SITD Taj Burrow

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
After Dane, Jordy and Mick, it's somewhat downhill unless they can get Kelly or have a more interesting format. I really don't need to watch a young Australian pro that can barely speak the English language evaluate boards. "This one ripped; this one also ripped but way less hard."
Yeah, I get that. While I enjoyed Noa Deane's EAST because I like his surfing, he is difficult to listen to.

I prefer the SITD format where Stab is using someone who's very in tune with their (and others) equipment. I like Taj's surfing, but I think it's telling that he didn't guess one out of the 13 shapers correctly and that keeping tabs on what's happening with HPSB design is apparently not one of his chief concerns nowadays. I will give him that some of the entries are not well known, but compared to past SITD test riders, it was surprising (although I did think it was funny when he guessed "Vampirate?") he couldn't even pick out a Mayhem.

Last edited:

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
Yep. Dane, Jordy and Mick almost uniformly predicted the shaper of every board based on a quick once over. Plus, they had a nice chemistry together, which brought out their friendly competitiveness.

Honestly, it would be fun to see Pyzel, Biolas, DHD, JS, Britt and some others as the riders. Maybe an El Salvador point. Nothing crazy. They're old.

You start to introduce shapers like Tomo and Burch, that takes it to an entirely different level because they have CT ability

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I agree.....you could tell that Mick, Dane, and Jordy really pay attention to minute details of surfboards. Can't remember the Julian episode. But those are the types of people you want for this thing. Kelly would be the same way. I get the impression that Bobby and Mason wouldn't be as eloquent when explaining board design Maybe I'm wrong.

A (good) shaper would offer even more valuable and detailed info. As much as I'd like to see Burch or Tomo do one of these, I don't see any upside for the shaper. Obviously they couldn't ride (or choose) their own board so they'd be promoting someone else's board.

Reactions: JDJ

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
"America's Next Top FW Model" :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

As funny as that sounds, it would be fun to watch. Get a bunch of small time shapers from around the world and document each one of them creating a design to submit. Then have someone like Kelly ride their boards and provide feedback and then pick a winner and manufacture a limited number of boards in that model... i bet the boards would sell and if produced correctly would be a great show. Great marketing for the board too to see it go through all those stages.
Epic idea actually!
As @ehiunno said, I hate how much I like this.

You really need to pitch that to the horseman of the apocalypse, Erik Logan, Kelly Slater, Mark Price...and I can't think of a fourth :D

ULUSURFER

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 2, 2007
Australia
Visit site
the new crop of aussie surfers dont seem to be very articulate or care about boards too much. I think an Occy/Curren SITD would be pretty cool, gudauskas bros would be cool too

Adriano would be good as he rides lots of different shapers boards and would likely easily guess who shapes them

Reactions: ReForest and JDJ

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
Dane on a Burch at a Mexian point was the pinnacle of Stab in the Dark on Acid, or whatever it was called. It melted my eyes.

Not so interested in seeing Taj ride boards made for Kelly. Seems like sloppy seconds...

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
the new crop of aussie surfers dont seem to be very articulate or care about boards too much. I think an Occy/Curren SITD would be pretty cool, gudauskas bros would be cool too

Adriano would be good as he rides lots of different shapers boards and would likely easily guess who shapes them
Shane Dorian would be cool too. He rips and his feedback would be cool.
I like the idea of Curren or Occy. Old school guys with personality are always entertaining.