hydronaut for barrels, but its overkill for me as I don't surf that wave range.
I agree. I dont ride that wave range, and hollow barrels are rare where i surf. The Hydroshort is the perfect substitute for the Hydronaut because it still has the elliptical shape of the Hydronaut, but the rocker isn't as aggressive and it still has a lot of hold. The roundtail is a good mini-step up version of the Hydroshort. I highly recommend.

Reactions: JTiago

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
bro, he probably saw me rippin out there on mine. what a poser. LOL
Have you tried it yet??
I have not. I don't have MR twins anymore (or any FCS twins for that matter).

I'd love to get an MR super twin one of these days (with the MR fin set-up, obviously). When I do, I'll definitely try those fins in the GMM2.