First time snowboarding, where to go?

tsenn

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 11, 2004
san diego
Wow! I knew the erbb folks were good people, but damn you guys are gold! Thank you so much for your input and taking the time to give me all the suggestions. I have read them all with the wife and this has helped a ton!

Park City, Telluride, and Tahoe all sound like great options. I have a friend in Tahoe so maybe I should look into that more. But Park City really seems to check all the boxes. BC also sounds very appealing but I guess that's out this year.

Thanks again everyone. I've learned a lot and super grateful for this community here! Stocked!
Hey! We're not done yet! This will go on for a couple of pages...

• Haha
Reactions: Kaido and sdsrfr
Feb 19, 2010
Los Angeles
Prior to this year, I've been taking the family on carless ski trips for the last couple of years. Two years ago, Whitefish, MT, you can stay downtown and there's a shuttle to the mountain, I think it was every 15 minutes, 10 min ride . . . whatever it was easy, and the town was super nice and completely walkable. We had a nice hotel room for $100 a night. The mountain is awesome, great runs, uncrowded lifts, but it can be cold. Lots of condos on the mountain also.

Last year, we went to B.C., but stayed with friends in Vancouver. At least one of the local mountains there can be accessed via a cab and gondola ride or you can catch a shuttle to Whistler. Whistler is epic, maybe best mountain in the world, the local mountains are not, but if you manage to catch them when the weather is still cold, they are relatively low stress and maybe plenty fun for a beginner. Good luck!

We've been to Tahoe for weekends plenty also, but I'd rate nothing in Tahoe as good without a car. That place is made for driving in. There are lots of great mountains there though, the snow can be too wet a lot, but not always.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
My friend owns the pizzeria/bar in white fish. Good guy. “Retired” warlock

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
+however many others Utah. Cheaper, easier, powderier, quicker, friendlier.

when you come from surfing, just try to remember that the mountain doesn't push back the same way a wave does when you put the board on rail.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
+however many others Utah. Cheaper, easier, powderier, quicker, friendlier.
Fly into Salt Lake.

Something like a 2 hr freeway drive to Beaver Mountain.

$50 lift ticket and it's empty on weekdays.

IMHO, speaking as a beginner, it's a no brainer. You don't need much to keep you happy/hurting.

Look at the lift ticket prices for the Beav vs Park City and you'll see what I mean.

Then factor in lodging.

Don't you live in the Caribbean? You and your family will be tripping out even without the premier location.

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
Flying into Reno, staying in fabulous Incline Village (no jobs there to support owning a home there btw...) and hitting Mt Rose and Diamond Peak when they both have enough snow and mild temps / weather would be an excellent week for a first timer.

33min from the airport to Mt. Rose and another 18 minutes to Diamond Peak / Incline Village. IThough there are shuttles, if you can plan for mild weather just rent a car. You'll be stoked to drive around the lake, go to the grocery store to stock up your condo, etc.

Feb 19, 2010
Los Angeles
It's fine for my lack of skill and fear level. I don't know much on the topic, but I'd be wasting money at more expensive locales.
Be careful, because "cheap" is not always or even usually synonymous with "beginner-friendly". "The Beav" probably is, but I've made the mistake a couple of times of showing up at little "local" mountains, only to find that it caters to hard-core expert skiers only. A lot of the big "expensive" resorts also do a good job of making sure to have plenty of very friendly "bunny" slopes to start out on.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Found this on reddit and not that it really answers the question but it’s interesting
Park city is huge, and not a lot of easy and not that much really difficult eather
Thing about ratings, they’re relative for a given mountain. So a green on a really challenging mountain might be a black on an easy mountain
But still, interesting
The numbers are slope length in km, not number of runsB57874D6-E542-4EEA-98D5-A81673CA0A38.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: afoaf

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
I went to Powder Mountain a couple winters ago. It's an hour from SLC and aptly named: it's a powder mountain. They limit lift tickets to 1500 per day and the day I was there was basically empty.

Reactions: Kaido

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
Flying into Reno, staying in fabulous Incline Village (no jobs there to support owning a home there btw...) and hitting Mt Rose and Diamond Peak when they both have enough snow and mild temps / weather would be an excellent week for a first timer.

33min from the airport to Mt. Rose and another 18 minutes to Diamond Peak / Incline Village. IThough there are shuttles, if you can plan for mild weather just rent a car. You'll be stoked to drive around the lake, go to the grocery store to stock up your condo, etc.

I'd second this one. I've taken my 9/7 yr olds there on their first ski trip 2 yrs ago. Have a res there for this year as well! Fly to Reno, rent a car and drive to Incline. Ski at Diamond Peak. Stayed at the Hyatt Residence club in Incline. https://www.hyatt.com/en-US/hotel/nevada/hyatt-residence-club-lake-tahoe-high-sierra-lodge/tahsh?src=hvoi_business_hrclaketahoe_hsl_5_10_17
Sometimes you can score a really good price per night there for your own 2/2 luxury condo. Shuttle to resort 5 mins away. or drive. Really good beginner ski/snowboard school. Easy lifts and runs for the beginners. Bitchen bar at the top for a nice view, food and a beer.
Or, you can goto Northstar and stay at their village. There are plenty of accomodations there if you wanted to stay near the ski resort. Not necessarily cheap but then again, skiing ain't cheap! Try looking into Kings Beach area for lodging.
Other areas to consider in Tahoe for beginners would be Donner Ski Ranch. Stay in an airbnb in Tahoe Donner area. https://www.donnerskiranch.com/#new-page-2

For Utah, I went in '89? Brighton was the only resort in all of Utah to allow snowboarding.
It has 2 sides, one is all rocky and the other all trees. Snow is incredible! Snowed all day for 5 days straight with $10/day lift tickets! IT was pretty awesome indeed. Stayed at a friends house in Provo. Not sure of accomodations there these days, but the skiing would be pretty good as well.

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
No, a green on a challenging mountain is never ever a black on an easy mountain, no way. At worst a blue (they even have double blues sometimes) on big mountain is a black on an easy one.

the graphics below is not a comparison of greens to blues to blacks at various mountains and how steep they are, it’s how Many greens blues and blacks up their “cumulative slope length“, it’s not measuring what degree pitch the average green is at park city vs what pitch a green is at big sky.

Found this on reddit and not that it really answers the question but it’s interesting
Park city is huge, and not a lot of easy and not that much really difficult eather
Thing about ratings, they’re relative for a given mountain. So a green on a really challenging mountain might be a black on an easy mountain
But still, interesting
The numbers are slope length in km, not number of runsView attachment 104075

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
No, a green on a challenging mountain is never ever a black on an easy mountain, no way. At worst a blue (they even have double blues sometimes) on big mountain is a black on an easy one.

the graphics below is not a comparison of greens to blues to blacks at various mountains and how steep they are, it’s how Many greens blues and blacks up their “cumulative slope length“, it’s not measuring what degree pitch the average green is at park city vs what pitch a green is at big sky.
You’ve never been to the poco os, have you?
Ok, maybe not greens being blacks, but a small shitty mountain’s blacks might not be far off from being a green in SLC
What that graphic showed me was relative length of slopes, one measure to f how big the mountain is, and if it’s more for beginners or experts
In the northeast, I’ve always said Stratton is the best mountain for kids learning because there’s so much easier terrain. On the chart, that on has way more green than blue and black
Mildly interesting, but maybe not interesting af

Kaido

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 22, 2002
Hawaii
I went to Powder Mountain a couple winters ago. It's an hour from SLC and aptly named: it's a powder mountain. They limit lift tickets to 1500 per day and the day I was there was basically empty.
PM is super fun. Way less than PC and now has more terrain too. Highly recommend, even if for just a day.

Reactions: JBerry

surfadelphia

Nep status
Nov 15, 2010
PM is super fun. Way less than PC and now has more terrain too. Highly recommend, even if for just a day.
!00% agree, had some really good days there years back. Do they still run the busses to pick people up off the backside/access road terrain?

on the opposite end of the spectrum Sundance can be really fun too. Small by UT standards but super pretty and more than enough for a really nice day. Coolest bar in UT at the top of the mountain.

Snowbasin....great mountain, amazing bathrooms

Reactions: Kaido

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
snowbird used to be real cheap
You’ve never been to the poco os, have you?
Ok, maybe not greens being blacks, but a small shitty mountain’s blacks might not be far off from being a green in SLC
What that graphic showed me was relative length of slopes, one measure to f how big the mountain is, and if it’s more for beginners or experts
In the northeast, I’ve always said Stratton is the best mountain for kids learning because there’s so much easier terrain. On the chart, that on has way more green than blue and black
Mildly interesting, but maybe not interesting af
i think you really need to go off word of mouth as the color scales are not necessarily evenly allocated nor can you immediately tell access to the easy route is not sandwiched between a couple steeps that freak out beginners.

on that chart, snowbird looks very unassuming. However I’ve literally watched staff laugh at lift ticket holders when they ask about beginner runs. “Did you not see our award winning ad campaign?”

1611247749666.jpeg

Kaido

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 22, 2002
Hawaii
!00% agree, had some really good days there years back. Do they still run the busses to pick people up off the backside/access road terrain?

on the opposite end of the spectrum Sundance can be really fun too. Small by UT standards but super pretty and more than enough for a really nice day. Coolest bar in UT at the top of the mountain.

Snowbasin....great mountain, amazing bathrooms
Yeah, Sundance is such a neat spot. Love everything about it. The summit view is amazing. Headed to Snow Basin Monday. Looks like a nice dump coming this weekend.

Reactions: JBerry