Oct 7, 2020

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
Somebody mentioned Shey & XTR. I have the Dark Twinn in XTR.

For me, Duke Aipa's Dark Twinn is AMAZING. Not sure if it's the same thing as the Flat Earth (someone above said they are), but I couldn't be happier with it. If it is the same thing as Akila's board & you have access to XTR customs, GET IT. Worth every penny. Here's a short email I wrote to Duke on Tuesday of this week:

Duke-

I owe you a full write up and email, but figured out the fins and had an incredible day yesterday. Late take offs like it’s nothing, pulling in under the lip, solid and sustained rail carves, solid foam climbs, rock and roll floaters, you name it. STOKED.

Could not be happier with the board. Had multiple people comment on my surfing on it yesterday.

-S----

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
So what was the Fin Solution ?
Legit question.

I was using upright MTF fins and they didn't work for me. Frankly, I was hoping they'd work just because they looked so beautiful - Marlin's 101 bamboo fins with a Futures base. I'm more down the line in style, horizontal rather than vertical if you will... much like your fins. I put in the more traditional raked style Rasta twin fin set from Futures (basically it's their stock template) and HOOOOOLLLLLYYYY COOOOWWWWW.

This board holds a rail so well when you want it to, which is something I'd never expect in a twin fin. What a blast. Had someone ask me if I had superglue on my booties since I was sticking everything. Board was magical.

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Has anyone felt one of these up yet? I'm curious to throw a 5'6 under my arm, but the more I think about it, spending that much on a Thai made board that's gonna yellow doesn't excite me too much. I'm also guilty of painting most surfers I see with FW's in a negative light and I can see that being another obstacle. I'd have to put a scarlet H for hypocrite on my wetsuit.

Sounds like Akila's been having some growing pains (and RIP to Ben) business-wise with crazy long wait times. I wish I had pulled the trigger when I was DM'ing with him prior to the explosion of interest post Slater at Keramas.

The dimensions look like they'll feel similar to the Varial one I bought, but never rode (felt way too under volumed compared to it's stated volume) with the tapered rails.

Here are the dims:

Akila Flat Earth.png

Reactions: MathDebater

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
Has anyone felt one of these up yet? I'm curious to throw a 5'6 under my arm, but the more I think about it, spending that much on a Thai made board that's gonna yellow doesn't excite me too much. I'm also guilty of painting most surfers I see with FW's in a negative light and I can see that being another obstacle. I'd have to put a scarlet H for hypocrite on my wetsuit.

Sounds like Akila's been having some growing pains (and RIP to Ben) business-wise with crazy long wait times. I wish I had pulled the trigger when I was DM'ing with him prior to the explosion of interest post Slater at Keramas.

The dimensions look like they'll feel similar to the Varial one I bought, but never rode (felt way too under volumed compared to it's stated volume) with the tapered rails.
You shoulda kept that one. I guarantee that it would’ve floated you fine. They feel waaay knifier under arm than they actually paddle/ride.

Reactions: oeste858

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
You shoulda kept that one. I guarantee that it would’ve floated you fine. They feel waaay knifier under arm than they actually paddle/ride.
I've since heard that. It was an impulse buy. I didn't love the color, tiki logo and it had Futures ( I've been using FCSII for years now). The questionable float helped me quickly change my mind and I exchanged it for a custom CI NB2.

Reactions: oeste858