North Shore jet ski carnage

Clayster

Miki Dora status
Oct 26, 2005
Carnage is right. Clean up set. Lots of skis minus operators. I thought the boat was going to get mowed.

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
Kind of looked like someone should have done a 180 and run for the inside on that one. Yikes.

Reactions: xmesa

LiamUnknown

Nep status
Jun 16, 2004
Good way to kill someone by flying blind. Saw on instagram the passenger broke their back.
that was a different ski, one of the other ones that went into the air but not THE ski that went into the air if that makes sense.

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
Our kids can't go to school, can't have amateur surf contests, can't have swim meets or service projects or any sports events, but Vans can have a digital Triple Crown and the entire North Shore can work itself in to a feeding frenzy for images to wring every dollar possible from surfing.

It is not the fault of professional surfing, it's our state and local government, and I know people have to make a living. But if anyone ever wondered if the surf industry actually gives two shits about the North Shore community, wonder no more. They brought COVID, passed it through the team houses, posted pictures of their maskless indoor house parties for all the world to see. Try that on a normal residential street, the cops are coming.

Next time I hear one of these clowns talk about "giving back" I'm going to have to walk away.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
that was a different ski, one of the other ones that went into the air but not THE ski that went into the air if that makes sense.
Still incredibly dumb. Flying blind over a huge wave and breaking your passenger's back isn't something an experienced ski operator would do. I've been around long enough to know that big swells bring out all sorts of stupid people who have no business being in the water.

The sad thing is a lot of locals would like Hawaii to relax the regulations on PWCs for us to enjoy but they never will because of things like this.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
I'm confused on which one broke their back.

Was it the white ski that flew over the top at the very last moment, behind all the other skis? Was it the guy that went over the falls? Which one was Latronic on?

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
I know at least one guy who was out there driving a ski and I promise you, he shouldn't have been. You know who ends up responsible for this? Lifeguards. 80 rescues Saturday.

This is nothing against Mike L., love Mike, he's a great waterman and an established surf media presence with a local product focused on Hawaii and Hawaiian surfers and the Hawaiian beach/ocean community. That's the kind of stuff we need. Plus if anyone can make it to shore alone, it's Mike haha

Last edited:

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Cam Richards was driving the ski and photographer Ryan Moss was on the back. Ryan has a fractured vertebrae and is at Queens. I don't know how familiar Cam is with jetskis or 900 foot waves.

*Not the ski doing Supercross out there, another ski that launched but not as high.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
Isn't Cam Richards the Carolina surfer that got a nice one at pipe a few winters back?

Hopefully Ryan Moss makes a full recovery. And thankfully no one else was seriously injured. It could have gone a lot worse.

Clayster

Miki Dora status
Oct 26, 2005
Looks like at least 3 skis did make the last second decision to turn and run in, probably a wise decision.
Indeed. And you could see multiple ski operators throttle down as they crested the wave. Others went full throttle and launched. Experience.

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
I kind of hate what I'm about to say, but at some point I start to wonder if there shouldn't be a limit on how many/who is out there. Maybe it's time to issue permits. Big wave hunting licenses. At least for the photographers. Seems like there ought to be some method of qualifying who is out there. Before someone gets killed again. But whatever. Not my problem.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I had a friend fly over a wave and got launched super high and when he came down he shattered his wrist on the ski.