My Friend Owl

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
im about to go surf a flat bottom aleutian juice in some nice sizey norcal waves. boxey rails tucked edge pulled round pin. so stocked.

thanks for posting greg
They work well
Dave was very into slight very convex bottoms for a very long time - a variation of the Brewer bottoms in the 70's -80's
Something I'm sure he picked up from Rusty during their time together

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
McCoy said single fins are the fastest.

Board that can go the fastest are the fastest.

Those boards do NOT have flat bottoms and/or single fins.

Lest we forget, surfboards travel at angles on curved fluid surfaces.
Speed is irrelevant without control.

I've never understood why a lot of people don't factor this in.

A car gan go fast but on ice it's irrelevant.

Reactions: Havoc

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
exactly. no gimmicks
i.e. concave is a gimmick?

I noticed Rusty was referenced, as he often seems to be here by Greg.

Most of Rusty's boards I've seen have some variation of concave.

Here's an article where he shuns flat bottoms in favor of concave and other variations:

I don't know what gimmick doc_f was referencing, but in regards to concave most guys don't even know what bottom contour their boards have anyway so it's pretty tough to categorize concave as a gimmick whatever the opinion on it.

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
I’ve felt up a few of owls boards. Really interesting rails, very beefy. I reckon they’d go good in decent surf. I was tempted for our big east swells when paddling is king.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
I’ve felt up a few of owls boards. Really interesting rails, very beefy. I reckon they’d go good in decent surf. I was tempted for our big east swells when paddling is king.
I would love to own a Owl sunset gun although I am probably done riding the kind of waves that call for it.

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
flat is fast with minimal input. concaves i felt needed to be pumped for speed n chit. huge generalization of course. parmy likes low rocker flat bottom to scooped panel vee. his boars fly. not sure bout fin position i shud prly msr so greg can get a chubby

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
Hey casa
When the Russ K board was built 23 years ago Dave was having his boards glassed at Barnfields too
Again with a slight convex bottom influenced by Rusty
David Barr came thru and had his Rusty shapes glassed there too
Slight Brewer Tri Plane on all of them
When John Carper was Rusty's top shaper in the 90's came to Barnfields they all had this same convex bottom

You want to , need to discredit all this that did happen

Soooo much you are not aware of

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Hey casa
When the Russ K board was built 23 years ago Dave was having his boards glassed at Barnfields too
Again with a slight convex bottom influenced by Rusty
David Barr came thru and had his Rusty shapes glassed there too
Slight Brewer Tri Plane on all of them
When John Carper was Rusty's top shaper in the 90's came to Barnfields they all had this same convex bottom

You want to , need to discredit all this that did happen
Greg -

In all seriousness, you must be confusing me with another poster.

Do you ever see me chiming in with long essays on design, claiming certain designs theories suck or make no sense, etc?

No. Never.

Further, I've never argued contrary to anything you posted above.

I did post that article where Rusty was somewhat dismissive of flat bottoms and went on to say there was more than one way to skin a cat - and indeed went on to express single concave was his go-to for most modern surfboards because of particular qualities he believes in.

Bringing up JC and Barr - I had a John Carper in the early 2000s - it was single concave. I've never had a Dave Barr board but those I've seen have been single or single>double.

It's weird to hear stuff like "gimmick" and "marketing" get thrown around in regards to standard bottom contours when a lot of the guys you tout here use those very design elements.

I've never debated design theory here with you, or anyone else.

Because I know f*ckall about design. I've said that here. Many times.

That's why I ask questions. In hopes to get a little bit of understanding.

If I did know about design I'd be making boards for myself.

Soooo much you are not aware of
No sh!t.

That's why I ask questions.

I really don't get your dismissive/cryptic/snarky attitude.

I'm not here to discredit anything you posted - to what purpose would it serve?

Discrediting you - for what?

You have a strong history of being a reputable shaper and you give the utmost care and attention to your customers. I really respect that.

Understand you convey a very authoritative approach here at times and people will fuck with you a bit over it when there is indication that your rigidity is not always so rigid (like when I gave you a hard time over the Craigslist longboard)

Further, understand your posting style is not easy to read.

Last edited: