Pyzel "Pyzalien 2" vs "Phantom"

Jan 29, 2021
Hi all
I've been reading reviews non-stop to try and work out which new board to get. At this stage i'm trying to decide between the Pyzel Pyzalien 2 and the Phantom. I have a Christenson lane splitter for the grovel days so i'm really looking for something to take out in 3ft plus surf that has more of a performance edge to it. I also already have a JS modco which i have been riding in better surf but if anything it feels over volumed and too long given the changes in surfboard design (it's 6'2 and i'm looking at a 5'11 in either Pyzel model). There are so many different boards now i find it really hard to work out what will work best for me. I'm no pro-surfer but i've been surfing for about 30 years on a monthly but not every week basis (life gets in the way when you get old!). So i'm thinking a daily driver type board would suit me best. Something i can rip on when the surf is good with enough volume that i can paddle into waves considering i don't surf every day. Plenty of people seem to rate the Pyzalien 2 but i can't work out exactly how it differs from the Phantom and which would suit what i'm looking for i.e. something more high performance but not a complete knife that I can't surf.
Any views greatfully received!
Cheers

surfapotomus

OTF status
Jan 21, 2014
on a leash
I can't really answer your question. But I will use this opportunity to profess my love for the Phantom. It's the perfect SoCal shortboard, IMO.

Pyzelsurfboards

OTF status
Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
My favorite board is the Pzyalien2 and I also make that model for all of my friends in California.
It's pretty much the perfect California model for any waves you would consider above the Grovel level

cjs2002

Nep status
Jan 24, 2008
I don’t think you can go wrong with either board. Will ultimately come down to personal preference on which shape outline you like more. From personal experience, the phantom is extremely user friendly and feels like a magic carpet