SoCal winter thunderdome: Blackbird vs. Ghost

Lohena

OTF status
Oct 30, 2019
Yeah I'd do one coat on the pad to seal the bottom, let it dry for like 5 minutes. Then one coat on both the pad and the board, wait until both are tacky and stick it down. How long to wait depends on the humidity etc, 30 sec to 5 minutes or so, keep an eye on it.

I thought I recalled it saying only to do two-surface bonding but looking at my can just now it does say you can do just one surface, but definitely do both. Maybe it was 90 that says one surface is not recommended. 90 is definitely a bit stronger.
Yea mine never gets tacky, maybe I have a bad can.

SD_Dan

OTF status
Jan 23, 2019
Thruster with medium Accelerators.

soo... funny thing happened, bros. Convinced by ReTodd’s sound reasoning, but before ordering the new 6’4 BB on the R. site, I was dicking around looking at boards on CL...
Long story short: This morning I picked up a great condition Ghost in stock 6’3 dims for $400. LOL. I’m an idiot and I really need to stop searching CL for boards. But I figure I’ll try it out the next few weeks and if I don’t like it, I can probably resell for $500. What’s the expression?... Don’t look a gift Ghost in the mouth.
Did you get to try your ghost yet. There has been plenty of swell. Curious how you like it.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Did you get to try your ghost yet. There has been plenty of swell. Curious how you like it.
Been riding the Blackbird while I can with this swell, so only a couple times so far.
I did take the ghost out again today. As others described, it works well when the waves are clean/steep/punchy/hollow. Handles late drops like a champ. Surgical carves and snaps in the pocket. But it doesn't carry speed through slower sections as well as I hoped, because unfortunately, I usually surf spots that have at least one softer section on each wave connecting the racier sections. It's definitely the most HP board I have, so I am still getting used to it. Wish I surfed better waves/cleaner conditions to really take advantage of it.

EDIT: I was actually eyeing the Shortcut on the Pyzel site last night, which looks a little fuller (or "less refined" as someone else noted) than the Ghost. Maybe that or wider BB for next winter

Last edited:

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
Been riding the Blackbird while I can with this swell, so only a couple times so far.
I did take the ghost out again today. As others described, it works well when the waves are clean/steep/punchy/hollow. Handles late drops like a champ. Surgical carves and snaps in the pocket. But it doesn't carry speed through slower sections as well as I hoped, because unfortunately, I usually surf spots that have at least one softer section on each wave connecting the racier sections. It's definitely the most HP board I have, so I am still getting used to it. Wish I surfed better waves/cleaner conditions to really take advantage of it.

EDIT: I was actually eyeing the Shortcut on the Pyzel site last night, which looks a little fuller (or "less refined" as someone else noted) than the Ghost. Maybe that or wider BB for next winter
wut about the F-rocket?

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
have now ridden both a 6’2 blackbird and 6’1 ghost, both stock dims. only one (really good) session on the ghost but a few things stood out switching from the blackbird on HH+ days -

for general board duties, blackbird is more an all arounder and ghost is for ripping.

BB is stiffer, better in chop, and less paddle form required in the deathzone/soup. It kind of damps things out which is welcomed in rougher seas but that leaves you wanting more performance on a clean day or the right wave.

for san diego and one board only, I’d lean towards the blackbird as it would get more use. But, when conditions are right, way more fun will be had on a ghost. the ghost really does feel longer than it is so I wouldn’t go any longer than my height for socal. blackbird rides true to its length and could easily scale it up 6-12” without much thought. Sized at your height, it’s a meaty shortboard that can handle slop and backwash like it’s not there.

if you’re not an HP board person, go with the blackbird. If you can get both, get a ghost at your height and blackbird a few inches above it. YMMV, and only one session on the ghost in pretty dreamy SD conditions.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
THIS. Exactly my impression too. I'll probably hang onto the Ghost, for those super rare good+clean days, but I struggle to find days (even during this last swell) when it's been clean enough to be "Ghost-worthy". It's easily the most HP board I own, and frankly more than I need for the waves I surf. BB just eats up the spread-out lineups, bumpier faces, and slow sections like a champ. Feels like it would take a wrecking ball to knock me off it too. I've already used it more the past month than I did the previous year and a half.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
I've had both a CI Happy roundpin and a Xanadu Nitz in years past, and for the winter conditions I choose to surf, I don't know why I didn't just get a Blackbird earlier.

edit: both of the above were great boards, I just don't surf barreling conditions enough

Reactions: oeste858 and sdsrfr

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Finally felt up a 6'4 F-Rocket at the Patagooch store in Cardiff a few days ago. Looks & feels exactly what I hoped. Seems like it would have much more familiar feel to what I usually ride the rest of the year than BBs or ghost. But $950 is a lot. Wish I could try one somehow. Can't help but think "Oh, I can get two good used boards for that". You know how I do.
Haven't even ridden the used 6'6 Blackbird I picked up a few weeks ago! Pretty much been using the groveler quiver the past few weeks since winter swell season apparently ended with January.
Maybe I'll try to get the F-Rocket next winter...

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I’ll buy your 6’6 off you first Hurricane swell or in October. Whichever comes first.

also, yah, feel the pain. i put fins in my ghost a couple weeks ago just to remember what it looked like.

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
Stupid Q: S California doesn’t see days where a step up type board is “needed” in summer when there’s a nice S pulse? I’d think there’d be some spots down there where that’d be the call.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016

Reactions: MathDebater

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Stupid Q: S California doesn’t see days where a step up type board is “needed” in summer when there’s a nice S pulse? I’d think there’d be some spots down there where that’d be the call.
There’s usually a handful of times a summer where a step up could be useful. If I had owned my 6’ Ghost last summer, it would have seen two to three days of use, which is what it’s seen this past winter.