Ryan Burch Surfboards

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
If you sold more boards, yes :poke:
It's just an attitude towards business and what the shaper's objectives are.

Greg Griffin enjoys interacting with the customer and his sole objective is to make the best board for that customer based on that interaction.

There are still well known shapers out there that do this and some have self-limited to maintain that interaction.

Other guys went the volume route. Not a bad thing, but just indicates an overall different way of meeting and objective.

Personally if my only access to a custom order is via a middle man I'll pass.

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
Thats crazy . Mine does not even have a dent
You go for durable? All of my boards look like they've been head-butted on numerous occasions. Which may be partially true.

The newest ones I got from him show the weave through the glassing and the colouring. They've all been to my ding doc numerous times for fixing on the noses and tails...

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
The newest ones I got from him show the weave through the glassing and the colouring. They've all been to my ding doc numerous times for fixing on the noses and tails...
Pathetic.

Isn't he charging like $1000 for a custom? :ROFLMAO:

No access to the shaper and shitty glasswork.

For $2000 can you get access to the shaper and a decent glassjob?

retodd

Duke status
Feb 23, 2009
You go for durable? All of my boards look like they've been head-butted on numerous occasions. Which may be partially true.

I spec'd my glassing

4 s bottom + 4 e fin patch
4 s top + 4 warp
Sanded gloss

Bummer to hear yours are dinging up :(

retodd

Duke status
Feb 23, 2009
On my few step ups that have been custom ( not Burch) I have asked for blue weight US blanks , 4 ply appelcore stringers, all s cloth with wider laps .

Best to ask the shaper or production manager , sometimes they have their preferred layup and blank ( like tokoro)

Reactions: urchined

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
I spec'd my glassing

4 s bottom + 4 e fin patch
4 s top + 4 warp
Sanded gloss

Bummer to hear yours are dinging up :(
Thanks for sharing your insight. I'll just go ahead and copy you on my next order, but I've told myself no new boards for...a while. Next order would be a Parallelogram and maybe some sort of hipster mid length. Kill me now...

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
There is a limit to how many I can check personally and make fins for them .
You may not want that kind of attention paid to your surfing board :)
All my Burch boards have all come out great.

No reason for me to question the process or the people he hires to help with customer service.

Also, fins made for the board. :dancing:

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
When you guys go to https://ryanburchsurfboards.com, what do you see?

I just get a blank white page. Can't see anything. Tried it on multiple devices with multiple IP addresses.

Is my top knot not tight enough? Do I not have enough tie-dye T-shirts? What gives?!?!? I've emailed Scott my order outline, but I guess there's been a run of good swell over there, so new orders are on the back burner?

• Haha
Reactions: MathDebater and jkb

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
White screen for me too.

They must be sarfing.

I saw a post on the gram showing him getting barreled at Blacks and it read, "When the waves are like this, production goes down to 0%".
Yeah, I saw that too. I just thought my beard was so nicely oiled that it wouldn't apply to me.

• Haha
Reactions: MathDebater and jkb

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
Scott got back to me once the swell died down. Locked in my order for a 5'10 Parallelogram and a 7'2ish single fin full-on hipster mid length. Feel dirty, but also excited. Wait time is 6 months+...

Gave him your glassing specs, @retodd. Should be good for the mid-length too or should that be heavier?