JS warehouse Oceanside retaliation

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
Great for the passionate hobbyist surfer but for the casual beach goer who just wants to have fun in the water and maybe gets some exercise at the same time that is a big ask.
then buy otr from a shaper that can adjust dims. that way u can customize if u want to proceed. maybe this is all a moot point as 90% of surfers started within the last 2-3 years. most within the last 1. so they are catering to the masses of beginners who want to graduate from their wavestorm

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
WTF has this thread turned into??

Fok all those that care about this JS to CA move. They should've known it would happen some day. Heck, they let FW slide in years back without much of a whimper! It's a different world than the past. Why complain now and make a big deal now? Ain't no fighting no more, ain't no cameras or videos allowed at the beach no more, ain't no secrect spots no more, and sure as hell ain't no one going to tell someone else they can't do business in SD no more, it's wide fokn open! And so are the beaches. And these days its about the all mighty $$. Sue me bro!! :roflmao:

Why the heck do you need to know your volume? liters? Why can't simple dimensions be good enough?
I've had boards w same volume, but different curves and they work different, as does every board.

The 'oh i have xx liters of volume, and xx foam, w xx carbon strip wrap kevlar things, in a vac bag glass job,
w xx layers of glass, here and there, w a tail patch, and custom fin wrap, and vinyl sticker pro ho style on top of my custom stock otr bamboo veneer to hide the piece of shart it really is' board crowd is really really getting old. :nana:

Mar 1, 2010
I've been down the alt tech rabbit hole, everything from Firewire to Stretch to XTR to FutureFlex and more. PU still feels the best. In my hand it might feel heavier than EPS, but in the water it carries so much more inertia and momentum than EPS. EPS might flick up to a fast speed at first, but it doesn't hold it. PU gets faster and faster, higher top end. Like throwing a baseball (PU) versus throwing a tennis ball (EPS).

I've had about 5 firewires in the past, my friend owns a small shop and lets me buy whatever at cost, and I can say that all the boards have been good. Never had a dud. BUTTTTT, I never had a magic one either. They sat somewhere between a decent board and just below a really good board.. Rode them for a few months then sold them. All my truly magic boards have come from working with a shaper. Most of the time not even meeting in person, but via email or text then mailing checks or sending paypal/venmo for deposit and paying balance when pick up. Takes about 1-3 iterations of a shape before we get supernatural results.

The one really good FW was a stock Tomo Nano. At 5'5 it's volume was so tiny for me at 6'1 190, but it went really well. Always thought about getting a thicker one via XTR. But you couldn't do that with FW.

FW is genius in their website, prod descriptions, copy writing, etc. They've captured people who want to nerd out on boards (all of us) and packaged it in a sleek design, logos, branding etc. I understand why people buy in and get them, but they are expensive and non customizable. Craftsmanship is around average in the board industry, imho.
baseballs don't get faster fyi.. thats why kids throw harder today. they measure the ball out of the hand now not as it crosses the plate like they used to. baseballs lose speed..

ciscojaws

Michael Peterson status
Jul 28, 2008
Kook City, VA
The 'oh i have xx liters of volume, and xx foam, w xx carbon strip wrap kevlar things, in a vac bag glass job,
w xx layers of glass, here and there, w a tail patch, and custom fin wrap, and vinyl sticker pro ho style on top of my custom stock otr bamboo veneer to hide the piece of shart it really is' board crowd is really really getting old. :nana:
Firewire surfboards - space age technology for surfers that aren't good enough to tell the difference.

Mar 1, 2010
Ok ok ok but which one maintains speed better and goes further?
a baseball will. but a 4 ounce ball can be thrown harder (faster) than a 5 oz baseball. so the 4 oz ball (epoxy) may be more beneficial to someone who rides smaller weaker waves that need to be quicker off the mark and more nimble than a 5 oz baseball (poly) that carries momentum better

• Haha
Reactions: ReForest and racer1

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
a baseball will. but a 4 ounce ball can be thrown harder (faster) than a 5 oz baseball. so the 4 oz ball (epoxy) may be more beneficial to someone who rides smaller weaker waves that need to be quicker of the mark and more nimble than a 5 oz baseball (poly) that carries momentum better
so what if instead of a baseball, ur throwing a piece of shat? that's prly a better analogy for an epoxy firewire.

ur argument makes sense tho and i noticed it too. but i also think eps has faster rebound characteristics as well

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Firewire surfboards - space age technology for surfers that aren't good enough to tell the difference.
And
then buy otr from a shaper that can adjust dims. that way u can customize if u want to proceed. maybe this is all a moot point as 90% of surfers started within the last 2-3 years. most within the last 1. so they are catering to the masses of beginners who want to graduate from their wavestorm
I often sit at my local point and watch the carnage unfold in the water for the pure entertainment. Most of the surfers out there are kooks. So yes, it is a moot point. Which is my point exactly.

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
They can vacuum bag their boards 100 times. It’s not going to fix their faulty fin box installs. Ask any repair guy how much resin is under those boxes. And that’s an expensive repair.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
They can vacuum bag their boards 100 times. It’s not going to fix their faulty fin box installs. Ask any repair guy how much resin is under those boxes. And that’s an expensive repair.
Ill agree with this. Resin behind the boxes would go a long way.

• Wow
Reactions: MrSteve