Votes: 18 45.0%
  • Mostly yes

Votes: 22 55.0%

• Total voters

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Thank you! I bought a 6' 8" SS&B earlier this summer, and it is a solid board but didn't really appreciate it until recently. Over the summer/early fall I focused most of my attention on figuring out my shortboard - board, size, length, volume, fin set-up, etc. During the summer and early fall, the waves were broke closer to shore and punchier, and great for a shortboard. As soon as I figured the shortboard - go figure - haha, the winter waves started arriving and they changed sand bars, the waves are still a good size, but they a bit softer. Getting into the wave that tad bit earlier was night and day as far quality surf on the wave face.

How I got back on the SS&B, was by accident, I was actually considering selling the board at one point. We have an offshore reef break that doesn't get going until the waves 6 plus feet, and its a softer break. The ones scoring the best waves were are on longer boards. Long story, but I ended getting a single-fin 6' 10" CC Huntsman. Man, have I really grown to enjoy this board. I love the challenge of the board, it has wide range. I prefer the CC Huntsman over the SS&B for how the board surfs, but the SS&B definitely is way more high performance. Going form the CC Huntsman to the SS&B, unlocks all of the potential of the SS&B. With that said, to go have quality surf session and big smile, I grab the CC Huntsman.

I do notice the length of these boards but appreciate their characteristics so they have their place in the quiver. I had a good conversation with Matt at Album about a cheater, more playful board, and he is now building a modified 6' 0" Social with round tail, 4+1 fin set-up to provide lots of versatility in approach.

For those that are wondering, I am buying these boards to optimize beach breaks well away from crowds. The breaks are not as long, tend to close out, so getting in earlier is fundamental requirement to make the most of it. I realize that I am extremely lucky to have these types of uncrowded breaks. I have much, much better, amazing breaks near me, but IMO its not worth it with the crowds.
I definitely considered the Huntsman, which has a great look, but I thought it might be a little weak on the performance front and wanted something with more all-around capabilities. The cost and weight of the boards was another real consideration.

I had a 6'10 Flat Tracker once which I absolutely loved but it only did two things well - trim and cutback - going frontside only.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Have had more compliments on my surfing on my mid from guys I've been surfing with for years than I ever had on my shortboard. Perhaps that's a comment on my shortboarding, but I have to disagree that it just "feels like you're surfing well".

Once you get a mid wired, you actually ARE surfing well and people do notice. It might also be that you are catching more waves and are able to relax a bit and optimize them.

Of all the guys I surf with, the one who always rides a mid is one of the better and more stylish surfers and he's quite a bit younger than me and can ride a shortboard equally well.

No need to choose though you can surf both.

Bman76

Nep status
Mar 10, 2011
Have had more compliments on my surfing on my mid from guys I've been surfing with for years than I ever had on my shortboard. Perhaps that's a comment on my shortboarding, but I have to disagree that it just "feels like you're surfing well".

Once you get a mid wired, you actually ARE surfing well and people do notice. It might also be that you are catching more waves and are able to relax a bit and optimize them.

Of all the guys I surf with, the one who always rides a mid is one of the better and more stylish surfers and he's quite a bit younger than me and can ride a shortboard equally well.

No need to choose though you can surf both.
This - 100%