RIP ben aipa.

Oct 29, 2012
When I was about 13 I got my head slapped by Ben at Number 3s for going on his wave. (For those of you who’ve never experienced a good Hawaiian head slapping, it’s not a punch. It’s a flick of the wrist with the knuckle of one finger connecting with a knuckle head. Not really painful, but very telling) A year later we were both surfing Ala Moana on a pretty big, nicely lined up swell. I got a really excellent wave from the outside, then got burned really pulling into the Bowl section. Pre-leash times, I had to straighten out, then long paddle back out. When I back out, I was paddling past Ben. He points to the guy who dropped in on me and said really loud, so the whole break could hear,, “at’s the guy, yeah?“ I nodded, yeah. He paddled over to the guy, splashed water in his face a couple of times and had a few quiet words with him. An oddly heartwarming moment.

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
My heart goes out to his family. In my minds eye he will forever hold a spot wherein he will be forever young. RIP You will never be forgotten.

Last edited:
Reactions: K1zwark

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
Ala Moana dayz in da parking lot ...
Liddel, Buttons, Ernice Cruz, Troy Fernandez, The Papakolea crew hanging out on the grass island drinking beer ... longboard contests with Ben, Rusty Keaulana, Josh Baxter, Buffalo, Donald Takayama, etc ... Oceanside, Huntington Beach ...beach party /bbq with Ben & etc in Oceanside at an erBB's uncle motel on the beach.

Ben Aipa Induction.jpg

Ben's Induction to the Surfer's Walk of Fame in Huntington Beach, 2019.

Sonny G.jpg

Friends came to support Ben in Huntington Beach.
Aloha O'e, Old Friend ~ Ho'omana'o ~ Forever remembered :waving:
photos: ppk

Last edited: